Yahoo: Nation's top high school guard considering playing overseas

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Yahoo:

The nation's No. 1 high school guard, Southern Methodist University signee Emmanuel Mudiay of Dallas, has been considering hiring an agent and taking a job playing overseas next season, sources told Yahoo Sports.

No decision has yet been reached on how Muiday will proceed, sources told Yahoo Sports.

Mudiay, an explosive 6-foot-5 guard, has been projected as a lottery pick in the 2015 NBA draft. The Chinese Basketball Association has been discussed as a possible destination for Mudiay, a native of the Congo.

"Don't have much to say about that," Brown told Yahoo Sports in a text message recently. "He's been [accepted] at SMU. Taking a few classes to be on the safe side."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...d-considering-playing-overseas-155248029.html

Go Gophers!!

Good for him. He's taking his life into his own hands and not whining and bitching about the NCAA. He still has just as good of a shot at the NBA, and he'll be making a great chunk of money in the meantime.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Can't overstate how big a blow it is for SMU to lose Emanual Mudiay. He was the ultimate breakthrough recruit.</p>— Seth Davis (@SethDavisHoops) <a href="https://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops/statuses/488745266279743488">July 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

It's important to note that it appears to be for concerns over amateurism, not academics...at least based on what I've read.

A good example why it's a huge risk to recruit prospects who have either major academic, social, and/or amateurism concerns. Not saying coaches should never do it, but you can really get burned big-time. SMU invested a lot of time and resources on a kid who appears will never step foot on campus. If Mudiay is anywhere near as good as they're saying, this is a major blow to SMU (basketball-wise).

That would be a MASSIVE kick in the balls! Imagine if Tyus signed here just to go play overseas. I hope to god this doesn't become a trend. I would hate to see college basketball play second fiddle to overseas leagues and reduce the talent pool even further than what the NBA has already done.

That would be a MASSIVE kick in the balls! Imagine if Tyus signed here just to go play overseas. I hope to god this doesn't become a trend. I would hate to see college basketball play second fiddle to overseas leagues and reduce the talent pool even further than what the NBA has already done.

Tyus and this guy are apples to oranges. Tyus had no question about being an amatuer. This guy clearly did. Like SS said, it is high risk recruiting guys with histories that are cloudy, even if the cloudiness is not of their doing. Who can blame him for getting out from under a civil war? His decisions prior to then probably were not about how to qualify at an NCAA school, but a few years later they affect him being able to qualify. Too bad for him mostly. If Larry Brown were a nicer guy, I would have some sympathy for him. I don't. Too bad, old man. The kid will make a living in China and then be in the NBA without helping you return to the Final Four.

Tyus and this guy are apples to oranges. Tyus had no question about being an amatuer. This guy clearly did. Like SS said, it is high risk recruiting guys with histories that are cloudy, even if the cloudiness is not of their doing. Who can blame him for getting out from under a civil war? His decisions prior to then probably were not about how to qualify at an NCAA school, but a few years later they affect him being able to qualify. Too bad for him mostly. If Larry Brown were a nicer guy, I would have some sympathy for him. I don't. Too bad, old man. The kid will make a living in China and then be in the NBA without helping you return to the Final Four.

I don't think qualifying had anything to do with it. This was all about making money to support his mom.

I'm fine with it. If this keeps the "pay the players" supporters quiet. I'm game. The majority will not want to go overseas, so I'm also not worried about this becoming a thing where every top 25 player is going overseas.

I don't think qualifying had anything to do with it. This was all about making money to support his mom.

Ding ding ding. He's quoted as saying he was tired of seeing his mom really struggle over the years. The opportunity was there to give his family a better life and he took it, and nobody can blame him for that.

If Mudiay is anywhere near as good as they're saying, this is a major blow to SMU (basketball-wise).

Well, the way Larry Brown operates I wouldn't be surprised if he has another guy like this in the fold next year.

Even without Mudiay, SMU is going to be pretty good. Still have Nic Moore at the point, had a couple other good recruits, and brought in Justin Martin as a grad transfer.

The way this went down (with an NCAA investigation apparently in the works), you can probably infer that he was already "making money to support his mom," ie took payments under the table.

I am fine with kid's that want to go pro going pro immediately. I don't need to see the UK farce happen again in my life time.
In fact the whole SEC can go pro any time they want.

The way this went down (with an NCAA investigation apparently in the works), you can probably infer that he was already "making money to support his mom," ie took payments under the table.

You should be an NCAA investigator with those assumptions.

It will be interesting to watch and see if this could be a trend. With the NBA pushing for a two year wait out of high school to enter the draft, these high risk and more NBA ready kids may start to see this as a preferable option. The money is decent and the level of play and scheduling is closer to NBA level. They go there and get paid to play and enter the draft when they become eligible. This might be a big negative for the NCAA.

Aren't they allowed to enter the D-League? That would be good competition, in a familiar setting, in front of NBA scouts. You can probably make more money overseas, but for one year, the D-League might make the most sense for some people.

Good for him. Bad for anyone who says that there aren't options for kids looking to go pro outside of the NCAA.

Aren't they allowed to enter the D-League? That would be good competition, in a familiar setting, in front of NBA scouts. You can probably make more money overseas, but for one year, the D-League might make the most sense for some people.

