Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

On Ryan Burns' podcast (released Thursday or Friday) he stated the Creamer lied to the Gophers about being on a visit to Iowa, the Gophers checked around a second time found out he was on a visit...then Creamer admitted he was on a visit. Burns described the relationship between Creamer and the Gophers as "awkward" and was pretty confident he wouldn't end up a Gopher (I got the sense that maybe the offer was pulled, but don't know for sure). I also found it interesting that non of the 3 CB visits this past weekend had a Gopher offer before arriving on campus. I think that speaks a bit to where the staff is with recruiting CB's in this cycle.

For what it's worth, Burns also expect Reyondous Estes to end up at CB.

agree

It's not that shocking. We had a good idea Creamer was gone a while ago and Marsette was only "ours" for like 24 hours. I like Justus Harris just as much as Creamer, and better than the tooth pick Marsette. Marsette strikes me as more of a wr than a cb also.

Agreed, looked good offensively but very poor tackling. Certainly not a guy that likes to hit people. I did like him as a wide receiver though.

That's why all this talk of 8-9 wins around here is nuts, unless we get some of the suspended players back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8-9? I'd be disappointed if we don't get 10.

Is Marsette still committed to the Gophers?

Oregon Gopher, Creamer is not a "Big loss". I'm willing to wager that Justus Harris will be a better player. Just cause Sawvel liked him you think he's an NFL prospect. Guess what, he isn't going to play under Sawvel.

Well, the boat will not wait for him if he dilly-dallies too much.

If he is listening too much to his buddy Creamer, he may miss all the other boats.

Times a ticking.

Oregon: While I agree we are thin at DB, it isn't a difficult position to fill as there are many guys under 6'0 who can't catch a ball and are under 200# versus linemen who have to be huge. It's like recruiting guards in basketball...way easier than finding 6'10 centers as there are so many more out there. Holland played CB in high school Register played S in the Holiday Bowl, add S: McGee, Ayinde, Huff and recruits Handy-Holly and Beck and we are solid at safety. At CB we have Thomas, Creighton, Durr (who tweeted surgery went well), Estes and Harris...add Holland to the mix and we are 3 deep at the position. There are 11 guys on defense and we have a pretty good group of seniors. Kill even won games with lots of non-contributors. I don't see many non-contributors on the scholarship grid which means we have depth (if there is dead weight anywhere it's at WR and how easy to make those fast, high-jumping guys who can't catch balls into CBs/S). Fleck solved so many future problems with this class (i.e. no one to play DT next year, getting some competition at QB), I can only salute him. In addition I'd say we are pretty strong on the line (i.e. Richardson) and at LB, (i.e. Coughlin with a year under his belt, Celestin and Poock) which enables us to be weaker at DB without it being as big a deal. My point? Don't worry...

In regards to Pitino fan saying it'll be tough to get 8-9 wins if we don't get this suspended players back...remember 4 of them didn't play a snap, the two running backs are not needed..in regards to the players who did play, we went 2-1 without Shenault, 4-1 in games Hardin didn't play, 6-2 in games Buford didn't play and 3-0 in games without Winfield. So this total panic...that a bunch of mostly freshmen or non-contributors won't be back, IMO is silly. Fleck has done a great job with this class and Claeys is handing over a pretty solid team where we won't be relying on freshmen in spots outside of DB. The concern I have is far more at QB than DB...we didn't lose an incredible QB, (but Leidner did just get invited to the combine?!) but only Rhoda has played a snap...at a minimum, we have 5 guys from whom to pick: PWO Roste, former PWO Rhoda, JUCO McClaurin, Jr. Croft and true freshman Morgan. That's where I would be worried just because there are so many unknowns.

In regards to Pitino fan saying it'll be tough to get 8-9 wins if we don't get this suspended players back...remember 4 of them didn't play a snap, the two running backs are not needed..in regards to the players who did play, we went 2-1 without Shenault, 4-1 in games Hardin didn't play, 6-2 in games Buford didn't play and 3-0 in games without Winfield. So this total panic...that a bunch of mostly freshmen or non-contributors won't be back, IMO is silly. Fleck has done a great job with this class and Claeys is handing over a pretty solid team where we won't be relying on freshmen in spots outside of DB. The concern I have is far more at QB than DB...we didn't lose an incredible QB, (but Leidner did just get invited to the combine?!) but only Rhoda has played a snap...at a minimum, we have 5 guys from whom to pick: PWO Roste, former PWO Rhoda, JUCO McClaurin, Jr. Croft and true freshman Morgan. That's where I would be worried just because there are so many unknowns.

