Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

So... Abojei passed the test... but we're not getting him? What just happened here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But why? Aren't gray shirts typically for oversigned classes? We have scholarships available.

They can be for oversigned classes, or to give an extra year of development to prospects that need it. And, to be clear, I'm not stating that Van Dyne is grayshirting - just my own speculation that could explain why he's currently not registered for fall courses.

Passing NCAA standards and getting into the U are 2 different things

Passing NCAA standards is EXTREMELY easy for even mediocre students. If you know you're going to get a scholarship to a division one school, you should be taking the easiest possible classes and studying your butt off for the ACT until you pass it. It should be extremely easy. If a student can barely make NCAA standards, he would not be successful at the U.

Here are the NCAA standards: http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/play-division-i-sports

Passing NCAA standards is EXTREMELY easy for even mediocre students. If you know you're going to get a scholarship to a division one school, you should be taking the easiest possible classes and studying your butt off for the ACT until you pass it. It should be extremely easy. If a student can barely make NCAA standards, he would not be successful at the U.

Here are the NCAA standards: http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/play-division-i-sports

Well yeah that's exactly my point. Getting by the NCAA is a pretty easy task. Passing admissions at school X then can be a different story

Well yeah that's exactly my point. Getting by the NCAA is a pretty easy task. Passing admissions at school X then can be a different story

I feel like typically getting past the NCAA is the bigger hurdle. We take late qualifiers all the time and with the exception of Diedhou on the basketball side, I can't really think of any recent NCAA qualifiers that didn't end up getting in. Hell, Jeff Jones didn't meet the bare minimum NCAA standards and he still got into the U.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I feel like typically getting past the NCAA is the bigger hurdle. We take late qualifiers all the time and with the exception of Diedhou on the basketball side, I can't really think of any recent NCAA qualifiers that didn't end up getting in. <b>Hell, Jeff Jones didn't meet the bare minimum NCAA standards and he still got into the U.</b>

And I think we all saw why he was the exception and not the rule. At the time I liked that the U was giving him a break/chance - but looking back I don't think they did JJ any favors.

Speaking of academics, word on the street is Beck still isn't on campus. Kind of a concern?

He is listed on the Gophers Roster. Could it be that he is just reporting late? Are all the new signees required to to be on campus at a certain date or sign up for summer school?

Still not s good sign

However he is willing to work at it. Here at the U it will be a new chapter, fresh start, and hopefully he'll do better. Academics can be hard for some people to grasp for a number of reasons.

per Sid:

• Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck was asked if he has made any decisions on the two scholarships he still has open for the Class of 2017: “I love that question. I still haven’t decided what I want to do with those yet. I can still push those to 2018. We already have seven commitments for 2018, which I think is the second-most in the country. For 2017 we still have two left, but we’re still waiting on a few kids to make it academically and be allowed into the University of Minnesota. If we have that happen we’ll fill one or two of them this year. If not we’ll push them back to the following year.”

http://www.startribune.com/paul-molitor-tells-twins-all-stars-to-enjoy-the-experience/433351423/

Go Gophers!!

Franklin hiring Limegrover is a big deal for PSU.[/QUOTE]

Can you explain this part of your post?

Or it could be he needs a class to finish his required core courses for entrance to the U.
This is the version that I have heard, everything is fine but he needs one course. Stuff happens.

Franklin hiring Limegrover is a big deal for PSU.

Can you explain this part of your post?[/QUOTE]

The PSU job was tailor made for Limegrover. He is a good Offensive Line Coach. But, in Minnesota he had to handle both the Offensive Coordinator and the Offensive Line roles that diminished his effectiveness. At PSU, he is getting top echelon athletes to mold. I think his hiring and other factors made a big difference last year when they won the B1G.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom