All Things Gopher Baseball

Gophers schedule hasn't been released yet but looks like they will open up the season @Houston on February 13th.

In Game 1 of the Steak N Beans series, Jordan Smith and Toby Hanson both hit home runs. Matt Stemper had 2 doubles, while Matt Fiedler and Alex Boxwell added two stolen bases. Ben Meyer was strong on the mound in his 2.2 innings of work striking out five, allowing only 2 hits, and no runs. It was gorgeous night for a ballgame at Siebert Field and the team will be back at it at 1pm out at Siebert.

In Game 1 of the Steak N Beans series, Jordan Smith and Toby Hanson both hit home runs. Matt Stemper had 2 doubles, while Matt Fiedler and Alex Boxwell added two stolen bases. Ben Meyer was strong on the mound in his 2.2 innings of work striking out five, allowing only 2 hits, and no runs. It was gorgeous night for a ballgame at Siebert Field and the team will be back at it at 1pm out at Siebert.
Any idea who all played 1st base yesterday as that seems to be one of the biggest position openings to fill from last season?

Tyler Hanson and Kyle Crocker played 1st base for both Friday and Saturday's games. In Saturday's game, there was not much offense to come by as many of the freshmen pitchers looked quite good. Lucas Gilbreath, from Colorado, pitched 2.1 innings striking out 4, and Reggie Meyer, Ben's younger brother, struck out 3 in his 2.2 innings of work. Michael Handel went 2-2 with 2 RBI's for Maroon who won 3-0 to even the series 1-1.

Tyler Hanson and Kyle Crocker played 1st base for both Friday and Saturday's games. In Saturday's game, there was not much offense to come by as many of the freshmen pitchers looked quite good. Lucas Gilbreath, from Colorado, pitched 2.1 innings striking out 4, and Reggie Meyer, Ben's younger brother, struck out 3 in his 2.2 innings of work. Michael Handel went 2-2 with 2 RBI's for Maroon who won 3-0 to even the series 1-1.

I really think they should have Toby Hanson play first base or atleast get some time there. He is not a D1 caliber catcher and thats really one of the only positions i could see him playing. They could use his bat in the lineup and need to find a spot where they could play him without having any issues.

In a chilly game 3, the Gophers hitters combined for 15 hits in the 7 inning affair. Tyler Hanson, Matt Fiedler, and Chris Schaaf all went 2-3 in the game. Other notables at the plate were doubles by Alex Boxwell, Dan Motl, and Schaaf. Toby Hanson tripled, and Troy Traxler hit a home run.

Ben Meyer was dominant on the mound going 2.1 striking out 5 and allowing only 2 hits. Tim Shannon went 2.2 scoreless, and Lance Thonvold threw 1.2 no hit innings.

In game 4 of the Steak n Beans, Gold defeated Maroon 7-1. Toby Hanson went 2-3, with a 3 run homer and a 2 run single. Jordan Smith also went 2-3 with 2 RBIs. On the mound Lucas Gilbreath went 2.2 innings with 5 strikeouts without allowing a hit.

In game 4 of the Steak n Beans, Gold defeated Maroon 7-1. Toby Hanson went 2-3, with a 3 run homer and a 2 run single. Jordan Smith also went 2-3 with 2 RBIs. On the mound Lucas Gilbreath went 2.2 innings with 5 strikeouts without allowing a hit.
I know it is early on and only fall scrimmages but it is looking like at least a couple of these freshmen will be fighting for regular playing time and could make an impact.

I really think they should have Toby Hanson play first base or atleast get some time there. He is not a D1 caliber catcher and thats really one of the only positions i could see him playing. They could use his bat in the lineup and need to find a spot where they could play him without having any issues.

Curious as to why you think Toby Hansen is not a D1 caliber catcher? Good size, strong arm, quick release, gets the ball to second in a hurry, called all his own games in H.S. and is very good defensively. what's missing?

Was really hoping he would be a Gopher and not sure what the deal is with going JUCO had heard the Gophers and Oklahoma State were after him so either that changed or maybe it is to be able to play just 1 year of college and then be able to re-enter MLB draft.

Curious as to why you think Toby Hansen is not a D1 caliber catcher? Good size, strong arm, quick release, gets the ball to second in a hurry, called all his own games in H.S. and is very good defensively. what's missing?

If you have been around division 1 catchers you would know a 2.2 pop time isn't good enough. You should expect a 1.9 or 2.0 at worst. The arm isn't very strong, and the quickness on the feet is below average. His bat is great and will exceed at this level, but in games i think teams will take advantage of him and steal a lot of bags.

