NCAA Baseball Field of 64 Projection (final)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Final RPI (courtesy of Warren Nolan) is noted in parentheses.

Illinois (#55 in RPI) has a shot to be selected with 8 wins over teams projected to be in the field (Xavier-3, Florida-2, Indiana-1, Nebraska-1, Indiana State-1), but in the end I think it'll be only IU and Nebraska from the Big Ten. Hope I'm wrong, would like to see the B1G get a third team in there. Of note, future B1G member Maryland will be in the field.

FIELD OF 64 (5/26/14, 10:33 a.m.)
America East (1): Binghamton (157)

American (2): Houston (10), Louisville (19)

ACC (7): Virginia (1), Florida State (4), Miami (15), Maryland (25), Georgia Tech (32), North Carolina (41), Clemson (49)

Atlantic Sun (1): Kennesaw State (57)

Atlantic 10 (1): George Mason (119)

Big East (1): Xavier (100)

Big South (2): Liberty (28), Campbell (64)

Big Ten (2): Indiana (2), Nebraska (26)

Big XII (5): TCU (11), Texas (12), Texas Tech (17), Oklahoma State (18), Kansas (47)

Big West (4): Cal Poly (16), Long Beach State (29), UC-Irvine (43), Cal State-Fullerton (54)

Colonial (1): College of Charleston (52)

Conference USA (2): Rice (7), Old Dominion (35)

Horizon (1): Youngstown State (270)

Ivy (1): Columbia (37)

MAAC (1): Siena (198)

MAC (1): Kent State (127)

MEAC (1): Bethune-Cookman (202)

Missouri Valley (2): Indiana State (22), Dallas Baptist (27)

Mountain West (2): UNLV (31), San Diego State (36)

Northeast (1): Bryant (45)

Ohio Valley (1): Jacksonville State (97)

Pac 12 (5): Oregon State (6), Oregon (23), Washington (24), Arizona State (40), Stanford (44)

Patriot (1): Bucknell (111)

SEC (10): Florida (3), Vanderbilt (8), LSU (9), Ole Miss (13), South Carolina (14), Kentucky (20), Alabama (21), Mississippi State (30), Arkansas (33), Texas A&M (42)

Southern (1): Samford (74)

Southland (2): Sam Houston State (39), Southeastern Louisiana (73)

SWAC (1): Jackson State (269)

Summit (1): North Dakota State (248)

Sun Belt (1): Louisiana (5)

West Coast (1): Pepperdine (34)

WAC (1): Sacramento State (132)

*** I have Clemson (#49) as the last team in and Mercer (#46) as the first team out. Note that in 2013 the Big Ten had the first team out. After the pairings were announced the Selection Committee chairman said Michigan State (#42) was the first team out.

Last 8 In: Arizona State (40), North Carolina (41), Texas A&M (42), UC-Irvine (43), Stanford (44), Kansas (47), Clemson (49), Cal State-Fullerton (54)

First 8 Out: West Virginia (38), Mercer (46), UCF (48), UCSB (50), Tennessee (51), Western Carolina (53), Illinois (55), NC State (56)

63 of 64

I fell asleep at the wheel.

Got all of the at-larges correct (33 for 33), but for some reason I thought I saw Samford (not Georgia Southern) won the the Southern Conference Tournament. That's why it's important to trust, but then verify. So I gotta' settle for 63 of 64 correct.

Final RPI (courtesy of Warren Nolan) is noted in parentheses.

Illinois (#55 in RPI) has a shot to be selected with 8 wins over teams projected to be in the field (Xavier-3, Florida-2, Indiana-1, Nebraska-1, Indiana State-1), but in the end I think it'll be only IU and Nebraska from the Big Ten. Hope I'm wrong, would like to see the B1G get a third team in there. Of note, future B1G member Maryland will be in the field.

FIELD OF 64 (5/26/14, 10:33 a.m.)
America East (1): Binghamton (157)

American (2): Houston (10), Louisville (19)

ACC (7): Virginia (1), Florida State (4), Miami (15), Maryland (25), Georgia Tech (32), North Carolina (41), Clemson (49)

Atlantic Sun (1): Kennesaw State (57)

Atlantic 10 (1): George Mason (119)

Big East (1): Xavier (100)

Big South (2): Liberty (28), Campbell (64)

Big Ten (2): Indiana (2), Nebraska (26)

Big XII (5): TCU (11), Texas (12), Texas Tech (17), Oklahoma State (18), Kansas (47)

Big West (4): Cal Poly (16), Long Beach State (29), UC-Irvine (43), Cal State-Fullerton (54)

Colonial (1): College of Charleston (52)

Conference USA (2): Rice (7), Old Dominion (35)

Horizon (1): Youngstown State (270)

Ivy (1): Columbia (37)

MAAC (1): Siena (198)

MAC (1): Kent State (127)

MEAC (1): Bethune-Cookman (202)

