Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Neither situation is optimal. Our strength lies in competing against fellow mid-to-bottom tier Power 5 schools, schools that we can and do beat out for recruits all the time. We never have and never will waltz into Michigan and get a commit from a recruit with offers from Michigan, MSU, and Notre Dame. It's just not gonna happen. Not to mention that he's apparently Mormon and has an offer from BYU. I've spent more time typing this post than he will cumulatively giving serious consideration to Minnesota.

Sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy. "The Gophers will never get the top recruits, so let's not even try to get the top recruits." I understand that time and resources are finite, so you have to be smart with how you allocate your time and resources - BUT, I would hate to see the U get into what sounds like a defeatist frame of mind. If there is a coaching or family connection with a 5* recruit, then go after the kid and see what happens.

I see a lot of people on this board talking about the Gopher program moving to "the next level," but in order to do that, they need to recruit better players. And, if you don't try to recruit better players, you have no chance of getting them.

Look, I'm a realist. I don't expect to wake up some day and see the Gopher roster full of 5* recruits. But, I think if they're smart about their recruiting, they can land the occasional 5* or 4* player to supplement their traditional recruiting avenues.

Sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy. "The Gophers will never get the top recruits, so let's not even try to get the top recruits." I understand that time and resources are finite, so you have to be smart with how you allocate your time and resources - BUT, I would hate to see the U get into what sounds like a defeatist frame of mind. If there is a coaching or family connection with a 5* recruit, then go after the kid and see what happens.

I see a lot of people on this board talking about the Gopher program moving to "the next level," but in order to do that, they need to recruit better players. And, if you don't try to recruit better players, you have no chance of getting them.

Look, I'm a realist. I don't expect to wake up some day and see the Gopher roster full of 5* recruits. But, I think if they're smart about their recruiting, they can land the occasional 5* or 4* player to supplement their traditional recruiting avenues.

It's not defeatism, it's realism. When was the last time we signed a Michigan HS player with offers from Michigan, MSU, and Notre Dame? I'll concede the point if you find one for me. I'm all about the Gophers stretching their comfort levels and going after higher-grade prospects. Going after players you have no chance of signing accomplishes nothing. You can find good players out there that you have a chance of signing. Go into Texas and look for good players without offers from Texas, A&M, Baylor, etc. They exist. Go into Florida and look for good players without offers from Florida, FSU, Miami, etc. They exist. The player the Gophers offered today is a great example - WR from MI with offers from Wisconsin, Boston College, Duke, Indiana, Iowa, Iowa St., Northwestern, and Wake Forest. We can and do beat those kinds of schools for recruits frequently. In this particular case, he'll probably end up signing with Wisconsin, but at least we have a fighting chance.

Paea is from Michigan and already has offers from Michigan, Michigan St., Notre Dame, Oregon, Nebraska, and BYU. Whatever time they've spent on recruiting him (no matter how little) has been a complete waste.

Certainly a long shot but hardly a waste as three of his four siblings live here.

I was aware of his offers at that time. But he was very under the radar until later in 2015. I believe the only other school that was recruiting him hard was Eastern Michigan. It wasn't until later in the summer that Michigan, Notre Dame, Penn State, and most of the Big Ten school started to show interest. IMO he had pretty much made up his mind where he was going and shut down recruiting by that time. Also his recruiting ranking spiked in the summer. That is what I based it on.

We'll have to disagree. I wouldn't call a player with offers from 3 B1G schools the winter of his junior year "under the radar." He was pretty well known.

We had 10 juniors with D1 offers by junior day last year. I don't have exact dates on when players were offered. Hmielewski was a camp offer. Chikahio-Bowman was a late offer. Kasl and Spielman were late offers.

Kasl was never officially offered. Chiakhio-Bowman was a camp offer. Spielman was offered his junior year.

Certainly a long shot but hardly a waste as three of his four siblings live here.

Great point. The coaches obviously have a legitimate reason for offering him. That connection probably has him at the least, slightly interested in the U. So why not offer him, have him in for a visit, and let him see how nice it would be to have his siblings nearby.

Go Gophers!!

Going after players you have no chance of signing accomplishes nothing.

Not that it's a huge thing, but what if this is the first time we've recruited this high school and/or coach? Maybe this guy talks it over with his coach, whatever, and we at least get a slight nod as being a decent place. Coach respects us...that might help later.

Sorry for the minor optimism - hope I didn't drop any sugar in your cheerios.

Can Alex Keith help recruit him?

Did Alex graduate and moved on? I don't see him on the roster. If he is still enrolled but done with football, will that be a recruiting violation to help recruit a prospect?

Alex was a senior who completed his eligibility during the season. I don't know if he was a December Grad, but if he's still on scholarship, I believe he's still considered a member of the team, for NCAA purposes.

Going after players you have no chance of signing accomplishes nothing.

If only you would have been there to advise Pat Chambers at Penn State, he wouldn't be bringing in a top 20 recruiting class next year.
Chambers constantly went after players he knew he didn't have a chance at, but it eventually paid off in the relationships he built.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/11/how_pat_chambers_and_penn_stat.html

The same can be applied to football.

If only you would have been there to advise Pat Chambers at Penn State, he wouldn't be bringing in a top 20 recruiting class next year.
Chambers constantly went after players he knew he didn't have a chance at, but it eventually paid off in the relationships he built.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/11/how_pat_chambers_and_penn_stat.html

The same can be applied to football.

The anology is perfect, actually. Chambers signed a very solid class (particularly by Penn St. standards), and he did it by stretching their usual patterns to go head-to-head with other Power 5 schools, but knowing his limitations and not trying to go beyond them. If you do the research (which I'm sure you already have), you'll note that not once did he have to battle against Duke, Syracuse, UNC, Kentucky, Michigan St., etc., because he knows he will lose those battles. Moreover, 3 of the 4 signees were in-state. We're not going into Michigan and getting a recruit with that offer list. We just aren't.

I would pat you on the head and say "nice try", but it really wasn't.

The anology is perfect, actually. Chambers signed a very solid class (particularly by Penn St. standards), and he did it by stretching their usual patterns to go head-to-head with other Power 5 schools, but knowing his limitations and not trying to go beyond them. If you do the research (which I'm sure you already have), you'll note that not once did he have to battle against Duke, Syracuse, UNC, Kentucky, Michigan St., etc., because he knows he will lose those battles. Moreover, 3 of the 4 signees were in-state. We're not going into Michigan and getting a recruit with that offer list. We just aren't.

I would pat you on the head and say "nice try", but it really wasn't.

He only had to beat out perennial power and the current #1 basketball team in the country Villanova for highly rated recruits in their backyard. Of course you conveniently left them out.

After 20+ years of recruiting experience, I'm sure coach us glad to get such a wake-up call about going after recruits other power 5 schools are... Thanks guy!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

We would totally have a chance to get him if Brew was still here. He was such an awesome recruiter.

Can't tell if Avatars or the real ones are talking at four in the morning.

Wild guess/hope its Andries, the OL from Marshall. You can bet Hmeilewski (sp?) is in his ear already. Maybe we'll be the benefactors of a "Hey, you can take my sister to prom if you commit to the Gophers" deal.

Virginia offered Andries today, that brings him to 9 offers.

Top Bottom