STrib: High school teammates Josh Martin and Zach LaVine reunited in Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

LaVine said the only advice he's given Martin about the collegiate experience is to make sure he gets extra work in, and stays focused. Having witnessed his pal's routine for half a decade, LaVine knows those goals won't be a problem.

Martin, he said, is as serious about the game as they come -- his personality, though, is anything but.

"[He's] someone that's really goofy and outgoing and is definitely going to be an energizer bunny on the court," LaVine said, describing Martin. "An exciting player, and someone whose always going to be happy. He always had a smile on his face."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/267035621.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

We could see a lot of T-Wolves at Gopher games this year; LaVine, Dieng, and even Flip & Ryan Saunders. Can't hurt.

Back in Bothell, a small suburb Northeast of Seattle and Lake Washington, LaVine and Martin would hang out at each other's houses or the mall from time to time, and get food together. The best bet to find them, though, would be in the gym, where the two hyper athletes would shoot together, play one-on-one or stage impromptu dunk contests.

Who would win?

"See, he's going to say him, but he's never beat me," LaVine said. "He's going to definitely have to bring something out of his bag of tricks to beat me."

LaVine hopes to keep up the tradition, perhaps rotating the setting. The Wolves guard wants to check out the university campus -- and drag teammates Glenn Robinson III and Shabazz Muhammad over to Williams Arena once games begin -- as well as bring Martin over to Target Center for the pro experience.

That certainly won't hurt. :)

Is it selfish of me to point out that the thing I most look forward to about Martin is the possibility of the Dunk Show returning to Williams Arena?

Is it selfish of me to point out that the thing I most look forward to about Martin is the possibility of the Dunk Show returning to Williams Arena?
I'm just excited that we might get a couple of dunks in games again.

Hollins and Mo were the only two that put anything down that wasn't a glorified layup. Oto had one put back slam that was stand up worthy but the rest of our team is vertically challenged!

I'm just excited that we might get a couple of dunks in games again.

Hollins and Mo were the only two that put anything down that wasn't a glorified layup. Oto had one put back slam that was stand up worthy but the rest of our team is vertically challenged!

Forgot about Buggs when he is on the court.

I don't think we were that vertically challenged last year, i think first Rodney and then Austin, Trevor and Coleman all just spoiled us and we have set the bar pretty high for dunkers at Minnesota.

I don't think we were that vertically challenged last year, i think first Rodney and then Austin, Trevor and Coleman all just spoiled us and we have set the bar pretty high for dunkers at Minnesota.

Let's agree to disagree. Regardless of the high bar set in 2012/13, I would bet a couple of bucks that we were in the bottom 10-20% of "team dunks per game" (of the big 6 conferences). This is probably a super important statistic that most sites track. ;)

I know, I know... that doesn't win conference titles.

Semantics aside, we missed quite a few bunnies because our 5 and 4's couldn't throw down with authority.

Of course Josh will pay his own way at the game. Important to point that out.

I get your drift, but not sure that's true if comp tickets are simply coming from a high school buddy with no connection to the U, and are in no way related to the fact that he's a college basketball player (as opposed to a HS friend in the area). I could be wrong, though, and with U alums coaching the Wolves it could appear improper.

A lot more Wolves than that have been at games. I sat right by Dieng when he was there with Rubio and Barea. I think there was a 4th, but I can't remember who. And of course Love, though I suspect he won't be returning, haha. I definitely think it helps when pro athletes somewhat regularly attend games. It legitimizes programs (to a degree). I think it makes it appeal to younger MN fans too. Gotta compensate for having likely the oldest average age for fans attending games.

I love watching Pitino make progress so quickly with recruiting tools and reputation in places like NYC. Not that I think Pitino is leaving soon, bu I wish it weren't so damn easy for coaches to leave programs.

We could see a lot of T-Wolves at Gopher games this year; LaVine, Dieng, and even Flip & Ryan Saunders. Can't hurt.

Amelia and Trib are barred from speaking to Gopher players!!!!! Is this because the Trib coverage in not sports news but is bought and paid for advertising for pro teams? Or is because Amelia writes about drinking and seeing big-foot?

copy and paste from below link
"Media is unable to speak with Minnesota's incoming freshmen over the summer, per team rules"

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/267035621.html

Thank you Pitino cut them off all the way!

Amelia and Trib are barred from speaking to Gopher players!!!!! Is this because the Trib coverage in not sports news but is bought and paid for advertising for pro teams? Or is because Amelia writes about drinking and seeing big-foot?

"Media is unable to speak with Minnesota's incoming freshmen over the summer, per team rules"

huh?! almost every team in the country does this for every major sport. this dates back to monson, tubby and now pitino here. kill does it. duke does it. unc does it. syracuse does it. should i go on? sheesh.

Or, it could be because Pitino doesn't want freshmen to speak to the media until they've been through the offseason and have stepped on the court in a real game. This is becoming fairly standard for both basketball and football. But yeah, let's go with your silly conspiracy theories. Also, it's all media, not just the Strib, and not just Amelia Rayno.

Pitino can do better! Cut the trib off all the way; let Marcus and the PP cover the Gophers. The Washington Post already has way better coverage on Dorsey than the Trib...
Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post

huh?! almost every team in the country does this for every major sport. this dates back to monson, tubby and now pitino here. kill does it. duke does it. unc does it. syracuse does it. should i go on? sheesh.

Pitino can do better! Cut the trib off all the way; let Marcus and the PP cover the Gophers. The Washington Post already has way better coverage on Dorsey than the Trib...

and the trib has "way better coverage" on tyus jones than the papers in north carolina. apparently some don't understand how newspaper coverage works and would rather bash.

and the trib has "way better coverage" on tyus jones than the papers in north carolina. apparently some don't understand how newspaper coverage works and would rather bash.

WHO?

Because Marcus is so great...

Because Marcus is so great...

Marcus is just the best of the big local press... Gopherhole interviews are good, Chris Monter's writes good stuff...

Trib just is a downer; little or no coverage of the world cup once USA was out> then there is a million pages on Baseball All Star game that takes me less than minute to page though and come to the conclusion I am done... Amelia's story if you want to call it a story did not even make print till a day late...

Even the Twins who have this great outdoor free public area by Target Field (Target Field Station); where they showed the USA soccer games pulled the plug and did not show the semifinals or finals of the World Cup games since they were busy with the All Star game; which I happily did not watch...

New York banned or tired to ban big sodas >> maybe Minnesota should ban baseball, football, basketball and all sports that allow for TV timeout causing our population to snack as they watch; leading to an epidemic of overweight people.... Soccer is nonstop action maybe we should follow the world and grow spectator sports not revenue sports...

Go get them Lori Swanson >>> craw it all back...

Top Bottom