Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

You've said variations of this before, and I don't understand this at all. I'm not an attorney, so perhaps you can help me figure it out.

My wife works for a large corporation. If she snagged an interview with a local news station, and promptly declared on camera that the CEO of this organization is a talentless hack, and the rest of the upper management are worthless flunkies, she would certainly be within her constitutional rights to do so. Nobody is hauling her away in handcuffs and leg irons. She won't spend a single second behind bars. She is on constitutionally safe grounds.

But she also wouldn't have a job anymore.

It's certainly my impression that team rules (see that as corporate rules) are not completely symmetrical with constitutional rules.

This has been my point all along. There is no guarantee of freedom of speech in what could be construed a contract situation. I don't know if that applies to football players on scholarships and I don't know if it applies to the current situation before the EOAA, but we surrender rights daily and one can argue that when a student enrolls at a university, they surrender some rights under the Student Code of Conduct. I know there is no unqualified right to free speech in public elementary and secondary education and there are tomes of case law backing up that perspective, most notably Tinker v. Des Moines.

The corporation is a private entity. The football team at a public university isn't.

But I would argue that there is still a contract arrangement as spelled out in the scholarship agreement and the Student Code of Conduct.

He's so gone. We just got a bunch of DBs to commit. He sees the writing on the wall. On a diff note, is it concerning at all to anyone that 247 has our class at #52 national and #12 big ten? This is after all the commits yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People only worried about that with Claeys. No one expects PJF to recruit or win games for 3-years.

Trey Creamer just announced that he will make his commitment at 6 pm.

Shocking that Creamer would make an event of his decision. Just shocking.

You've said variations of this before, and I don't understand this at all. I'm not an attorney, so perhaps you can help me figure it out.

My wife works for a large corporation. If she snagged an interview with a local news station, and promptly declared on camera that the CEO of this organization is a talentless hack, and the rest of the upper management are worthless flunkies, she would certainly be within her constitutional rights to do so. Nobody is hauling her away in handcuffs and leg irons. She won't spend a single second behind bars. She is on constitutionally safe grounds.

But she also wouldn't have a job anymore.

It's certainly my impression that team rules (see that as corporate rules) are not completely symmetrical with constitutional rules.

I'm not sure how to answer most of this, but I do know that if your wife's corp. needs marketing help she should talk to Ruppert's wife.

Hey Spoofin, Washington Post had an article this morning on Rival's top 100 in 2007 and where they are now. A cautionary tale for young Creamer.

Creamer and Armstrong both seem to be cut from the same cloth, to be honest. We'll be just fine without them.

Creamer and Armstrong both seem to be cut from the same cloth, to be honest. We'll be just fine without them.

Sounds like we are preemptively "cooling".

I don't remember Armstrong making a long twitter post saying he was done visiting other schools and then visit 2 more schools.

He's so gone. We just got a bunch of DBs to commit. He sees the writing on the wall. On a diff note, is it concerning at all to anyone that 247 has our class at #52 national and #12 big ten? This is after all the commits yesterday.

What are you concerned about? 247 rating the athletes we have recruited, or the fact that we recruited the athletes that garnered that ranking? Not exactly the top 25 class some on this board were telling us we should be getting ready to be surprised by, but only five spots below Claeys' one and only class.

Give Boye Mafe Creamer's spot already. We'd want team players, not someone who wants to grab the spotlight.

There is quite a disparity in the GOphers team rankings:

247 Sports 52
Rivals 47
Scout 30

No, they can't.

Your reason for kicking someone off a team cannot violate the Constitution.

There you go again, did you get your law degree out of a box of Cracker Jacks?

I don't want to side track the discussion, participation in D1 football is not a right. You agree to various terms when you decide to participate as a part of the team and the team can terminate your participation at anytime they want.

Many comments here all over the board. I will say that I believe Fleck has done an excellent job here in his short amount of time for recruiting an he should be commended for that. Were coming to a close for his first class and putting the finishing touches on it. Good luck coach in finishing this up.

There you go again, did you get your law degree out of a box of Cracker Jacks?

I don't want to side track the discussion, participation in D1 football is not a right. You agree to various terms when you decide to participate as a part of the team and the team can terminate your participation at anytime they want.

Did you read the second line?

Bob's statement is correct. The reason matters.

