Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Yes the early enrollees count towards the 2017 recruits.

My top remaining targets for last scholarships are Jafar Armstrong, Ihmir Marsette, Samuel Barnes, Boye Mafe, Royal Silver and Austin Schirck. I don't think Creamer lands here, so that opens up an extra spot.

Silver is definitely fast enough to play End, but he's a big body at 290 lbs right now. Could rotate based on the scheme, I guess. I find Schirck intriguing since Paup thinks he can make the leap to the B1G.

The one we haven't really discussed much in this thread is Marsette: http://247sports.com/player/ihmir-marsette-45572798

Was a Rutgers commit until earlier this week, and is receiving a lot of interest from Iowa as well.

High praise for sure

Marsette is rail thin, he's like 6'2" 155. Looks like he has nice ball skill, has some good tape as a wr. I think Justus Harris deserves more talk on here, if he was 3 inches taller he'd have an even better offer list, but he looks very physical for his size, and is well built for a 5'9" guy.

Early enrollees can count towards either the 2016 or 2017 class.

Yep, but I believe in this specific instance, they are counting towards the 2017 class. I'd wager if they want to sign more than 28, they would apply one of them to the 2016 class, but if not then there isn't any reason to. I do have a question about that policy though. If an early enrollee is assigned to the previous year's class, does that burn a year of their eligibility?

Yep, but I believe in this specific instance, they are counting towards the 2017 class. I'd wager if they want to sign more than 28, they would apply one of them to the 2016 class, but if not then there isn't any reason to. I do have a question about that policy though. If an early enrollee is assigned to the previous year's class, does that burn a year of their eligibility?

No, it's just an opportunity to have some wiggle room as the roster takes shape. If you have several guys who graduated and left eligibility on the table, or guys who left early for the draft, or whatever the case, and you had a smaller class the previous year, you can count a few back to stay under the annual cap of 25 and still have enough bodies to field a competitive roster size.

No, it's just an opportunity to have some wiggle room as the roster takes shape. If you have several guys who graduated and left eligibility on the table, or guys who left early for the draft, or whatever the case, and you had a smaller class the previous year, you can count a few back to stay under the annual cap of 25 and still have enough bodies to field a competitive roster size.

What do you mean by this?

What do you mean by this?

If I understand it correctly - and I'm not 100% positive I do, so anyone who knows the bylaws better, get in here - you can only have 25 guys apply to each year, whether they are recruited from the current year, or applied from a future year.

So, say we sign 22 guys in 2016. We could recruit up to 28 in 2017, and have three of them apply to the 2016 class. But if we signed 25 guys in 2016 that would not be the case.

If I understand it correctly - and I'm not 100% positive I do, so anyone who knows the bylaws better, get in here - you can only have 25 guys apply to each year, whether they are recruited from the current year, or applied from a future year.

So, say we sign 22 guys in 2016. We could recruit up to 28 in 2017, and have three of them apply to the 2016 class. But if we signed 25 guys in 2016 that would not be the case.

Correct.

Who is the equivalent to Billy Glascock in the Fleck regime?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure you can't count a fall enrollee to the previous class, even if there were still openings. That would mean if we had zero players that enrolled early, we then wouldn't be able to go past 25 this cycle (unless there was some gray shirting going on). Since there are 3 enrolling early and the assumptions are they are able to apply to 2016 yr, we still have 25 for 2017 for 28 Total.

Also any walk on that's been on campus for less than 2 academic years and get a scholarship they have to count to the annual 25. I believe they can be counted for the current year or future year depending on openings.

Does anyone know an update on Noah Carlson? I know it was mentioned he was going to pursue track instead of football, but I'm just curious.

Marsette is rail thin, he's like 6'2" 155. Looks like he has nice ball skill, has some good tape as a wr. I think Justus Harris deserves more talk on here, if he was 3 inches taller he'd have an even better offer list, but he looks very physical for his size, and is well built for a 5'9" guy.

I bet Fleck has an affinity for little guys who have heart and can play.

What happens if one of the signed from 2016 is no longer a student during the 2017 recruiting cycle?

What happens if one of the signed from 2016 is no longer a student during the 2017 recruiting cycle?

Don't think it matters. The only thing that is counted is the initial number that enroll - the "initial counters" in NCAA speak. If Minnesota had 25 "initial counters" in 2016 - players that received athletically-related financial aid for the first time - that's the number they're beholden to, regardless of who stays/who goes after scholarships are distributed/payments made.

With his championship ring on. I doubt he has any regrets.

He probably doesn't- obviously getting playtime and/or an excellent education don't match up to a ring earned on the sidelines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't think it matters. The only thing that is counted is the initial number that enroll - the "initial counters" in NCAA speak. If Minnesota had 25 "initial counters" in 2016 - players that received athletically-related financial aid for the first time - that's the number they're beholden to, regardless of who stays/who goes after scholarships are distributed/payments made.

Same with RS on scholarship who still have eligibility graduate and move on?

per Greder:

College football programs are known to pump loud music into practices, but new Gophers coach P.J. Fleck put a bigger spin on it when he was coach at Western Michigan. He had a DJ booth inserted into the Broncos’ Waldo Stadium to play during games.

During his four-year run at Western Michigan, Fleck sometimes had a DJ mixing Kanye West and Drake jams into practice, with an occasional Toby Keith tune mixed in for country folk. Fleck, mic’d up, would cut the music at times when he needed to coach his players.

Recruits took notice.

“He understands our generation better than any coach in the country, I think,” said Nate Umlor, a Allentown, Mich., tight end and part of Fleck’s first recruiting class at Minnesota.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/2...l-how-does-pj-fleck-get-those-recruits-coach/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom