Rau returning to Gophers!!!!!!!!!

STrib: No early departures for Gophers hockey this offseason, Rau will return for senior year

Kyle Rau announced he will return to the Gophers’ first line next season. The senior forward broadcasted his decision in swim trunks on a beach in Florida.

“I’m going back to the university again, for one more year, hopefully we’ll be back playing in that [national championship] game again. We’ll see, though,” Rau told the Florida Panthers video team on Wednesday after Day 3 of the club's developmental camp.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/266695731.html

Go Gophers!!

GopherSports: Cue the Rau-ser: Gophers Captain Set to Return

Gopher Hockey All-American and team captain Kyle Rau will return to the University of Minnesota for his senior season, the Eden Prairie, Minn., native announced today during Florida Panthers prospect development camp.

"I love playing hockey at Minnesota and wearing the Maroon & Gold," Rau said. "Deep down, I know that we have unfinished business here. With the talent we have coming back and the new guys coming in, I think we can have a really special season next year. I'd also like to thank the Florida Panthers. They are a great organization, and I appreciate their understanding of my decision."

http://www.gophersports.com/blog/20...rn.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

We better enjoy this year. Next year, our roster is going to get absolutely pillaged. This one could be special.

We better enjoy this year. Next year, our roster is going to get absolutely pillaged. This one could be special.

Yes, that's true. Makes me nervous to have so much riding on this year. Next year we lose Boyd, Rau, Ambroz, Marshall, Warning, and very possibly Wilcox, Skjei, Reilly, Fasching, and possibly others. Almost half the guys who see regular ice time could turn over. What kind of a freshman class do we have coming in next year?

Yes, that's true. Makes me nervous to have so much riding on this year. Next year we lose Boyd, Rau, Ambroz, Marshall, Warning, and very possibly Wilcox, Skjei, Reilly, Fasching, and possibly others. Almost half the guys who see regular ice time could turn over. What kind of a freshman class do we have coming in next year?

As usual, a very good one, so I'm not concerned. There may be a few guys that get accelerated to come in early, but it wouldn't be at all surprising to see Sheehy, Norman, Novak, Baker and Ramsey come in. That group right there would rank amongst the country's best classes for next year. The biggest concern I would have is in losing Wilcox. In that scenario, Lehr would probably come in and start with Halladay possibly coming in early to back up.

As for next year, the team will be locked and loaded from day one. They should start the season ranked either #1 or #2 and will be amongst the favorites to win it all. How they adjust to that pressure will tell a lot of the story of how the season goes.

They should start the season ranked either #1 or #2 and will be amongst the favorites to win it all.

"Amongst" the favorites? I realize all bets are off when you hit the ice and other teams have talent, but on paper who could possibly challenge the Gophers for the top spot going into next year? We were ranked #1 for most of the latter half of last year, and return about 90% of our scoring, our goalie, and most of our defense. BC lost a lot, UND lost their leading scorer (and almost missed the NCAAs anyway), Wisconsin lost a lot, Union lost practically everything... if we don't start the season as the unanimous #1 I'd be shocked.

"Amongst" the favorites? I realize all bets are off when you hit the ice and other teams have talent, but on paper who could possibly challenge the Gophers for the top spot going into next year? We were ranked #1 for most of the latter half of last year, and return about 90% of our scoring, our goalie, and most of our defense. BC lost a lot, UND lost their leading scorer (and almost missed the NCAAs anyway), Wisconsin lost a lot, Union lost practically everything... if we don't start the season as the unanimous #1 I'd be shocked.

Sometimes pollsters will give the previous national champion the preseason #1 national ranking as a courtesy heading into the next season. Would be surprised if it happens this time, but it has happened in the past.

With that said, I agree that the Gophers are the best team in the country on paper heading into next season. It's now up to them to prove it on the ice.

Team is definitely loaded for next year and I don't see any way that they aren't the odds on favorite to win it all next year. Should be a special team no matter what happens. Lucia better have them ready to play night in and night out. On paper I don't see any team that will match up with them or really come even close. If we stay healthy, anything less than a National title will be disappointing. Now how the boys (especially after losing a guy like Condon) will handle knowing that fact will be what dictates how it all turns out.

Top Bottom