Dorsey Commits to Gophers!!!!!!!!!

If Morris and McNeil remain the top options at the 3 for 2015/16, then something has gone very wrong with this recruiting class.

No, I'd turn that around. If we have an incoming freshman starting at the wing in 2015 over Morris (sr) and McNeil (jr), then something has gone very wrong with Morris and McNeil.

The top wing we're recruiting, Chris Clarke, is one of the top 60 or so players in the nation and yet I can tell you with confidence -- having watched him in person as well as on film -- that while he's an exciting talent, he is a *raw* talent nowhere near ready to start at the 3 in the big ten as a freshman.

No, I'd turn that around. If we have an incoming freshman starting at the wing in 2015 over Morris (sr) and McNeil (jr), then something has gone very wrong with Morris and McNeil.

The top wing we're recruiting, Chris Clarke, is one of the top 60 or so players in the nation and yet I can tell you with confidence -- having watched him in person as well as on film -- that while he's an exciting talent, he is a *raw* talent nowhere near ready to start at the 3 in the big ten as a freshman.

The problem position last season was the 4 and Coach P. made a strong move to address that. This season the problem position will be the 3 and I expect him to do the same. Once again if need be, Lofton is already on campus. I can certainly see him going Dorsey, Mason, and Lofton.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>26 minutes into the game, no Team Philly player has attacked past Kevin Dorsey to the paint. And they've tried numerous times</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/492146362331308035">July 24, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Absolutely love this tweet!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>26 minutes into the game, no Team Philly player has attacked past Kevin Dorsey to the paint. And they've tried numerous times</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/492146362331308035">July 24, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Absolutely love this tweet!!

woah!!

Anyone else read into this that he'd be a Day 1 starter?

With Dre and Dre graduating, a lot of minutes will be opening up.

2015-16
Dorsey / Mason
Lofton / ???
Morris / McNeil
Martin / King / Buggs
Konate / Diedhiou

Probably need one or two more wings in this class, not only for 15-16 but looking ahead to 16-17 after Morris graduates. Maybe another big man, too.

Pitino said "think Hollins" about Mason and you don't think he can play sg? McNeil will play 2 also, with good chance to start I there.

Pitino said "think Hollins" about Mason and you don't think he can play sg? McNeil will play 2 also, with good chance to start I there.

I'm sure Mason will see time at the two this year, but Mason has had more time at point in his high school career than Hollins ever did. Hollins played with Joe Jackson for three years in high school and played mostly off the ball, then switched to PG after Joe graduated. Hollins is a serviceable PG no doubt, but Mason looks to be a more complete PG than Hollins was coming out of high school. Mason should have a leg up over Dorsey for the starting spot in 2015-2016, but both of them could see time together on the court as well.

I'm sure Mason will see time at the two this year, but Mason has had more time at point in his high school career than Hollins ever did. Hollins played with Joe Jackson for three years in high school and played mostly off the ball, then switched to PG after Joe graduated. Hollins is a serviceable PG no doubt, but Mason looks to be a more complete PG than Hollins was coming out of high school. Mason should have a leg up over Dorsey for the starting spot in 2015-2016, but both of them could see time together on the court as well.

+1

Yes, I know all about the history of Hollins HS pg vs. Mason's HS pg experience.

I was reacting to Lofton listed as the only option at sg, which is preposterous.

If I were going to predict today, I'd bet Mason-McNeil-Morris... Lofton off the bench, and a major contributor.

Yes, I know all about the history of Hollins HS pg vs. Mason's HS pg experience.

I was reacting to Lofton listed as the only option at sg, which is preposterous.

If I were going to predict today, I'd bet Mason-McNeil-Morris... Lofton off the bench, and a major contributor.

I don't believe there is anyone in the program that can beat out Lofton. To me the only question is whether he will start at the 2 or the 3.

I don't believe there is anyone in the program that can beat out Lofton. To me the only question is whether he will start at the 2 or the 3.

Please. He didn't even start at Ill. State and earned 23mpg. I like what he will bring to the team, but not sure where you would come up with him as lock to start.

McNeil will have two years under his belt in the B1G under Pitino. Morris will be a Senior and most likley coming off a full season as a starter.

Please. He didn't even start at Ill. State and earned 23mpg. I like what he will bring to the team, but not sure where you would come up with him as lock to start.

McNeil will have two years under his belt in the B1G under Pitino. Morris will be a Senior and most likley coming off a full season as a starter.

Offensively McNeil isn't nearly as dangerous as Lofton, not sure about the defense and how Lofton will integrate into the team concept but I have a feeling Lofton starts ahead of both McNeil and Morris.

Offensively McNeil isn't nearly as dangerous as Lofton, not sure about the defense and how Lofton will integrate into the team concept but I have a feeling Lofton starts ahead of both McNeil and Morris.

Probably not Morris but definitely Mcneil. To be honest i don't even know if Mcneil will be that much better than Armelin.