Missouri Valley (2): Indiana State (22), Dallas Baptist (27)

Mountain West (2): UNLV (31), San Diego State (36)

Northeast (1): Bryant (45)

Ohio Valley (1): Jacksonville State (97)

Pac 12 (5): Oregon State (6), Oregon (23), Washington (24), Arizona State (40), Stanford (44)

Patriot (1): Bucknell (111)

SEC (10): Florida (3), Vanderbilt (8), LSU (9), Ole Miss (13), South Carolina (14), Kentucky (20), Alabama (21), Mississippi State (30), Arkansas (33), Texas A&M (42)

Southern (1): Samford (74)

Southland (2): Sam Houston State (39), Southeastern Louisiana (73)

SWAC (1): Jackson State (269)

Summit (1): North Dakota State (248)

Sun Belt (1): Louisiana (5)

West Coast (1): Pepperdine (34)

WAC (1): Sacramento State (132)

*** I have Clemson (#49) as the last team in and Mercer (#46) as the first team out. Note that in 2013 the Big Ten had the first team out. After the pairings were announced the Selection Committee chairman said Michigan State (#42) was the first team out.

Last 8 In: Arizona State (40), North Carolina (41), Texas A&M (42), UC-Irvine (43), Stanford (44), Kansas (47), Clemson (49), Cal State-Fullerton (54)

First 8 Out: West Virginia (38), Mercer (46), UCF (48), UCSB (50), Tennessee (51), Western Carolina (53), Illinois (55), NC State (56)
Nice job SS looks like you pretty much nailed it again. Was a little surprised when they showed the first 4 teams out and didn't have teams like Illinois and NC State on it but had a team like USC who I really didn't think had a chance at all. Watching the selection show I really thought the committee did a bad job seeding it as it seemed like the #2 overall seed Florida had a much tougher regional than the team they would potentially play in the supers Miami. Also thought #4 Indiana got a pretty tough potential super regional draw in Vanderbilt who some thought could end up being a national seed. I think sometimes these committees need to focus more on getting the right matchups to try to get the best teams to advance rather than focusing on making it regionally convenient.

Youngstown State's run through the Horizon League Tournament was nothing short of a miracle.

Regional winners

I'll go with:

#1 Oregon State (#1 national seed)
#3 Cal State-Fullerton

#2 Texas
#1 LSU (#8 national seed)

#1 Florida State (#5 national seed)
#2 Kentucky

#1 Vandy
#1 Indiana (#4 national seed)

#3 North Carolina
#1 Miami

#1 Cal Poly
#1 TCU (#7 national seed)

#1 Louisiana (#6 national seed)
#2 Washington

#1 South Carolina
#2 Arkansas

I'll go:

#1 Oregon State
#2 Nebraska

#2 Texas
#1 LSU

#1 Florida State
#1 Louisville

#3 Clemson
#1 Indiana

#1 Florida
#1 Miami

#2 Arizona State
#1 TCU

#2 Mississippi State
#1 Ole Miss

#1 South Carolina
#1 Virginia

Should be a fun weekend. Both Big Ten teams have a legit chance to get to the Supers. Like the way Erstad's teams play.

Indiana probably has the easiest path of anyone to the Supers. ... Indiana State, a middlin' Stanford team, and 16-win Youngstown State? It's a major choke job if the Hoosiers don't win that regional on their home field.

All Things NCAA Baseball Tournament

1st final is in.

Kennesaw State 1, Alabama 0.

Nebraska up 1-0 on Cal State-Fullerton. Husker pitcher Chance Sinclair has a no-no going through 6 innings.

Nebraska loses 5-1 to Cal State-Fullerton

Other finals.

Long Beach State 6, North Carolina 1

Future B1G member Maryland scores 3 in the bottom of the 9th to upend ODU, 4-3.

Nebraska outhit Fullerton 9-5 but went 0-7 with runners in scoring position and left 9 on base in a 5-1 loss. Fullerton got a couple of 2 out infield singles and then delivered the big blow with a grand slam off the Nebraska closer in the top of the 8th.
Really regretting picking Clemson to win a regional as they are being absolutely blasted by Oregon right now and for some reason didn't start their ace.

Funny results from the two FL regionals. Winners bracket is upside down. Bizon put a scare into my Beavers with a bunch of Mn kids, just like the football team. Almost waste a magnificent start by the #3 pitcher Andrew Moore. 14 k's, no BB's, 4 hitter.

Three #1 seeds take a loss on day 1 and they were all national seeds as well in #2 Florida, #5 Florida State, and #6 Louisiana-Lafayette. The Coon Rapids native Logan Shore took the loss for the Gators giving up 3 runs in the 1st in a 3-2 loss and then settling down and pitching well. Florida also pulled off the hidden ball trick to record their 1st out last night and I think that was the first time I've seen that in a college game. Maybe some of the analysts that complained about the Florida region being so tough and that Charleston should have been at worst a #3 seed were right.

#5 national seed Florida State becomes the first #1 seed eliminated after losing 6-5 to Alabama today. FSU did not score a run in the regional until the bottom of the 9th against Alabama which is very surprising for an offense that was real good during the regular season. Things got real interesting in the bottom of the 9th with Alabama leading 6-0 when 1 hit, a couple hit batters, and a number of walks loaded the bases for FSU and allowed the game to get to 6-3 with nobody out and the bases still loaded. Alabama finally was able to get the final out leaving the tying run for FSU on 3rd.
Nebraska scores 3 in the top of the 9th to stay alive with an 8-6 win.
Kentucky gets 4 in the top of the 9th to stay alive and avoid the upset bid by Kent State 4-2.

Another national seed is eliminated as #2 Florida gets beat by North Carolina.

One Big Ten team is eliminated as Nebraska falls to Fullerton again 4-3. Nebraska outhit Fullerton again but had 3 errors that proved very costly and balked in what ended up being the winning run.
Indiana is in a good spot to try to reach the supers as Stanford would have to beat them twice to prevent it and it is hard to imagine Indiana's offense being shut down twice in a row in this situation.

Indiana falls to Stanford 10-7 in a bit of a slugfest. Stanford got a 3 run homer in the 7th to take a 7-6 lead and added 3 runs in the top of the 9th as they were able to hang on for the win and set up a game Monday night with the winner headed to the super regionals.

Heading to Monday we have 7 teams who have punched their ticket to the super regionals- #7 TCU, Pepperdine, #3 Virginia, Maryland, Vanderbilt, Louisville, and Oklahoma State.

There will also be 6 winner take all games:
Alabama vs. Kennesaw State
#4 Indiana vs. Stanford
#6 Louisiana-Lafayette vs. Mississippi State
#8 LSU vs. Houston
Texas vs. Texas A&M
#1 Oregon State vs. UC Irvine

There are also a couple regionals behind schedule because of rain delays:
Winner of Long Beach State/North Carolina suspended game vs. College of Charleston(Charleston would need to be beat twice)
Miami vs. Texas Tech(completion of suspended game, if Miami wins they force a winner take all game, if Texas Tech wins they advance)
Washington vs. Ole Miss(if Washington wins it forces a winner take all game, if Ole Miss wins they advance)

Hoo, Hoo, Hoosiers. Hoo, hoo, Hoosiers.

Really hope Indiana doesn't spit the bit today vs. Stanford. Need to keep the Big Ten in the tournament as long as possible. Also pulling for future B1G member and tourney surprise Maryland to continue its run.

Hope Hoosiers have their bats going because not sure I really trust their starting staff much other than DeNato. Losing Hartong is a significant loss, but as long as they have Schwarber, Travis, Donley, and DeMuth the lineup should remain potent.

WOW! Indiana gets beat on a walk-off 2 run homerun. Stanford's top of the order matched Indiana's blow for blow and that's really not something that happens to Indiana too often. Still don't understand why they feel the need to alternate like they do who the home team is in these situations and imo the higher seed has earned the right throughout the year to be the home team and even if 2 teams face each other 3 times in the regional the higher seed should get to be the home team. I wouldn't mind if they used some sort of logic like the undefeated team is the home team or the team coming off the win is the home team but it seems like they kind of just go by who hasn't got to be the home team yet.

Real crazy weekend of baseball leaves us with these super regional matchups:
UC-Irvine @ Oklahoma State
Houston @ Texas

Stanford @ Vanderbilt
Kennesaw State @ Louisville

Ole Miss @ #6Louisiana-Lafayette
Maryland @ #3Virginia

College of Charleston @ Texas Tech
Pepperdine @ #7TCU

I'll go with Oklahoma State, Texas, Vanderbilt, Louisville, Ole Miss, Virginia, College of Charleston, and TCU to make the CWS.

Have to admit, Indiana's elimination last night has taken the starch out of the tournament for me. Was really hoping they'd get back to the WCS and do some damage, maybe even win it. Would have been especially gratifying if the SEC had gotten shut out of the WCS, but now that's not likely with Vandy getting Stanford in Nashville. It's been 11 years since the Big Ten won a national title in one of the three major sports (OSU football 2003 Fiesta Bowl). That has to end sometime soon, though I completely understand it's far less likely to occur in baseball.

Now I'll pull for Maryland because it'd be delicious irony if a departing ACC member won the title on its way out (to the Big Ten), but Virginia's not likely to let that happen in the Super Regionals.

Matchups are set for the CWS and only 2 national seeds end up making it in #3 Virginia and #7 TCU. 3 Big 12 teams, 2 SEC teams, 1 AAC team, 1 ACC team, and 1 Big West team make up the field.
UC-Irvine vs. Texas
Vanderbilt vs. Louisville
Texas Tech vs. TCU
Virginia vs. Ole Miss

Top Bottom