For the amount of time this staff had to put this group together I'm very happy with it. When you have time to add in 5-6 4-star players that rating will climb a lot, if you take the 2 5-star and the 4-star players away from Iowa they would have a very bad class.

For the amount of time this staff had to put this group together I'm very happy with it. When you have time to add in 5-6 4-star players that rating will climb a lot, if you take the 2 5-star and the 4-star players away from Iowa they would have a very bad class.

Yeah I wasn't going to judge PJ on this class at all considering the timeframe ... still giving him a thumbs up for it.... nice surprise.

Many comments here all over the board. I will say that I believe Fleck has done an excellent job here in his short amount of time for recruiting an he should be commended for that. Were coming to a close for his first class and putting the finishing touches on it. Good luck coach in finishing this up.

One can never prove the negative, but I think the class is better than it would have been had Claeys finished out the recruiting season. Just my opinion and certainly not getting into a typing match with anyone. Just seems that we got a lot of late visits from guys who were either committed elsewhere or not intent on visiting. Of course, we lost Layne and maybe Creamer, but it looks like the guys replacing them are comparable prospects. Interesting to see how Fleck does with a whole cycle.

There is quite a disparity in the GOphers team rankings:

247 Sports 52
Rivals 47
Scout 30

Yeah I never did understand that, I mean I get not everyone's opinion is the same but you'd think to a certain point talent is talent. 30 to 52 is a hell of a difference. However since 52 and 47 are closer to each other I'm thinking we're closer to that than 30.

Yeah I never did understand that, I mean I get not everyone's opinion is the same but you'd think to a certain point talent is talent. 30 to 52 is a hell of a difference. However since 52 and 47 are closer to each other I'm thinking we're closer to that than 30.

I think between 30 and 52 recruiting wise it is a very very muddy / uncertain place.

Give Boye Mafe Creamer's spot already. We'd want team players, not someone who wants to grab the spotlight.

And I second that. I don't think I even want Creamer any more and most certainly if it's a either or situation give it to the MN kid.

One can never prove the negative, but I think the class is better than it would have been had Claeys finished out the recruiting season. Just my opinion and certainly not getting into a typing match with anyone. Just seems that we got a lot of late visits from guys who were either committed elsewhere or not intent on visiting. Of course, we lost Layne and maybe Creamer, but it looks like the guys replacing them are comparable prospects. Interesting to see how Fleck does with a whole cycle.

I completely agree with this. Fleck recruited a lot for real and perceived need. It's got to be really tough having only 3 weekends to put together a class under any circumstances. Throw in not a ton of solid commitments and the pre-existing recruits having been somewhat neglected for a week and things could go south in a hurry. Plus you're not sure if some crucial players will be available to you the following year. No matter what you think of Fleck, that's not an admirable task in the least. We got what we needed and got solid recruits under those circumstances. It would be real tough to find any fault with how it has gone.

What are you concerned about? 247 rating the athletes we have recruited, or the fact that we recruited the athletes that garnered that ranking? Not exactly the top 25 class some on this board were telling us we should be getting ready to be surprised by, but only five spots below Claeys' one and only class.

Don't get me wrong, looks like we got talented guys at position of big need, DT and DB especially. Couple WRs that might break through, or might be good DBs. We'll be ok.

The annoying thing about the rankings to me is they penalize teams for lower ranked players. You'd score higher with less guys if they are all 3's or above. But if you add 2's the overall scores diminish. We have a very good class. The guys we purged, we replaced with better guys. Maybe not in stars on a couple but we have some guys lower rated with several offers from schools you've heard of....yet they are graded as 2's.

All the commits yesterday, while filling needs, were not as "valuable" from a class score perspective as prior commits and the recruits they replaced (Craemer, etc). I'm not concerned though- hopefully our new staff can coach them up as well as the old staff. We'll see in 2 years or so (earlier for the DBs as we may need them this year).

All the commits yesterday, while filling needs, were not as "valuable" from a class score perspective as prior commits and the recruits they replaced (Craemer, etc). I'm not concerned though- hopefully our new staff can coach them up as well as the old staff. We'll see in 2 years or so (earlier for the DBs as we may need them this year).

yup, agreed

Hard to be disappointed with the class we have. The one hallmark of the previous regime was going after guys that did not have a lot of big time offers, the fact that Fleck beat out other p5 teams for a few guys is impressive, especially more impressive when some had offers from Iowa.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom