NIT Tip Off having troubles getting teams.

NIT confirms there will only be 8 teams and will not pursue an additional 8 teams. This means the format would have to change from previous years. If new format holds, each of the four hosts (Minnesota, Gonzaga, Georgia and SJU) would only play 1 home game and then 3 neutral site games, instead of the original two home games.

The wrinkle is that teams might be incentivized to schedule home and homes with others in the field to get two home games now that the field is smaller, so there is sort of a wait-and-see if rest of the teams buy into the format. Richmond, for instance, is known to be looking for two games to fill schedule and could start a domino effect if they poach the other teams instead of going to the tournament.
3 or 2 neutral site games?

Is anyone hearing anything new on the status of the NIT Season Tip-Off?

Andy Katz quit giving updates on his "3 Point Shot" over 2 weeks ago and I feel like the non-conference schedule should be completely known by the public by now

For a tournament ran by the NCAA, it sure is a complete mess. Who was the mastermind who came up with the idea that host teams in the NIT Season Tip-Off would not be guaranteed to play at MSG?

Sounds like they've settled on an 8-team tournament, but they're still trying to figure out how who'll play who & where, and what the format will be. Best guess is that the host teams (Gophers, Gonzaga, Georgia, SJU) will be guaranteed one home game (instead of 2) and a pair of games in NYC, regardless win or lose in the home quarterfinals.

It's definitely a mess. I suspect the Gophers' nonconference schedule will be released within the next week or so, but without the final details of who they'll play in the NIT. I suspect we may not get that piece of the non-con sked info until September.

Western Kentucky releases full schedule except for NIT

Release indicates NIT Season Tip-Off games are still to be determined.

So that tells me to this point no one has bailed on the tournament.

Looks like Stony Brook plays Gonzaga, Georgia, and Western Kentucky in the NIT Season Tip-Off...

Western Kentucky's schedule never mentioned them playing Stony Brook, so...

College basketball countdown: No. 66 Stony Brook

Aug 6, 2014 - Scott Gleason

Scheduling is never easy at the mid-major level, especially when the program has a vaunted home venue. Stony Brook is in the preseason NIT, and they play Cincinnati, Providence, Georgia, Western Kentucky and Gonzaga. Not bad.

Top Bottom