Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

I think you might be over-estimating how much effort the Gophers put into recruiting Steil.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparlimb View Post
    Saw a couple pitchers signed with Oregon St too. Can't blame anyone for wanting to go there. They've got it going on.
    That all happened due to the Asst. HC coach going to a family wedding and vacation near Webster, WI. Baseball coaches like to watch baseball. Goes to some games and sees and ends up signing a couple WI kids that were freshman last year. That put the Stillwater kids on their radar. They also nabbed the top ‘19 WI pitcher who is the son of former MLB pitcher Jarod Washburn. From Webster, WI. I suspect they like the fact our local kids have played in challenging weather.

Former teammate of Max Meyer at Woodbury. Entering his Sophomore season at Iowa Western. Played in 40 games mostly DH last Spring hitting in the middle of the order on a Iowa Western team that went to the JUCO World Series. His final numbers were .375 with 4 homeruns, 34 RBI, and scored 26 runs on

So on campus next fall? A DH/1B prospect. Did the Goph’s recruit him out of HS and stash him there waiting for a roster spot to open?

Quote Originally Posted by beavergopher View Post
    So on campus next fall? A DH/1B prospect. Did the Goph’s recruit him out of HS and stash him there waiting for a roster spot to open?
    Believe he will be here next fall. I know they followed him some in high school especially with Meyer there but not sure of the exact situation with him going to Iowa Western.

I know the season is a few months out, but the boys have been rated No. 28 by Collegiate Baseball in their first poll for 2019.

link: http://baseballnews.com/collegiate-b...poll-12-18-18/

2020 LHP out of Illinois. Currently the #12 player in the state for 2020.
    https://www.prepbaseballreport.com/p...uga-0913485672

Has the Men's basketball Final Four eliminated all baseball from being played at the "Sandcrawler" this winter? I see no home games until April for the Gophers.

Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
    Has the Men's basketball Final Four eliminated all baseball from being played at the "Sandcrawler" this winter? I see no home games until April for the Gophers.
    Yep, originally when the Final Four was first announced they were gonna be able to play a few weekends there but last year they changed it on them and decided they wouldn't be able to play any series there this year.

Few tweet updates on some incoming recruits.

Ronnie Sweeny is hitting .420 with 15 home runs 61 RBI and 58 runs in 53 games for an Iowa Western team that just advanced to the JUCO World Series.

@Goldy. Any additions to the class coming in next fall? Sounds like the kid from Colorado could be an impact guy as a frosh.

Quote Originally Posted by beavergopher View Post
    @Goldy. Any additions to the class coming in next fall? Sounds like the kid from Colorado could be an impact guy as a frosh.
    Not yet. I've seen coaches following a couple more Iowa Western guys, a transfer pitcher who was at Utah and I believe played at the same high school as Ireland, and a Arkansas transfer but I believe he has now committed to San Diego. I think part of it is how the draft goes. If you look at the current roster we are at the 35 allowable roster spots and have 7 seniors with 8 guys currently scheduled to come in. You look at draft possibilities and you have Eli Wilson who I could see being drafted high enough to sign and then maybe Brett Schulze who has had a solid year and was solid in cape cod last summer. Jordan Kozicky is a guy who I could've seen but not sure he will be drafted or it will be that high after a tough year stat wise. There are also a couple guys who have been around a few years and have seen little to no PT so wouldn't be a surprise if a guy or two transfers either.
    I really really like this incoming class and think a lot of guys could make a big impact. I think Ronnie Sweeny will be an immediate impact as a power guy in the middle of the order and should be as a JUCO. I'm also really excited about Sam Ireland and he is a very versatile guy playing 1st, 3rd, and corner OF this year as well as being really solid on the mound and his bat definitely looks like it can play. Kyle Bork also has looked really good with the bat every time I've watched him and seems pretty athletic seeing time at 1st, 3rd, and OF this Spring. Steve Jamroziak is the position player I haven't really been able to see much video on at all. I've seen reports on him that say he is very athletic and one compared him to Alex Boxwell. I know he was committed to Oklahoma before switching to Minnesota.
    As for the incoming pitchers they all seem pretty solid and I'm sure some will find a role early on but with what the Gophers will have coming back on the mound there probably isn't as much opportunity to make a huge impact as there is at the plate.
    Last edited by Goldy Gopher; 05-22-2019 at 05:09 PM.

Appreciate the info.

Transfer LHP who was at Utah this season. Numbers were solid 10 innings pitched 1 run on 9 hits 2 walks and 6 strikeouts. He made 3 appearances and all were within the first 3 weekends. Then it looks like he missed the rest of the year with injury and I see on his twitter he just had some type of surgery on his arm. This was the kid I was talking about in the other post that played with Sam Ireland in high school and was the 1-2 punch with him to win the state championship last year.

Gophers land another 2021. Very good prospect 6'3 left handed hitter out of Hopkins. Currently batting .338 on the season and has been very solid behind the plate. He has played catcher most of this season but was at shortstop for Hopkins legion team last summer.

https://www.hometownsource.com/sun_s...ign=user-share