STrib: Gophers basketball summer series: Carlos Morris [7/25: New 2014 highlight vid]

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

At least six times a day, Minnesota basketball strength and conditioning coach Shaun Brown will hear his cell phone buzz and see, on the screen, a plate of food next to Carlos Morris' smiling face.

Since Morris, the Gophers' junior college addition to the 2014-15 class, arrived on campus in late May, the team has operated with two major goals in mind for the guard:

Find structure. And bulk up.

That's why six times a day -- the number of meals Morris is consuming, plus protein shakes -- the new guard will send along picture proof to his trainer, of sandwiches, of Papa Johns pizza at 9 p.m.

"We don't reinvent the wheel by any stretch of the imagination but our biggest thing is we just give guys routine and structure and if they're willing to abide by it, the system works," Gophers assistant Dan McHale said. "He's been a very, very pleasant surprise. You recruit kids, you get to know them, but you don't really know how they're going to be on a day-to-day basis, and he's been great."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/266057411.html

Go Gophers!!

Squirrel appears like another Golden Nugget to Pitino's treasure chest. Really pulling for him to break out big time. Pitino can find ballers without the 5 star rating. We will have a very nice season this year!

The negative journalists in this town are obnoxious, but there's no denying that they possess the skills to write. Amelia, on the other hand...

"That's why six times a day -- the number of meals Morris is consuming, plus protein shakes -- the new guard will send along picture proof to his trainer, of sandwiches, of Papa Johns pizza at 9 p.m."

The negative journalists in this town are obnoxious, but there's no denying that they possess the skills to write. Amelia, on the other hand...

"That's why six times a day -- the number of meals Morris is consuming, plus protein shakes -- the new guard will send along picture proof to his trainer, of sandwiches, of Papa Johns pizza at 9 p.m."

Haha

She likes commas.

I shouldn't talk though I know next to nothing when it comes to grammar.

Interesting to see McHale say that he is "a very different player than Austin" where the consensus on this board has been he is an Austin-Like player.

Very pleased to see that Andre is his roommate and he's working out with DeAndre. Those three need to be absolute studs.

This stuff was the staple of Clem's success. He was not out there getting top 10 recruiting classes but he developed their skills and their strength. We could be in for a very enjoyable year of Gopher buckets and perhaps for years to come.

Interesting to see McHale say that he is "a very different player than Austin" where the consensus on this board has been he is an Austin-Like player.

I don't think that's the case. Everyone knows he is our hopeful replacement for Austin, but I don't think anyone has really considered them similar players. Carlos is almost a big PG in that he has a very good handle and apparently a very good passer. I'm not sure he'll be as good of a defender as Austin, at least not right away. One thing I think they'll both have in common though is streaky perimeter shooting.

I can't wait to see what our offense looks like with 3 very good ball handlers in the starting lineup. Should be fun to watch and a complete 180 to Tubby's last couple of years here.

As long as we can keep our athletic department together we will have competitive basketball and football. When you have a strong athletic department, you have strong coaching staffs.

I don't think that's the case. Everyone knows he is our hopeful replacement for Austin, but I don't think anyone has really considered them similar players. Carlos is almost a big PG in that he has a very good handle and apparently a very good passer. I'm not sure he'll be as good of a defender as Austin, at least not right away. One thing I think they'll both have in common though is streaky perimeter shooting.

I can't wait to see what our offense looks like with 3 very good ball handlers in the starting lineup. Should be fun to watch and a complete 180 to Tubby's last couple of years here.

I disagree Mad, I don't have time to look it up but I can certainly recall many a conversation where people on this board, and I'm not referencing Howieanna's insistence that you said he's BETTER than Austin, saw that Carlos played the same position, looked the same frame, was a streaky shooter, and had the ability to get to the rim. The comments we often heard was that he could slide right in and replace Austin's game. I might have even been one of them, because their alleged skill sets sound very similar. I just think it's very interesting to see McHale comment that he "is very different than" Austin.

Given our NEW knowledge on Carlos, no one knew he was a great ball handler or passer, it sounds like he is different than him. Goes to show that watching a few highlight reels, reading a couple articles and cherry picking a couple box scores give you absolutely NOTHING about a player's actual ability and potential. Same can be said about an interview with an assistant coach in the middle of summer.

Apparently when you add weight you shrink to inches?

Notice she writes 6'4" Morris. See no need to worry if McNeil plays the 3 a lot as he is only 1 inch shorter than the probable starter?

per the STrib:

At least six times a day, Minnesota basketball strength and conditioning coach Shaun Brown will hear his cell phone buzz and see, on the screen, a plate of food next to Carlos Morris' smiling face.

Since Morris, the Gophers' junior college addition to the 2014-15 class, arrived on campus in late May, the team has operated with two major goals in mind for the guard:

Find structure. And bulk up.

That's why six times a day -- the number of meals Morris is consuming, plus protein shakes -- the new guard will send along picture proof to his trainer, of sandwiches, of Papa Johns pizza at 9 p.m.

"We don't reinvent the wheel by any stretch of the imagination but our biggest thing is we just give guys routine and structure and if they're willing to abide by it, the system works," Gophers assistant Dan McHale said. "He's been a very, very pleasant surprise. You recruit kids, you get to know them, but you don't really know how they're going to be on a day-to-day basis, and he's been great."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/266057411.html

Go Gophers!!

Notice she not one to pay attention to details, facts or grammer?

I don't know about her relationship with her grammer or grandper, but yes, she is a little lax on her grammar.

Jon posted this in the Dre Hollins thread, but it's a good video so I'm going to embed it in this thread so people catch it. I'm really excited about adding Morris, can't wait to see him take the court.

He looks thin. Maybe we should discuss his weight.

bad-joke-eel-117028019425_xlarge.png

He seems to have a nice little floater in the lane, which should also be beneficial for him at this level. Always tough to take it all the way to the rack in the B1G.

Top Bottom