Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

When it comes down to it, you have to win if you want to recruit highly ranked classes most years. Look at Michigan State when Dantonio showed up for an example. When he first got there, the first couple of years he pulled down a 50 class then a 44 in his second year(247). The difference is that he won a lot of games in Michigan State and now they are a powerhouse and pull down top 25 classes every year. He didn't just show up and command elite talent, he won with overlooked talent and excellent coaching. I think the Gophers are at a very crucial tipping point this year, if we put together 9-10 wins and make a run at the West title, I'd be willing to bet we pull down a top 35 class next year. Want proof? Look at Iowa.

Based on Rivals:

Since Kill and Claeys came to MN and throwing out the 2011 class we are not on the same level of IA and WI in recruiting.

Since 2012
Minnesota: High= 41 in 2016, Low= 74 in 2013
Wisconsin: High= 23 in 2016, Low= 69 in 2012
Iowa: High= 38 in 2016, Low= 51 in 15' & 13'

Average for 2012-2016
Minnesota = 57.2 (Currently 62 for 2017)
Iowa = 45.6 (Currently 26 for 2017)
Wisconsin = 37.8 ( Currently 43 for 2017) Take out the 69th rank in 2012 and their average is 30 over the last four years.

Interesting is the excitement over the 2016 class and IA and WI also have their best class in 2016.

MN football will lag behind until we get Spring Ball. Down here in FL, they get a month of Spring Ball just like college. It makes a huge difference.

Based on Rivals:

Since Kill and Claeys came to MN and throwing out the 2011 class we are not on the same level of IA and WI in recruiting.

Since 2012
Minnesota: High= 41 in 2016, Low= 74 in 2013
Wisconsin: High= 23 in 2016, Low= 69 in 2012
Iowa: High= 38 in 2016, Low= 51 in 15' & 13'

Average for 2012
Looking at it we were pretty neck and neck with Iowa most of the last five years, and we finished ahead of Wisconsin in 2012, slightly behind in 2016 and they cleaned our clocks on the recruiting trail from 2013-2015. Still I would say we've out performed our rankings. If games were played based on star rankings we would be in trouble.

http://247sports.com/Season/2012-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=Big-Ten
http://247sports.com/Season/2013-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=Big-Ten
http://247sports.com/Season/2014-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=Big-Ten
http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=Big-Ten
http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=Big-Ten

Top 4:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

I know there's a lot of time left in the recruiting season, but this is just plain depressing.

I guess if you put your faith in recruiting sites then yes but when it comes to Gopher Football recruiting my faith is in Tracy Claeys..

What's alarming they only have 1 visit scheduled from a non - commit ( OL Green from Illinois)
If you're look at their prospect list not a lot with power offers. Unless we are in on some top JC kids, ranking wise, this will be one of the worst in the last 15 -20 years Right now we're tracking to finish dead last in the B1G .

What's alarming they only have 1 visit scheduled from a non - commit ( OL Green from Illinois)
If you're look at their prospect list not a lot with power offers. Unless we are in on some top JC kids, ranking wise, this will be one of the worst in the last 15 -20 years Right now we're tracking to finish dead last in the B1G .

We will have a smaller class this year and since rankings are cumulative, and do not average, we are destined to be ranked low. I have no doubt this will cause many to lose sleep. As long as our average dots is OK, I will sleep well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will have a smaller class this year and since rankings are cumulative, and do not average, we are destined to be ranked low. I have no doubt this will cause many to lose sleep. As long as our average dots is OK, I will sleep well.

Well our average stars according to Rivals are ranked dead last in the B1G right now, and it's not really even close. Claeys needs to have a big season this year. My biggest fear in hiring him was his recruiting ability. He's done very little to alleviate those fears.

Winning 9-10 games this year would go a long ways in recruiting, and would prove that Claeys can be a successful head coach.

Is TC a Donatonio clone with a bright future or just the backwash and left over from Kill's regime??????????

Its TC time going forward and the path that Kaler choose. Fasten your seat belts folks!

Over the years, various other programs have changed and become solid by bringing in projects and lesser ranked HS players. Player development is the key to the success of any program no matter the recruiting rankings. Although it should be somewhat easier with higher ranked players.

Camp offers outrank recruiting service stars.

Is TC a Donatonio clone with a bright future or just the backwash and left over from Kill's regime??????????

Its TC time going forward and the path that Kaler choose. Fasten your seat belts folks!

Over the years, various other programs have changed and become solid by bringing in projects and lesser ranked HS players. Player development is the key to the success of any program no matter the recruiting rankings. Although it should be somewhat easier with higher ranked players.

Dantonio is a poor comparison. He was a head coach before Michigan St. His first full recruiting class was tied for his worst, yet ranked 47th in the country. His second full recruiting class was ranked 17th. Kill never approached that level let alone Claeys.

You have to have solid development players, mixed with talented skill position players. Recruiting only developmental players will keep you as a mediocre program, at best. And yes, the rankings are not perfect, but they do matter.

Well our average stars according to Rivals are ranked dead last in the B1G right now, and it's not really even close. Claeys needs to have a big season this year. My biggest fear in hiring him was his recruiting ability. He's done very little to alleviate those fears.

Winning 9-10 games this year would go a long ways in recruiting, and would prove that Claeys can be a successful head coach.

Stars are so yesterday. It's all about the dots now.

At some point you need to start recruiting at a higher level. Ask yourself this, what percentage of kids on a class of 20 prospects can you coach up to compete for a B1G Championship? This is our current situation.

not worried. this staff will coach them up. we'll find a lot of diamonds in the rough. guys who were overlooked. we recruit heart, not stars. we recruit program fit, not class rankings.

At some point you need to start recruiting at a higher level. Ask yourself this, what percentage of kids on a class of 20 prospects can you coach up to compete for a B1G Championship? This is our current situation.

The staff has locked down the borders. We are now consistently at a point where the best MN preps play for the U.

Out-of-state recruiting absolutely needs to improve for us to take the next step. Not sure how anyone can disagree with that sentiment.

The staff has locked down the borders. We are now consistently at a point where the best MN preps play for the U.

Out-of-state recruiting absolutely needs to improve for us to take the next step. Not sure how anyone can disagree with that sentiment.

Do you think 10-2 is out of the question this year? I don't, and I think that would qualify as the next step.

But to put up 8 or 9 win seasons consistently I would agree, just not enough in-state talent.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom