SEC Network leader 'alarmed' more carriers haven't signed up to carry channel

supadupafly

Reaction score
Seems like a rather stark contrast to how things have gone for BTN and its wide distribution platform. See story/and link to story on SEC network below.

"The fact that Dish Network is still the only major nationwide carrier to sign on to offer the new SEC Network that goes live Aug. 14 is “alarming” to Justin Connolly, head guru of the station.
As fans start to express angst over the possible stalemate with their television provider, the crowd at the Birmingham Kiwanis Club Tuesday asked Connolly what the network plans to do about getting them broader access to Southeastern Conference games on the new channel. Currently, only Dish Network and AT&T U-Verse have signed up to carry the network, as well as smaller providers Google Fiber and National Rural Telecommunications Cooperatives."

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/blog/2014/06/sec-network-leader-alarmed-more-carriers-havent.html

Mediacom which is a big carrier in my area of FL doesn't carry it and based on what I have been hearing, probably won't. Sucks that they also don't carry BTN...but for some reason we have the Pac 10-16 Network (probably giving that away).

I'd be happy if Comcast got it, but I'm sure I'd have to upgrade my cable subscription to get it up here in the Midwest.

Didn't BTN have the same coverage issues leading up to the start-up?

ESPN = SEC network, so why would you sign up for a second one?

The Pac12 Network feels their pain.

From what I have heard on XM radio is that with ATT's acquisition of Direct TV the first thing they want to negotiate and retain in NFL Ticket. That is job one. Then certainly ATT - Direct TV will negotiate and land SEC Network.

Didn't BTN have the same coverage issues leading up to the start-up?

Yeah I remember there was a ton of drama that first year or so with the BTN. Constant adds about missing out on games and last minute negotiations between the network and the carrier. Given that this is the SEC I am sure they are trying to charge carriers and arm and a leg for the honor of airing SEC football. There will be lots of these stories leading up to the start of the season and magically it will all get worked out in time for the start of football season.

Yeah I remember there was a ton of drama that first year or so with the BTN. Constant adds about missing out on games and last minute negotiations between the network and the carrier. Given that this is the SEC I am sure they are trying to charge carriers and arm and a leg for the honor of airing SEC football. There will be lots of these stories leading up to the start of the season and magically it will all get worked out in time for the start of football season.

True, but it didn't long before the BTN had very solid coverage throughout the US. The problem for the SECNet, is that in the meantime the Pac-12, BYU and Texas Networks have all been miserable failures. Very few people outside their home areas are demanding that their providers carry, and charge them, for the channel.

The SEC is running into the same problem.

DISH Network is trying to become the "College Football" provider. They're carrying the BTN, PAC-!2 and think they are adding the Longhorn Network for this season. Only the BTN got anywhere near what they were asking for money wise.

So maybe people will need to get DISH to get the SEC network.

They might be the only nationwide provider to carry it.

Seems like a rather stark contrast to how things have gone for BTN and its wide distribution platform. See story/and link to story on SEC network below.

"The fact that Dish Network is still the only major nationwide carrier to sign on to offer the new SEC Network that goes live Aug. 14 is “alarming” to Justin Connolly, head guru of the station.
As fans start to express angst over the possible stalemate with their television provider, the crowd at the Birmingham Kiwanis Club Tuesday asked Connolly what the network plans to do about getting them broader access to Southeastern Conference games on the new channel. Currently, only Dish Network and AT&T U-Verse have signed up to carry the network, as well as smaller providers Google Fiber and National Rural Telecommunications Cooperatives."

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...work-leader-alarmed-more-carriers-havent.html

Good link. Thanks for posting it.

A lot of SEC games are already on ESPN, ABC and CBS and I'm guessing here, but most SEC grads probably stay in the South while Big Ten grads are more likely to move outside of the Midwest. That's why I can get BTN in Seattle. So general cheapness and lack of mobility.

A lot of SEC games are already on ESPN, ABC and CBS and I'm guessing here, but most SEC grads probably stay in the South while Big Ten grads are more likely to move outside of the Midwest. That's why I can get BTN in Seattle. So general cheapness and lack of mobility.

A degree from an SEC school doesn't travel quit as well as one from a Big Ten school.

If I remember correctly, I don't think BTN was on Comcast for the first year. It wasn't until year 2. I didn't see Blake Hoffarber's shot over Indiana at the '08 BTT because of that.

There is something to be said about the alumni across the country though. SEC doesn't really seem to have it. The other big thing with the network is basketball. The BTN had a lot of basketball games that first season (and since). Other than Kentucky, nobody seems to care about basketball in the SEC. Live programming is pretty important.

It will be interesting to see how successful they will be. I have to imagine they'll eventually get on basic tier in the SEC states. Texas may be a fight. They do have the advantage of ESPN in that they perhaps could bully their way in.

Is the SEC finding out that the entire country does not care about SEC football?

I'm pretty sure that a Vanderbilt degree travels "quit" well.

Yeah, ragging on the SEC academics is a bit tiresome. There are some decent schools down there. Florida, Georgia and Texas A&M are all ranked ahead of us as well, for what that's worth, according to USNWR.

Yeah, ragging on the SEC academics is a bit tiresome. There are some decent schools down there. Florida, Georgia and Texas A&M are all ranked ahead of us as well, for what that's worth, according to USNWR.

Incorrect. Texas A&M is ranked along with the UofM, Rutgers, and VT at #69.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Both the SEC and Pac-12 Networks made announcements today that they're in 60 million homes. Both now everywhere but DirecTV.</p>— Stewart Mandel (@slmandel) <a href="https://twitter.com/slmandel/statuses/492411951591333888">July 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think it has more to do with how athletes are handled as opposed to the school as a whole. Very rarely do you hear of a recruit who couldn't get into a SEC school but could get into another BCS level school. However it isn't uncommon to hear about the opposite happening.

Most, if not all, schools bend their admission rules for top athletes, the SEC just does it to a greater extent. That is the perception, at least.

I think it has more to do with how athletes are handled as opposed to the school as a whole. Very rarely do you hear of a recruit who couldn't get into a SEC school but could get into another BCS level school. However it isn't uncommon to hear about the opposite happening.

Most, if not all, schools bend their admission rules for top athletes, the SEC just does it to a greater extent. That is the perception, at least.

Gotcha. I had a cousin that went to Vandy and just got so tired of people ragging on the SEC as a whole that he always brought this up hence my post. Overall you've got some decent schools down there but you're right they prioritize athletes more than we do. Though some schools in the B1G seem to try harder as well (MSU, OSU).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mediacom which is a big carrier in my area of FL doesn't carry it and based on what I have been hearing, probably won't. Sucks that they also don't carry BTN...but for some reason we have the Pac 10-16 Network (probably giving that away).
I have mediacom in west central MN and they carry BTN. I would guess it is a regional thing. But, that wouldn't explain the PAC 10/16 network in Florida though. :confused:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>HUGE NEWS! <a href="https://twitter.com/DIRECTV">@DIRECTV</a> to carry <a href="https://twitter.com/SECNetwork">@SECNetwork</a>!

<a href="http://t.co/4YWtBnKS7S">http://t.co/4YWtBnKS7S</a> <a href="http://t.co/E5kut9ATge">pic.twitter.com/E5kut9ATge</a></p>— Tennessee Football (@Vol_Football) <a href="https://twitter.com/Vol_Football/statuses/496412348807389185">August 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Speaking of the SECN, has anyone called Comcast to see where it will be found locally?

Top Bottom