If you have been around division 1 catchers you would know a 2.2 pop time isn't good enough. You should expect a 1.9 or 2.0 at worst. The arm isn't very strong, and the quickness on the feet is below average. His bat is great and will exceed at this level, but in games i think teams will take advantage of him and steal a lot of bags.

Don't you think he is a good enough athlete that our program and staff should be able to bring his defensive inefficiency's that you mention up to D1 caliber pretty quickly. He is an 18 year old true freshman...seems a little soon to write him off as a B10 caliber catcher.

I haven't seen the official signings released by the Gophers yet but last night while watching the Prep Bowl the announcers were talking about Totino-Grace's Ben Mezzenga playing baseball for the Gophers. Watching him play last night he definitely has some good speed.

Hard to keep talent in state

Was really hoping he would be a Gopher and not sure what the deal is with going JUCO had heard the Gophers and Oklahoma State were after him so either that changed or maybe it is to be able to play just 1 year of college and then be able to re-enter MLB draft.

It's hard to keep the better players in state. Weather is a major factor. I know they offered the kid from Chanhassen a lot of money last year at the beginning of his Jr year, but he elected to head south also. I believe he was the earliest player they made an offer to.

Thanks for the added insight on some of these recruits it is sometimes hard to find stuff on them or see them when I'm in Northern Minnesota. Have you heard anything on the recruitment of Ty Buck of Red Wing? Reports I've heard are he is a very good player and could definitely make an impact right away but I've never seen him play myself.
Interesting I hadn't heard those stories about the kids that ended up leaving state but that would be very disappointing especially with how good some of these guys are. The only reason I could think of for not being in on them heavily is they made it known they had no interest in staying in Minnesota and if that is the case then it is probably best to just move on but I don't know how likely it would be that these kids would decide right away they didn't even want to look at Minnesota.
I think this year is very important for the program with a lot of returning players and what sounds like a few pretty good recruits I would expect the team to at least compete for an NCAA tournament spot and another mediocre year this year would be very disappointing for a program that not so long ago was regular Big Ten championship contenders.

The reality is that the vast majority of these guys have NOT played against hi-level elite competition. Check out the guys that have on the PG site. While some of the guys heading to the Gopher's are good athletes, they are not elite level and will struggle against D1 hitters and pitchers in my humble opinion.

7 recruits and the furthest away is Whitewater, Wisconsin. Get your ass on an airplane John. The women's softball team might double the men's baseball team.

Hey, I love the Gophers, and I have loved the Baseball Coach, John is what? The winningest B1G coach in history?!

So please don't crucify me for saying this, but with the investment the U made with the baseball stadium, is it maybe time to move in a different direction? Maybe it would be the right time to hire a coach who will have the ability to make us NATIONALLY relevant again?!

Hey, I might be wrong, way off, and I admit as much and hope that someone will prove me wrong. But its a legit question, isn't it? Minnesota Baseball has kind of died off recently and I see posters here wondering why Anderson isn't recruiting nationally?! Has he lost the desire to do the work needed? I'd love nothing more than for Anderson to be the one to bring us back to relevancy, but does he have enough left in the tank to do that?

Hey, I love the Gophers, and I have loved the Baseball Coach, John is what? The winningest B1G coach in history?!

So please don't crucify me for saying this, but with the investment the U made with the baseball stadium, is it maybe time to move in a different direction? Maybe it would be the right time to hire a coach who will have the ability to make us NATIONALLY relevant again?!

Hey, I might be wrong, way off, and I admit as much and hope that someone will prove me wrong. But its a legit question, isn't it? Minnesota Baseball has kind of died off recently and I see posters here wondering why Anderson isn't recruiting nationally?! Has he lost the desire to do the work needed? I'd love nothing more than for Anderson to be the one to bring us back to relevancy, but does he have enough left in the tank to do that?
I heard a radio interview with Anderson yesterday and they asked if they need to go to recruiting more nationally and he said they will probably have to start to more especially with more top Minnesota kids leaving for Nebraska, Florida, and Kentucky in recent years. He did make sure to mention that they always want to recruit Minnesota and the area first but acknowledged there may be times where they can't find what they need here. I think the Gophers could be a little bit of a surprise team in the B1G this year and am excited to see how they play especially opening up against a team like Houston who I believe is ranked #3.

T

As a long time college baseball fan with old ties to Gopher baseball, I have been wondering the same thing. I know, the whole weather thing and losing kids down south, but losing all these kids to Nebraska is crazy. The only difference is Nebraska treats it like a real sport. I am very disappointed in the direction Gopher baseball is headed.

Didn't know this guessing it was stated when he signed his last contract extension a few years ago.

Top Bottom