Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Default All Things Gopher Baseball

Looks like the Gophers have landed what I believe is their first 2015 commit in Litchfield's Eddie Estrada. Estrada had actually committed to Illinois last summer but it looks like he changed his mind and decided to stay closer to home according to this article http://www.independentreview.net/new...0e02844f9.html

The Gophers should have around 8-11 roster spots to fill with the 2015 class and I believe the consensus top prospect in the state is still uncommitted in Red Wing P/3B Ty Buck although I'm sure he has no shortage of suitors I just hope this one turns out better for the Gophers than the past two great baseball prospects out of Red Wing have. Another in-state prospect that I wouldn't be surprised to see the Gophers go after is 6'11 RHP Sean Hjelle of Mahtomedi. I'm sure there are many more in-state prospects as well that I haven't looked into yet and I wouldn't be surprised with a JUCO player or two being in this recruiting class as well.

Great news.

Blog Entries

His nickname has to be Ponch?

Gophers land another commit today in Eastview's Cole McDevitt. Cole does have family ties to the program as his brother Ty is a pitcher for the Gophers. McDevitt's stats from mnbaseballhub this season show a .404 average with 2 homeruns in 16 games.

Tracy Smith to ASU. Have to feel sorry for IU.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by beavergopher View Post
    Tracy Smith to ASU. Have to feel sorry for IU.
    Not a surprise, and certainly can't blame him. Accomplish what he did in baseball at a Big Ten school and you're going to get noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by SelectionSunday View Post
    Not a surprise, and certainly can't blame him. Accomplish what he did in baseball at a Big Ten school and you're going to get noticed.
    Agreed, I believe one of the things Smith said was he wanted to experience how the other half lives and see what its like when you don't have to deal with the northern climate. Some early names that have interest in the Indiana job are Cincinnati head coach Ty Neal, Louisville assistant Chris Lemonis, Maryland head coach John Szefc, Vanderbilt assistant Travis Jewitt, and Xavier head coach Scott Googins. The most surprising name to see on there for me was the Maryland head coach especially with them entering the Big Ten next season.

Any chance football RB commit Rodney Smith plays baseball??

http://www.news-daily.com/news/2014/...yer-in-region/

And his production was well noted by the other coaches in the region. Smith, a second baseman and shortstop, was named the Region 4-AAAAA Player of the Year by the region’s coaches this week.

He responded by hitting .587 with 27 runs scored in 23 games for the Tigers. In addition, he had 37 hits with 10 coming as doubles and four triples. Smith, was also 22 of 23 on stolen bases.

Quote Originally Posted by pharmacygopher View Post
    Any chance football RB commit Rodney Smith plays baseball??

http://www.news-daily.com/news/2014/...yer-in-region/

And his production was well noted by the other coaches in the region. Smith, a second baseman and shortstop, was named the Region 4-AAAAA Player of the Year by the region’s coaches this week.

He responded by hitting .587 with 27 runs scored in 23 games for the Tigers. In addition, he had 37 hits with 10 coming as doubles and four triples. Smith, was also 22 of 23 on stolen bases.
    Maybe but not sure there is any room on the roster and not sure Anderson would be willing to cut someone off to open a space for him. I would think it would be pretty important for him to be in spring football this season as a freshman and it would probably be a better chance to see him maybe play both in his 2nd year on campus. I would think if he planned to play both we would have heard some mention of it already though but who really knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldy Gopher View Post
    Maybe but not sure there is any room on the roster and not sure Anderson would be willing to cut someone off to open a space for him. I would think it would be pretty important for him to be in spring football this season as a freshman and it would probably be a better chance to see him maybe play both in his 2nd year on campus. I would think if he planned to play both we would have heard some mention of it already though but who really knows.
    I agree, doesn't have to play right away. Decker's 1st year on the diamond was his RS Sophomore season.

Looks like the Gopher baseball roster has been updated for 2014-2015 and there are a couple of openings left on it. Mark Tatera and Joey Brettingen are 2 guys who were on it and played last year and still have eligibility left but are not on there this year and I'm not exactly sure on the reason but I do believe Brettingen has had some injury problems. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those open spots is filled by pitcher Tim Shannon who is pitching in the Northwoods League this summer and was at the U of M as a student while recovering from surgery last year.
    http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...asebl-mtt.html

Looks like Lackney is about 6'5 175lbs and throws all four pitches (fastball, curve, slider, changeup) and his fastball sits in the mid 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldy Gopher View Post

Looks like Lackney is about 6'5 175lbs and throws all four pitches (fastball, curve, slider, changeup) and his fastball sits in the mid 80's.
    Now that I like to hear. Ever since the Baggers dumped baseball, Wisconsin had been fertile recruiting ground for Gophers.
    "My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven't been cynical enough." - Chrisjen Avasarala

Was hoping the Gophers would be able to keep Hjelle at home but it always seems pretty hard for northern schools to do that when an SEC program comes calling. Hjelle is 6'11 and has been clocked at up to 89 mph, I believe he was one of the biggest risers over the summer and according to a recent interview with him in the Star Triune prep baseball report ranked him as the 28th best prospect in the country so I wouldn't be surprised if he is picked relatively early in the 2015 MLB draft and faced with the decision to head to college or sign with an MLB club.