Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Alexandria QB Roste goes with the Gophers

Jaran Roste grew up in Alexandria watching the University of Minnesota football team play on Saturdays, hoping he might one day get a chance to play for his home-state team.

Many kids don't get the opportunity to live out that dream by the time high school comes around. Roste kept progressing and grew into one of the most sought-after quarterback recruits in the 2017 class for the state of Minnesota. On Thursday, Dec. 22, he decided to end a near two-year recruiting process by accepting a preferred walk-on opportunity with the Gophers.

"It was definitely a dream," Roste said. "When you're a little kid and you're watching your favorite team, you want to be one of those guys. You want to be playing in the stadium and wearing the Maroon and Gold. I'm fortunate enough to have that happen for me. I have to thank my family, my friends, coaches, thank God for the opportunity. It's just something that not a lot of people get to do, and I'm pretty excited about it."

Roste, like every Gophers football recruit, has been keeping a close eye on what has all transpired with the program over the last couple weeks.

The Gophers drew national attention after 10 players were suspended by the university in connection with sexual assault allegations stemming from a Sept. 2 incident. The football team responded to the suspensions with a two-day boycott, threatening to sit out the Holiday Bowl against Washington State on Dec. 27 before ending the boycott.

Players have emphasized that they weren't condoning sexual violence but were fighting against the process in which the players were suspended, feeling they didn't receive due process.

"They have a strong program," Roste said in how the situation affected his thinking. "They've stayed away from this kind of stuff. It's unfortunate that it happened now, but I don't think it affected my decision too much. Obviously, when something like this happens it's going to have some weight on your decision, but it didn't affect my decision as much."

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4186584-alexandria-qb-roste-goes-gophers

Go Gophers!!

Blake Cashman and Jaran Roste - These are the type of quality kids who grew up bleeding maroon & gold that you want on the team.

It would be nice to get commitments from Glover and Jake Paulson soon and restore some recruiting momentum.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

A PWO? Congrats on your commitment
I assume it's a PWO. He reminds me a bit of Brian Smith. Big target, good hands, not a blazer.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/3011069/58041c785caa5811807ce8ab' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's a PWO. Was offered in December.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go Gophers!!

i'm looking forward to seeing how the staff can leverage the nice bowl win to close out the recruiting class strong.

I assume it's a PWO. He reminds me a bit of Brian Smith. Big target, good hands, not a blazer.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/3011069/58041c785caa5811807ce8ab' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up at S.

I am also confused by your comparison. Brian Smith? Um, white receivers need to be compared to other white receivers.

I am also confused by your comparison. Brian Smith? Um, white receivers need to be compared to other white receivers.

Brian Smith is an African-American.

Oh, yeah, I meant Eric Decker.

per Dane:

East Ridge High School running back Dominik London was shocked to learn about the firing of University of Minnesota football coach Tracy Claeys.

“This is the first time I’ve heard of it,” London said in a phone conversation with the Pioneer Press. “Wow. I don’t know.”

London — a three-star recruit, according to a number of recruiting websites — committed to the Gophers in June. London said he also received interest from Wisconsin, Michigan State, Purdue and North Dakota State in the time leading up to his commitment.

“Coach Claeys and Coach (Dan) O’Brien were the biggest reasons I chose Minnesota,” London said. “It’s a big blow to me.”

London wouldn’t say whether he would reopen his recruitment, though he noted that he’ll take into consideration who the next coach of the program is. Recruits can sign commitments on Feb. 1.

“If I don’t like the head coach, then I don’t really want to be on the team,” he said. “I’ll have to talk to my parents about this entire situation.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/03/east-metro-recruit-on-tracy-claeys-firing-its-a-big-blow-to-me/

Go Gophers!!

Dean Johnson said they asked Coyle the + and - of keeping Claeys.

Under minuses he said Coyle state after checking, over 10 recruiting services had MN at 14 out of 14 in the Big Ten.

Dean Johnson said they asked Coyle the + and - of keeping Claeys.

Under minuses he said Coyle state after checking, over 10 recruiting services had MN at 14 out of 14 in the Big Ten.

And yet it is about to get worse.

Per twitter, WR Hawes is not decommitting , but reopened recruitment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

per Greder:

Two verbal commitments to the Gophers football team have decided to reopen their recruiting processes, but insist they’re not de-commiting from the University of Minnesota in the wake of the suspension of 10 players in mid-December and the firing of head coach Tracy Claeys on Tuesday.

Javan Hawes, a three-star-ranked receiver/athlete recruit from Tyrone, Ga., and Jakyle Holmes, a three-star running back/athlete from Ponchatoula, La., announced their decisions on Twitter on Wednesday night.

Hawes wrote: “This is NOT a decommitment from the University of Minnesota, however after talking with my parents and coaches I have to decided [sic] to reopen my recruiting for the sake of my future. #GoGophers”

Hawes committed to Minnesota in July and made an official visit to Minneapolis on Dec. 10, according to 247sports.com.

Holmes, who committed to the U on Dec. 10, wrote: “Because of the recent developments at Minnesota, I am reopening my recruiting and plan to visit others schools.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/04/two-gophers-oral-commitments-reopen-their-recruiting/

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

per Joe:

Two Gophers football recruits who’d given Minnesota a verbal commitment reopened their recruiting Wednesday, one day after coach Tracy Claeys and most of his staff were fired.

But the Gophers’ highest-ranked recruit in this class — Marshall offensive lineman Blaise Andries — announced he was sticking with Minnesota.

Javan Hawes, a wide receiver from Tyrone, Ga., and Jakyle Holmes, a running back from Ponchatoula, La., announced on Twitter that they were reopening their recruiting.

http://www.startribune.com/two-goph...-blaise-andries-is-sticking-with-u/409725295/

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

per Dane:

P.J. Fleck has proven himself as a tactician — and salesman — through his rapid rise up the coaching ranks. Listen to the new Minnesota head football coach talk for even 10 seconds, and that becomes increasingly clear.

That, among other things, helped the 36-year-old Fleck lead a massive turnaround at Western Michigan. His bravado is infectious to the point that recruits would be willing to run through a brick wall for Fleck — or even blindly follow him to the Twin Cities.

“I committed to P.J. Fleck,” said Tyrone Chambers, a three-star defensive tackle who has reopened his recruitment. “I’m willing to follow P.J. Fleck wherever he goes.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/0...an-recruits-to-follow-p-j-fleck-to-minnesota/

Go Gophers!!

Do "dark period" rules not apply to coaching changes? In reading quotes in the above article and others from our and WMU commits that they are being contacted in the wake of the changes...I totally get that recruiting has some very shady sides, but this seems rather obvious violations...right?

Do "dark period" rules not apply to coaching changes? In reading quotes in the above article and others from our and WMU commits that they are being contacted in the wake of the changes...I totally get that recruiting has some very shady sides, but this seems rather obvious violations...right?

I don't know rules but it isn't truly a dark period. Always ways to recruit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If my memory serves where there is a coaching change, recruit contact rules may change...but I could be totally wrong too.

Top Bottom