Who Will Be The Second 2015 Commitment?

Who will be the second 2015 Gopher commit?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't think it looks good with Illik. going out East. So I'm going w/ Clarke.

I'll be surprised if Alex isn't a Gopher with Creighton now out of the picture. He's likely to make his decision before he heads East; I honestly think the whole prep school move doesn't have much impact at all with Minnesota's chances with Alex. I don't think he was looking to get out of the state; it was simply the best move for his development instead of being quadruple-teamed at Grand Rapids all year. Now Rashad going to Vegas was a different story.

I'll be surprised if Alex isn't a Gopher with Creighton now out of the picture. He's likely to make his decision before he heads East; I honestly think the whole prep school move doesn't have much impact at all with Minnesota's chances with Alex. I don't think he was looking to get out of the state; it was simply the best move for his development instead of being quadruple-teamed at Grand Rapids all year. Now Rashad going to Vegas was a different story.

So funny to imagine. And probably so true.

I'll bet your spot on; I'm thinking he is looking for an opportunity to work on playing small forward, whereas if he stayed at Grand Rapids his development is limited by needs of the team.

I'm glad the Grand Rapids kid is going to the east prep school. He'll be way ahead in skill development when he moves back to play for the Gophers.

I'll bet your spot on; I'm thinking he is looking for an opportunity to work on playing small forward, whereas if he stayed at Grand Rapids his development is limited by needs of the team.

I think you make a great point. At Grand Rapids, he's going to play almost exclusively down low due to his size and the other teams' lack of size. Now, he can play more outside.

For me the "when" is killing me more than the "who". Bets on WHEN we get verbal #2?

McBrayer, Whitt, Clarke, Illikainen, Johnson and Walton are all seriously considering the Gophers. I think McBrayer will be our next commit.
I would believe that if any of them decided to commit that Richard would accept them as the second commit. This really makes it interesting because once the second commit occurs the other five remaining will need to realize that they either commit to secure one of the last two remaining spots or they risk not having a spot open for them. The Dorsey commit was key to get them thinking, but after the next commit, the dominos should fall quickly for the last two spots.

McBrayer, Whitt, Clarke, Illikainen, Johnson and Walton are all seriously considering the Gophers. I think McBrayer will be our next commit.
I would believe that if any of them decided to commit that Richard would accept them as the second commit. This really makes it interesting because once the second commit occurs the other five remaining will need to realize that they either commit to secure one of the last two remaining spots or they risk not having a spot open for them. The Dorsey commit was key to get them thinking, but after the next commit, the dominos should fall quickly for the last two spots.

Man, I love posts like this!!! Get after 'em Coach!

Would we even accept McBrayer's commitment today? He seems like a little step down from some other guys we are after.. but who knows. Anyone Pitino wants is good enough for me.

Would we even accept McBrayer's commitment today? He seems like a little step down from some other guys we are after.. but who knows. Anyone Pitino wants is good enough for me.

I think we would, but isn't Grimes seriously considering us as well. be nice to have a 6'7" Wing

I was wondering the same thing... Anyone "in the know" have any idea?

I was wondering the same thing... Anyone "in the know" have any idea?
I'm certainly not in the know but my guess would be his offer is currently not committable. I think Pitino has his sights set on a Dorsey, Johnson, Clarke, and Illikainen class. While Clarke is probably a long shot, the other two are considered Gopher leans which means Rich can be a little picky at the moment with that 4th spot, most likely a wing. Whether or not McBrayer is their 2nd choice after Clarke is hard to say. That's how I see it anyways.

Would Walton satisfy as a wing for this class? Or are we strictly looking for a legit 6-7 wing that has the ability to play the 4 if needed?

Would Walton satisfy as a wing for this class? Or are we strictly looking for a legit 6-7 wing that has the ability to play the 4 if needed?

Excellent question...this squad needs some 6'6-6'8 wing players IMO.

Committable Offers?

I would have to believe that if an offer is made to a student athlete and they say they are willing to commit that the conversation is over at that point. What would a coach say if they are offering a kid and the kid says great, I will accept the offer? Do you really think at that point the coach would hold or remove the offer?

I agree with a kid who we are watching that has never been offered, but once a kid is offered our coaches talk to them on a regular basis. Do you really think they tell a kid, we are offering you but we will only accept you if Billy Johnson says no. Doubt that would be very successful.

From what I have read about McBrayer, it would be a stretch to take him along with Jarvis and Dorsey. I've read where someone close to him (dad/coach, can't remember off the top of my head) that Dupree is more of a lead guard and has interest in schools recruiting him as such. I think he works fine with Dorsey, but we would be really, really, small if McBrayer was our "3"/"wing" recruit. The other interesting thing about McBrayer is that he hasn't decided on a prep school yet for next season. Part of me wonders if he's a possibility to come to Minnesota this Fall if one one of our big men doesn't make it here for whatever reason.

Chris Clarke is the real prize on the list to me. Hopefully, the early work the staff put in on Clarke will keep the Gophers in the running for him. I know Buzz has been on him a long time as well, so I am just as worried about the Hokies as I am about UConn/Florida with his recruitment.

The other interesting thing about McBrayer is that he hasn't decided on a prep school yet for next season. Part of me wonders if he's a possibility to come to Minnesota this Fall if one one of our big men doesn't make it here for whatever reason.

I don't think so. It's not that unusual to not decide on a prep school until last minute. Dorsey hasn't decided on his, either.

I think Clarke is a real long shot at this point. With multiple East coast offers I think this will be really tough.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/jktennis22">@jktennis22</a> yes, without a doubt. If it wasn't they wouldn't be here. And as a gopher fan, you want him. Need 2 wings in this class still</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/492108189450522625">July 24, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pretty sure all four votes for McBrayer were prior to him committing.

Nice call Big Ten Championship, corcoran1, leftyslefty, and nooram!

I would love to hear from Rouser, Jaymil and EG#9 who posted negatively on the McBrayer prediction and the belief that his offer wasn't committable. There should be a rule that they need to post how they will do penance for their disbelief.

Only Ryan James and I believed the offer was committable. We signed a great guard tonight that will make a difference in the program.

We didn't sign anyone tonight, but we know what you mean.

Top Bottom