I believe we will be fine at quarterback as well. Confident these guys can coach offense much better than we have witnessed the last few years.

They need to walk away from Marsette and get Lubin and Mafe today. Marsette is acting to much like Creamer, all me me me look at me. Per 247 we haven't offered Lubin a scholarship.

The coaches will probably give Marsette a deadline of when he has to commit today.

I was mainly talking about the DBs. I get what you're saying, but they would be expected to contribute in a big way this coming season. They're also losing two more starters in the secondary who will probably be on NFL rosters next fall. If we can get Winfield and Shenault back, at a minimum, I'll feel much better about it.

Its funny how everyone was so happy to have marsette and now hes apparently worthless. I bet if he stays committed, the narrative will change again.

The coaches will probably give Marsette a deadline of when he has to commit today.

With nsd being tomorrow, that would be a great idea.
I admit to being a Fleck skeptic, but have been impressed with the class he's pulled together. I do worry about losing the dback recruits however under the old regime. I do think Sawvel's talent evaluation at that position meant something. After years of watching poor pass defense by the Gophers, the last five years have been a nice change.

Agree totally

I just re-read 2 threads and neither had a post saying his is worthless, however do you really want players that don't want to be here. He has erased everything pertaining to his visit here including the pictures that he had over the weekend.

Its funny how everyone was so happy to have marsette and now hes apparently worthless. I bet if he stays committed, the narrative will change again.

I never rag on these kids. Stressful times surrounding a big decision and a lot of people in their ears. Biggest decision I had to make at that age was Schmidt or Grain Belt. Hope we land him.

I just re-read 2 threads and neither had a post saying his is worthless, however do you really want players that don't want to be here. He has erased everything pertaining to his visit here including the pictures that he had over the weekend.

The only head football coach that I got to know pretty close was Dennis Franchione when he was at New Mexico. He had a firm rule, take your time, take your visits, but once you commit, that's it. If after you committed you took another visit or opened up the recruiting process then he pulled the offer and gave the slot to someone else. He had to do that in order to line up his recruiting class. I'm pretty sure Fleck, and a lot of coaches, follow that same rule. Committing and then taking another visit (and trying to hide that trip by lying about it) is a pretty solid reason for pulling an offer.

These are eighteen and nineteen year-olds who for the first time will be away from home. Did you remember when you were that young and just about to embark for college?

These kids suddenly are the center of attention by recruiters. Some know how to handle it maturely and make up their minds and stick with their choices. Others not so much. Some want free trips. They either get easily influenced, or are not sure what they want.

You get a good recruiter applying good psychology and salesmanship (like PJF) and they can be flipped easily. It goes both ways for the Gophers.

I just hope that Marsette sticks to his commitment, but if not next man up. If not look to see who gets dropped off somebody's list or is available

Besides, we were able to get players like David Cobb & Cedric Thompson (2011), DeVondre Campbell & Donovahn Jones (2013), DeMarcus Williams (2016) after NSD. I think PJF will be an excellent shark to go after these kids.

These are eighteen and nineteen year-olds who for the first time will be away from home. Did you remember when you were that young and just about to embark for college?

These kids suddenly are the center of attention by recruiters. Some know how to handle it maturely and make up their minds and stick with their choices. Others not so much. They either get easily influenced, or are not sure what they want.

You get a good recruiter applying good psychology and salesmanship (like PJF) and they can be flipped easily. It goes both ways for the Gophers.

I just hope that Marsette sticks to his commitment, but if not next man up. If not look to see who gets dropped off somebody's list or is available

Besides, we were able to get players like David Cobb & Cedric Thompson (2011), DeVondre Campbell & Donovahn Jones (2013), DeMarcus Williams (2016) after NSD. I think PJF will be an excellent shark to go after these prey.

I have no problem with them being choosy, going on all of their visits and all of that stuff. This is the only time in the process that you will ever have complete control. However, I don't think it's an excuse to lie. I'm sure the lying goes both ways.

The lying part is a big turn off. It's gamesmanship with recruiters. Being played does not mean you have to be secretive.

Besides, we were able to get players like David Cobb & Cedric Thompson (2011), DeVondre Campbell & Donovahn Jones (2013), DeMarcus Williams (2016) after NSD. I think PJF will be an excellent shark to go after these kids.

Campbell and Jones were on NSD. I don't know why DeMarcus Williams is listed, he hasn't even seen the field.

DeMarcus was Jay Johnson's QB recruit. He got himself in with the cabal and probably will not be back. Campbell and Jones were the day after NSD.

Top Bottom