Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Are Gary's tweets scripted or something?

Hard to be disappointed with the class we have. The one hallmark of the previous regime was going after guys that did not have a lot of big time offers, the fact that Fleck beat out other p5 teams for a few guys is impressive, especially more impressive when some had offers from Iowa.

Sent from my SM

Sorry, but this argument just doesn't fly. Many of this year's recruits were WMU recruits that only had MAC offers. Or recent commits with UNI, South Dakota or no offers. I think this class will be fine, but leave the kool aid and the Fleck colored glasses at home.

Sorry, but this argument just doesn't fly. Many of this year's recruits were WMU recruits that only had MAC offers. Or recent commits with UNI, South Dakota or no offers. I think this class will be fine, but leave the kool aid and the Fleck colored glasses at home.

He didn't say all of them dude, he said a few...

One can never prove the negative, but I think the class is better than it would have been had Claeys finished out the recruiting season. Just my opinion and certainly not getting into a typing match with anyone. Just seems that we got a lot of late visits from guys who were either committed elsewhere or not intent on visiting. Of course, we lost Layne and maybe Creamer, but it looks like the guys replacing them are comparable prospects. Interesting to see how Fleck does with a whole cycle.

Let's see if the db and overall defense is as good as past years.

Only 3 of the Western Michigan flips: Bell, Guthrie, and Hickcox didn't have other power 5 offers.

This year is all about filling in bodies where needed.

Fleck filled nine position from kids already committed to him at WMU. Great for them. Who in their right mind not jump at a chance to play D1 P5 conference football?

Fleck "encourage" a few players like Brett Kitrell to look elsewhere.

Two who decommit on their own volition hurt: DT Joshua Croslen (.8518), and OLB Bryson Jackson (.8462).

Some of the replacements who committed may look like Plan B guys. But, some of those guys may end up great players. Some may end up in the NFL.

The disparity between the three ranking sites shows to a certain point that the ratings blow a lot of smoke. It is just a predictor at the beginning. How many under rated Gophers in the last five years end up in the NFL?

There is no mistake a four or five star (except Hayo Carpenter) can make an impact on a team. But, it is not guaranteed.

Don't really care how we win. I'm guessing, we'll score more points than we have been accustomed to.

If you go back to the early golden age we're pulling out games 6 to nothing.... I'll go with that.

Given the time frame, the fact that this class is in the same ballpark as our previous 3-4 (even higher according to some) is highly impressive. This gives me hope that next year will be a VERY good class.

I agree, though, that most of the debate in this range is purely agenda driven. Whether you are ranked 30th or 55th probably doesn't mean a whole lot across a spectrum of sites. To call recruiting an inexact science is still an insult to science. It's fairly easy to recognize the top 15 or so classes, but I would wager that classes ranked between about 20-50 pretty much excel on luck, coaching, and development.

Given the time frame, the fact that this class is in the same ballpark as our previous 3-4 (even higher according to some) is highly impressive. This gives me hope that next year will be a VERY good class.

I agree, though, that most of the debate in this range is purely agenda driven. Whether you are ranked 30th or 55th probably doesn't mean a whole lot across a spectrum of sites. To call recruiting an inexact science is still an insult to science. It's fairly easy to recognize the top 15 or so classes, but I would wager that classes ranked between about 20-50 pretty much excel on luck, coaching, and development.

Yup, and the tippy top programs in say the top 2 to 5.... on another planet talent wise.

Don't really care how we win. I'm guessing, we'll score more points than we have been accustomed to.

I remember mason teams that had wonderful running games and could not get a yard for first down to win a he game against Wisconsin. Give me stout d any day.

I remember mason teams that had wonderful running games and could not get a yard for first down to win a he game against Wisconsin. Give me stout d any day.

Mason still beat Wisconsin 2 more times than our 'stout d' did.

+1000

Yes and no. You can get a few more outliers in that range. Wisconsin is one. There's still a strong correlation between recruiting class rank and success, even in that range. If you're consistently in the 20-30 range, you still have a better chance of winning than when you're consistently in the 40-50 range.

Yes and no. You can get a few more outliers in that range. Wisconsin is one. There's still a strong correlation between recruiting class rank and success, even in that range. If you're consistently in the 20-30 range, you still have a better chance of winning than when you're consistently in the 40-50 range.

But that only really would mean much for a school constantly say in the 20-30 range over a period of time.... even then I'm not sure that is so much recruiting as being there consistency reflects stability, coaching talent....

It matters, but big trends for say the entire college football landscape is one thing.... how it impacts any given single team might not be statistically all that significant.