That's ridiculous. He's already better. He's a much better defender and he doesn't hog the ball and jack up shots.

Probably not Morris but definitely Mcneil. To be honest i don't even know if Mcneil will be that much better than Armelin.

That's ridiculous. He's already better. He's a much better defender and he doesn't hog the ball and jack up shots.

I agree. McNeil can give us minutes defensively at the 1, 2 and 3 which is valuable. I thought Coach P. did a good job of using McNeil where his still developing offensive game didn't hurt us. McNeil is 6-3, 195 lbs., handles the ball well enough to fill in at the point, and is a good rebounder for his size. I think McNeil and Morris are going to have a battle for the 3 this year. As we speak, McNeil has almost 20 lbs. on Morris and a fair number of B1G minutes. He gives up 2 inches and range on his jump shot, but is reminiscent of Joe Coleman when he takes the ball to the hole.

That goes both ways... 5 of 7 or ZERO of 7

The coaches have a year to work with Lofton. In a article about him the coaches stated that review of every shot Lofton took last year showed a whole lot of challenged three pointers which they will try to eliminate. So far the track record of this staff is that they have done the work to develop players. At the start of last year Mattheui was a turnover machine and that got fixed. Walker lost the weight and became a solid Big Ten center. The only player who didn't adjust was Smith and he found the bench as the year went on. I'm confident they will develop and improve Lofton.

I'm confident they will develop and improve Lofton.

Me too. Just not convinced it will be enough to beat out a solid player like McNeil in his third year in the B1G.

If Dorsey is as good as advertised we will need to find ways to keep him on the court, which could shift Mason over to the 2 spot more.

Back to the original point; Lofton is not our only option at the 2 and IMO he is no lock to start.

Lofton will be the biggest question mark and most intriguing player going into next season. On paper he doesn't seem like a game changer at the wing. More of a solid contributor, like a spark plug off the bench. The coaches however are talking like he's a high 4-star/5-star type talent. I'm going to take their word for it and assume he's our leading scorer and go-to player next season, no matter how hard it is to imagine that. Haha

The coaches however are talking like he's a high 4-star/5-star type talent

I'm sure he looks that way in individual workouts... more curious to see if the comments continue or slow down after team practices and scrimmages take place.

I'm sure he looks that way in individual workouts... more curious to see if the comments continue or slow down after team practices and scrimmages take place.

I think the comments may "slow down" a bit once the team really gets going and get into the season, but I don't think it will based on his practice performance.

I think it will be based on the fact that Lofton will not be able to contribute in games until next year... The audience probably doesn't care to hear a lot about a player who can not help them against our next opponent and the coach can't put him into the current gameplan so no need to focus on him too much.

After the first team practice Pitino still seemed very impressed.

http://www.gophersports.com/blog/richardpitino/

Lofton is a lock to start barring injury,I heard in open gym he's had to guard Joey King and is doing a great job at it
His not starting at ISU had more to do with them knowing he wasn't coming back,they put him in when they needed him.He was their only player that could do anything on the road.If you take the time to look up the last 8 games or so you'd see much better #s.

Does it even matter if he didn't start if he was still their second leading scorer?

Does it even matter if he didn't start if he was still their second leading scorer?

I've always put more weight on minutes played and who is in late in the 4th quarter myself. But yes it should matter to people that say he's a 'lock' to start.

Lofton is a lock to start barring injury,I heard in open gym he's had to guard Joey King and is doing a great job at it
His not starting at ISU had more to do with them knowing he wasn't coming back,they put him in when they needed him.He was their only player that could do anything on the road.If you take the time to look up the last 8 games or so you'd see much better #s.

What are you basing this opinion on? We are 15 months out from game #1 2015 and you are saying a guy we haven't seen compete at the Big Ten level will start over a guy we haven't seen compete at the Big Ten level and over another guy with limited minutes at the Big Ten level on a roster that isn't even established yet? I know this is a forum for opinions, but "a lock"?

Not gonna get off topic on a Dorsey thread
But Coach P ain't in the game to redshirt a headcase 6th man,with the last scholarship,come on man

Not gonna get off topic on a Dorsey thread
But Coach P ain't in the game to redshirt a headcase 6th man,with the last scholarship,come on man

If it was the last scholarship and the calendar happened to say November, then I would agree with you. But the options at the end of April may have been Lofton or keeping Shell on scholarship. At that point, it was a risk worth taking with very little downside.

Too many variables to start naming a starting line-up for 2015. The starter may not even be on the roster yet. I'm also not going to diminish the improvement that McNeil showed last year and may exhibit this year and/or what Carlos Morris may bring this year. You may be right, but it's far from "a lock".

"I'm not gonna say he'll be our best player,but he has more talent than ANYONE in our basketball program","he has the size...."I can't remember all the quotes,addition to being able to play multiple positions on both sides of the ball.He's pretty locked in IMO which I'm entitled to,but that's all any of this is isn't it?One persons opinion.

Top Bottom