All Things Gopher Baseball

Notre Dame not getting a top 8 seed is a bad miss by the selection committee.
Tough task for Nebraska being sent to Fayetteville.

How many B1G squads made the tourney?
3 Nebraska, Maryland, and Michigan. Would've been nice if Warren had let them play an out of conference schedule and see how many they got but with the circumstances I'd say those 3 were the expected teams. Couple others like Indiana had an outside chance but they really struggled down the stretch.

Last edited:

3 Nebraska, Maryland, and Indiana. Would've been nice if Warren had let them play an out of conference schedule and see how many they got but with the circumstances I'd say those 3 were the expected teams. Couple others like Indiana had an outside chance but they really struggled down the stretch.
Nebraska definitely got the toughest draw out of the 3, even though they won the Big Ten. Appears they placed those teams more on geographic proximity than on seeding.

3 Nebraska, Maryland, and Indiana. Would've been nice if Warren had let them play an out of conference schedule and see how many they got but with the circumstances I'd say those 3 were the expected teams. Couple others like Indiana had an outside chance but they really struggled down the stretch.

I know you mean Nebraska, Maryland, and Michigan made it in.

As a fan I had little-to-no enthusiasm this year; especially after seeing the results of the first few Gopher games. Hope the Gophers can climb back into the top rung of the Big Ten again ASAP.

Minnesota recruit Seth Clausen strikes out 16 tonight over 6 innings as Pleasant Valley beats Iowa City West 2-0 in baseball.
Up to 95 today.

Where are we on 14's contract?
I haven't seen anything announced. Guessing the hold up has more to do with issues related to the level of program support than with salary or John's desire to look elsewhere. I suppose that it could also be delayed if there is some disagreement over how much longer he wants to coach vs. Coyle wanting to start planning for the next phase of the program.

Where are we on 14's contract?
Caught Wolfson's scoop segment on Skor North yesterday and he said that the contract situation should be resolved soon, whether that is with Coyle reworking some language or ultimately Coyle refusing and Anderson deciding to just not sign the contract then.

Caught Wolfson's scoop segment on Skor North yesterday and he said that the contract situation should be resolved soon, whether that is with Coyle reworking some language or ultimately Coyle refusing and Anderson deciding to just not sign the contract then.
Allow me to play the outside fan contrarian. Where does Coyle go this year or five years from now for the next coach? Is there an inside coach who Anderson has groomed or will it be an outside hire when the day comes?

I think a pretty good guess would be "Packy" Casey. But I do not see 14 leaving soon.

Allow me to play the outside fan contrarian. Where does Coyle go this year or five years from now for the next coach? Is there an inside coach who Anderson has groomed or will it be an outside hire when the day comes?
I think Anderson would love to be a part of the process of picking the next coach. Both Casey and McDevitt are young highly thought of assistants. There are some other names across baseball as well but I haven't dug in too much yet as I think 14 will be back for at least a few more years.

From Pioneer Press this morning:
Look for Gophers hall of fame baseball coach John Anderson, who just completed his 40th season at Minnesota and whose contract expires in 2 1/2 weeks, to agree to an extension early this week.

I really don't think there was much doubt on this. Anderson is calm, steady, and knows what is fair. I look for good things from the Gophers next year.
What is your definition of good. If it’s not making the NCAA’s then I agree

Alec Willis.
If he goes 4th-5th round he will only get 300-400k. Smart kid. he will go to college.

Alec Willis.
If he goes 4th-5th round he will only get 300-400k. Smart kid. he will go to college.
All depends on his price tag. MLB draft is so weird and especially with the top 10 round picks and signing pool some teams will take a guy early that they know will go underslot and pick a guy in the 5th round and sign him for $1.4 million even though the slot might be 400K. Hope Alec is a tough sign and asking for a couple million.

What is your definition of good. If it’s not making the NCAA’s then I agree
Fair enough. If the pitching staff can get turned around like we hope it will, yes, making the NCAA's is a must. Thats pretty good in my estimation for a northern school.

Fair enough. If the pitching staff can get turned around like we hope it will, yes, making the NCAA's is a must. Thats pretty good in my estimation for a northern school.

As a general, fair expectation, I think the Gophers (based upon its program history), should quite regularly be in the top third of the Big Ten, which would usually yield an NCAA tournament bid in those years when we are in those top four teams.

As a general, fair expectation, I think the Gophers (based upon its program history), should quite regularly be in the top third of the Big Ten, which would usually yield an NCAA tournament bid in those years when we are in those top four teams.

Also factor in our ability to play home games in Feb/Mar and the Gophers should have an advantage over every other Big Ten program in that regard. I agree that the expectation for Gophers baseball should be top 4 just about every year, Conf championship every 5 years and NCAA appearance about 3 out of 5 years.

Top Bottom