The D-League Max is around 30K. A top player at a school like Kentucky should easily top that in under the table payments. Euroleague on the other hand offers kids the opportunity to make well into six-figures. There's talk of increasing D-League pay. Right now, it doesn't make sense as an option. But if the NBA is going to end one and done by requiring a two year wait, overseas is a viable option.

The D-League Max is around 30K. A top player at a school like Kentucky should easily top that in under the table payments. Euroleague on the other hand offers kids the opportunity to make well into six-figures. There's talk of increasing D-League pay. Right now, it doesn't make sense as an option. But if the NBA is going to end one and done by requiring a two year wait, overseas is a viable option.

It sure would be.

Lol. I'm guessing that Mudiay didn't have the handlers/people around him to get him the money. He needs money and he didn't get it(enough?) here, event though he committed to as janky of a program as SMU. Going overseas makes sense.

I think this is great. If players need immediate money they can go play overseas, and if not they can be amateurs(with free education) over here

Except for kids that actually have a competitive spirit and want to play a team game.

The D-league is just AAU for adults.

This seems like a better paying wage than "room & board" for a few months in Texas. Per Yahoo:

Source: Emmanuel Mudiay agrees to $1.2 million deal to play in China

Emmanuel Mudiay has agreed to a one-year, $1.2 million contract with Guangdong of the China Basketball Association, the richest overseas contract ever for a high school player, a source told Yahoo Sports.

Mudiay, 19, had been faced with eligibility issues for his freshman season at Southern Methodist University under Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown and made the decision to play in China before becoming eligible for the 2015 NBA draft.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...-million-deal-to-play-in-china-150156352.html

Go Gophers!!

This seems like a better paying wage than "room & board" for a few months in Texas. Per Yahoo:

Source: Emmanuel Mudiay agrees to $1.2 million deal to play in China

Emmanuel Mudiay has agreed to a one-year, $1.2 million contract with Guangdong of the China Basketball Association, the richest overseas contract ever for a high school player, a source told Yahoo Sports.

Mudiay, 19, had been faced with eligibility issues for his freshman season at Southern Methodist University under Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown and made the decision to play in China before becoming eligible for the 2015 NBA draft.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...-million-deal-to-play-in-china-150156352.html

Go Gophers!!

Honestly, I don't know if 1.2 million would be enough for me to play in China... That is a lot of money for someone who likely has very little and no means to make more for a year....

Take out a couple loans and insurance plans, train for a full year, maybe do some camps just to tide you over until next years draft. Find any way to stay relevant.

Honestly, I don't know if 1.2 million would be enough for me to play in China... That is a lot of money for someone who likely has very little and no means to make more for a year....

Take out a couple loans and insurance plans, train for a full year, maybe do some camps just to tide you over until next years draft. Find any way to stay relevant.

If someone offered me 1.2 mil to play one year in China i couldnt sign fast enough. My guess is lots of 18 or 19 year olds would do the same. Im a little confused by your comment. Are you saying he should take out some personal loans and stay here instead of playing overseas?

If someone offered me 1.2 mil to play one year in China i couldnt sign fast enough. My guess is lots of 18 or 19 year olds would do the same. Im a little confused by your comment. Are you saying he should take out some personal loans and stay here instead of playing overseas?

You would do it because you aren't expecting to make multiple millions of dollars/year in a year and over the next few years like he is. I'm just saying given the option of doing what I said, take out an insurance policy, a high interest loan to get you through the next year and stay relevant state side would be more attractive TO ME than going to CHINA for 1.2 million and possibly falling of the face of the earth.

Now, my theory of staying relevant is easier said than done and this wild idea of mine is based on the fact that he could obtain an insurance policy that would get him some money if he didn't get drafted/hurt.

I just don't like China that much I guess is the point.

You would do it because you aren't expecting to make multiple millions of dollars/year in a year and over the next few years like he is. I'm just saying given the option of doing what I said, take out an insurance policy, a high interest loan to get you through the next year and stay relevant state side would be more attractive TO ME than going to CHINA for 1.2 million and possibly falling of the face of the earth.

Now, my theory of staying relevant is easier said than done and this wild idea of mine is based on the fact that he could obtain an insurance policy that would get him some money if he didn't get drafted/hurt.

I just don't like China that much I guess is the point.

Haha, I suspect China on 1.2 million would be ok.

He wants money now and who can blame him. As for taking on loans/ insurance policies, that is fine but what happens, as you mention, if he flames out? Lots of highly ranked high school kids don't make it to the NBA. Basically, you are suggesting a kid with no money take on debt and perhaps not get anything out of it.

Playing and cashing the check is the way to go.

Haha, I suspect China on 1.2 million would be ok.

He wants money now and who can blame him. As for taking on loans/ insurance policies, that is fine but what happens, as you mention, if he flames out? Lots of highly ranked high school kids don't make it to the NBA. Basically, you are suggesting a kid with no money take on debt and perhaps not get anything out of it.

Playing and cashing the check is the way to go.

I didn't say he should do that. I said I would do that. I can get a job outside of bball, for the rest of my life, not making 1.2 million/year, but enough to make living in the USA cover the gap.

In my first post i made the comment "That is a lot of money for someone who likely has very little and no means to make more for a year...." . I understand that would be very difficult for someone to turn down.

Top Bottom