Anyone heard anything from the Mafe camp on which way he's leaning? I know his dad went to Rutgers but I haven't been able to find anything public other than that.

But that only really would mean much for a school constantly say in the 20-30 range over a period of time.... even then I'm not sure that is so much recruiting as being there consistency reflects stability, coaching talent....

It matters, but big trends for say the entire college football landscape is one thing.... how it impacts any given single team might not be statistically all that significant.

Yes, it's definitely a correlation over time and teams still have good and bad years during that time. I posted this before but i'll post it again. Only went back to 2011 because I was comparing the Kill/Claeys era in my original post. But over that time the B1G teams that have finished in the top half of recruiting, averaged a finish in the top half of the B1G standings. I didn't include Rutgers and Maryland since they were only in the conference half of this time.

Average B1G Recruiting Rank Finish 2011-2016: (Rivals)

Ohio St 1.00
Michigan 3.50
Nebraska 3.67
Michigan St. 3.83
Penn St. 4.33
Wisconsin 6.67
Iowa 7.33
Illinois 8.83
Indiana 9.33
Northwestern 9.50
Minnesota 9.83
Purdue 10.17

Average Finish B1G Standings 2011-2016

Ohio St 2.83
Michigan St. 3.83
Wisconsin 4.00
Michigan 5.00
Nebraska 5.17
Penn St. 5.17
Iowa 5.50
Northwestern 7.50
Minnesota 7.83
Indiana 10.00
Illinois 10.17
Purdue 10.50

Anyone heard anything from the Mafe camp on which way he's leaning? I know his dad went to Rutgers but I haven't been able to find anything public other than that.

If Creamer flips then he'll be a part of this class but if not then he won't have a committable P5 offer.

I am wondering if Mafe would be a greyshirt possibility if Creamer sticks to his commitment

Yeah I wasn't going to judge PJ on this class at all considering the timeframe ... still giving him a thumbs up for it.... nice surprise.

Couldn't agree more. A true gauge for his recruiting ability will be next year's class. I'm also anxious to see how the players he brings in develop. Still an impressive feat regarding everything he has accomplished in about a month's time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting how people from Rutgers and Iowa are all over twitter pushing for Trey Creamer to commit but nothing from the Gophers.

Yeah I never did understand that, I mean I get not everyone's opinion is the same but you'd think to a certain point talent is talent. 30 to 52 is a hell of a difference. However since 52 and 47 are closer to each other I'm thinking we're closer to that than 30.

I would argue that with the variability and guesswork at the root of these rankings that there really isn't much of a difference between any of the teams ranked 30-50. Some will outperform, some will underperform, fit, coaching, etc. will influence a ton too - as does class size in this case. It is why once you get past the first 20 teams or so I just don't care or pay attention to team rankings.

I won't say anything more than this on this thread, if you want to respond, just copy and paste your response to the appeals thread.

But no, no they cannot kick people off of teams for reasons that would violate the Constitution.

You're right, they could lie and say they are kicking them off for another reason, but then you see you are making my point. They cannot kick someone off for whatever reason they want.

Tactically, if one of the accused is exonerated by the appeals process, it would be incredibly dumb for the school/team/department to kick the player off the team for a violation of team rules. You open yourself up to an incredible amount of liability if you fire someone/kick someone out of school/remove a scholarship for a reason that would violate the Constitution and you had the audacity to try to circumvent that core American principle.

It's almost like a whistleblower in a company, that company better not fire that person after they've come forward.

This has nothing to do with the appeal. It has to do with caps. Coaches can kick them off for getting arrested, for eating too much spaghetti at the training table, for running too slowly, for being gay....whatever they want. And they can kick them off for speaking in a way that doesn't represent the university well....despite free speech being protected by the constitution...so I guess they can get booted for a reason that would violate the constitution. The point is, if coaches over sign, they can get to their numbers if they need to. Again, this thread has nothing to do with the appeal and I don't get why you think it does.

This has nothing to do with the appeal. It has to do with caps. Coaches can kick them off for getting arrested, for eating too much spaghetti at the training table, for running too slowly, for being gay....whatever they want. And they can kick them off for speaking in a way that doesn't represent the university well....despite free speech being protected by the constitution...so I guess they can get booted for a reason that would violate the constitution. The point is, if coaches over sign, they can get to their numbers if they need to. Again, this thread has nothing to do with the appeal and I don't get why you think it does.

Not true. In the case of free speech a player can say whatever they want. In every case there are consequences to what you say. That may mean getting kicked off the team. Free speech happened. Kicked off the team happened. No constitutional violation happened.

Maverick, Yes you are right...you argued it better than I.

Going to guess they're done with this class unless Mafe commits.

Top Bottom