NIT Tip Off having troubles getting teams.

Not good. This likely increases the chances the Gophers will get no help (schedule wise) from their 2 NIT home opponents. We might even see a non-D1 team in the Gophers' pod.

Not good. This likely increases the chances the Gophers will get no help (schedule wise) from their 2 NIT home opponents. We might even see a non-D1 team in the Gophers' pod.

If they go with the scaled down version, maybe the schedule makers could go on the hunt for a high grade home game or two to replace the lost home games? A guy can dream can't he?

If they go with the scaled down version, maybe the schedule makers could go on the hunt for a high grade home game or two to replace the lost home games? A guy can dream can't he?

If what's been reported so far is true (North Dakota, UNC-Wilmington, UMBC), the non-con home sked is off to a rip-roaring start!

NIT format change, or potentially in limbo, per Andy Katz

Only 8 teams (of 16) are lined up, and according to Katz two of the main four (Gonzaga and Georgia) are waiting to see what happens. A potential format change could mean only 1 home game for the Gophers (instead of 2), with the final 2-3 games in New York. Per Katz, no word on what Pitino's thinking is.

This has the potential to be a major scheduling clusterF for the Gophers. If Gonzaga and Georgia bail (teams we're counting on for the Gophers' nonconference SOS, assuming they all get to MSG), at this late date who does Pitino find to fill the schedule slot(s)?

Looks like the NIT could be on its last gasp. Just our luck that it may bottom out the year the Gophers play in it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...538/3-point-shot-nit-format-good-for-st-johns

My fault. I didn't see Katz's 1st segment on the NIT problems. Mods please move this to that thread.

We wouldn't have to worry about the SOS implications of how the tournaments shake out if we would also schedule some high quality, major conference opponents in the out of conference schedule.

We wouldn't have to worry about the SOS implications of how the tournaments shake out if we would also schedule some high quality, major conference opponents in the out of conference schedule.

Yep.

Am a fool for even thinking this (fool me once. ... fool me twice), but maybe somehow the Gophers will get a quality home game out of this NIT mess, if not from the NIT then a home-and-home in its place?

Time for the NIT to get creative. How about a double-elimination format?

Do we know why the NIT is struggling?

My guess is lots of competition from the exempt tournaments and getting sixteen teams is a tall order. They could have a nice competive eight team tourney in MSG and get a lot of takers. Great place to visit for fans, even if a little pricey. Everyone wants to go to New York.

My guess is lots of competition from the exempt tournaments and getting sixteen teams is a tall order. They could have a nice competive eight team tourney in MSG and get a lot of takers. Great place to visit for fans, even if a little pricey. Everyone wants to go to New York.

I can't believe they haven't been doing that all along. I've never understood their present concept.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gophers?src=hash">#Gophers</a> hoops note w/ preseason NIT in flux: told they are "probably" staying in, but haven't gotten to point of discussing other options.</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/487700578068201472">July 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I can see Gonzaga pulling out of this. They play a good enough non-conference usually. Would that cause it to fall apart?

I say bag it, schedule home n homes with two of Gonz/Ga/SJU (1 home, 1 away), and call it a day. That way Gophs are assured of getting 2 quality games.

I say bag it, schedule home n homes with two of Gonz/Ga/SJU (1 home, 1 away), and call it a day. That way Gophs are assured of getting 2 quality games.

+1. Gonzaga needs to be one of the two though.

Any chance they would schedule a couple of good opponents or no chance?

Edit: I say bag it, schedule home n homes with two of Gonz/Ga/SJU (1 home, 1 away), and call it a day. That way Gophs are assured of getting 2 quality games.

Like you said SS?

Possible this could work out OK? Replace the likely crappy 2 NIT home games with a quality home game, then just have the Gophers, SJU, Georgia, and Zags play a 4-team NIT @ MSG.

Possible this could work out OK? Replace the likely crappy 2 NIT home games with a quality home game, then just have the Gophers, SJU, Georgia, and Zags play a 4-team NIT @ MSG.

This just could be where it is headed, SS?

Can someone summarize?

NIT confirms there will only be 8 teams and will not pursue an additional 8 teams. This means the format would have to change from previous years. If new format holds, each of the four hosts (Minnesota, Gonzaga, Georgia and SJU) would only play 1 home game and then 3 neutral site games, instead of the original two home games.

The wrinkle is that teams might be incentivized to schedule home and homes with others in the field to get two home games now that the field is smaller, so there is sort of a wait-and-see if rest of the teams buy into the format. Richmond, for instance, is known to be looking for two games to fill schedule and could start a domino effect if they poach the other teams instead of going to the tournament.

NIT confirms there will only be 8 teams and will not pursue an additional 8 teams. This means the format would have to change from previous years. If new format holds, each of the four hosts (Minnesota, Gonzaga, Georgia and SJU) would only play 1 home game and then 3 neutral site games, instead of the original two home games.

The wrinkle is that teams might be incentivized to schedule home and homes with others in the field to get two home games now that the field is smaller, so there is sort of a wait-and-see if rest of the teams buy into the format. Richmond, for instance, is known to be looking for two games to fill schedule and could start a domino effect if they poach the other teams instead of going to the tournament.

So what I'm reading is three decent games in New York, one crappy game here and one open date. If Richmond is looking for games, I'd be glad to see them on our schedule again. Not exactly Tier 1 game, but decent and I think much better than any of our other home games.

Top Bottom