Former Gophers QB Phillip Nelson arrested in his hometown of Mankato for assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listen to Bob, let's not get the lynch mob out on Nelson when he wasn't the main guy in the wrong

I like Bob and his info may be good, BUT I have personally listened to the police scanner audio and Philip Nelson was ID'd at the scene as the one kicking the victim. Of course, by your reasoning, he wasn't a victim.

What is it with folks on GH looking for ways to have adults not be responsible for their actions? What you "don't get" is that if the victim (bear with me) picked a fight then PN should have walked away. Taking it further is criminal unless it was in defense. Kicking a guy who is down in the head is taking it so far past the line you can't even see the line anymore.

I have never seen a series of posts so sickening wrong as yours have been.

Then your comprehension of my posts is incorrect. I'm saddened as hell to hear of this guys current state, hoping like hell he pulls through. I just don't understand how if one guy starts a fight with another guy, and this happens to him, how the guys who got pulled into the fight can get vilified. I know the law doesn't care, but if I picked a fight and entered into it willingly, I have a hard time sending one of those guys to jail based on this freak outcome. But the lynch mob is out and Nelson will be ruined either way.

It sounds awesome to say "walk away", but elite athletes that are pushed to be physically tougher than everyone generally do not walk away from another man questioning their toughness; that's just not in the football culture. Some of you on here it may sound simple to, but I'm guessing you're 5'11" 175 lbs and so the decision is an easy one for you.

Someone who lives by the mantra "I have to convince everybody that I'm awesome" is somebody that already doesn't believe in themselves, nor like themselves. Protecting you/your family/your friends from an assailant is one thing, simply having your "durp durp" awesome "beer me" challenged, is another.

Then your comprehension of my posts is incorrect. I'm saddened as hell to hear of this guys current state, hoping like hell he pulls through. I just don't understand how if one guy starts a fight with another guy, and this happens to him, how the guys who got pulled into the fight can get vilified. I know the law doesn't care, but if I picked a fight and entered into it willingly, I have a hard time sending one of those guys to jail based on this freak outcome. But the lynch mob is out and Nelson will be ruined either way.

You just don't get it. Sad.

We know.

I like Bob and his info may be good, BUT I have personally listened to the police scanner audio and Philip Nelson was ID'd at the scene as the one kicking the victim. Of course, by your reasoning, he wasn't a victim.

What is it with folks on GH looking for ways to have adults not be responsible for their actions? What you "don't get" is that if the victim (bear with me) picked a fight then PN should have walked away. Taking it further is criminal unless it was in defense. Kicking a guy who is down in the head is taking it so far past the line you can't even see the line anymore.

What do you expect? This is the same site where people have threatened to beat and kill me over a joke and the admin has condoned it by allowing the posts.

I've heard from a source close to the situation that allegedly the attack was race based and that the Feds may get involved. #hatecrime

I wonder if Phil's media loving dad will have any quotes on this.

I'm lighting a candle for the victim. Prayers to his recovery.

Then your comprehension of my posts is incorrect.

Let me see if I got it....
Folks shouldn't fight. BUT if someone picks a fight then an all out cage match is acceptable and be damned the outcome, ESPECIALLY if the one being goated is an athlete that couldn't possibly be expected to control his temper.

I will say that it is much easier to walk away when you are a 50 year old adult compared to a 20 year old college kid. Its not exactly unheard of to hear of a college football player getting in a fight. Remember with Hageman. Max Bullough, the academic all american comes to mind as well. Kicking a kid in the head forcing him to the ICU is too far though.

What don't I get? The dude started a fight and lost; hope to hell he pulls through but both parties chose to go through with this fight.

Listen to Bob, let's not get the lynch mob out on Nelson when he wasn't the main guy in the wrong

I don't think you get it. I don't know if the reports are accurate bit if this kid dies and Nelson kicked in the head twice when he was down, Nelson is going to be charged and it isn't going to be for fighting. If you believe kicking somebody when he is down twice is just fighting, you have very little understanding of the law.

This is really shocking.

Not knowing the details (we're getting a lot of hearsay here from witnesses and non-witnesses) the third degree charge doesn't really match the injuries. Either Nelson was not the one kicking him or the reported charge seems too light.

In any vase, it's a tragic situation and utcome. Young guys under the influence of alcohol (and some older guys) are not in their right minds. Nelson didn't strike me as a violent personality.

This is really shocking.

Not knowing the details (we're getting a lot of hearsay here from witnesses and non-witnesses) the third degree charge doesn't really match the injuries. Either Nelson was not the one kicking him or the reported charge seems too light.

In any vase, it's a tragic situation and utcome. Young guys under the influence of alcohol (and some older guys) are not in their right minds. Nelson didn't strike me as a violent personality.

3rd degree assault is a felony. What more do you want?

This is really shocking.

Not sure if linking to deadspin is allowed but hey have the audio of the police scanners already uploaded. The guy was apparently completely unresponsive or 10 minutes after the cops arrived.

I'll point out the obvious. He is 20 and in an area that is nothing but bars (I know the area) at bar close. Not trying to start a Fox News type story about college kids drinking underage. I just thought I'd point it out. This wasn't outside some house party. He was likely at the bars as a minor. None of it ever should have happened. (Clearly I'm not saying fake IDs lead to bar fights, I'm just pointing out that he should not have been there.)

There are different degrees of felonious assault in minnesota. For someone in icu with presumed intracranial hemorrhage and all the attendant swelling and collateral damage likely to result I would expect a higher charge. This kid is on the precipice of death. First degree assault.

Believe it if you want but details will emerge. . .

It was a group situation starting with Phil and the other guy. Phil definitely was involved in the fight (which is really stupid, I know), but he wasn't the one who kicked the guy when he was down.

It sounds like drunk young men being stupid and one psychopath took it too far.

Thank you for sharing this...hope your info is correct.

I don't know Philip personally but it didn't really sound like him to kick a guy in the head when he's down. Nelson is still in the wrong but whoever kicked the victim in the head is probably in a lot more trouble here.

Honestly, I've never heard a bad word about Phillip. I talked to a few of his teammates and they were shocked and said this was completely out of character if true. I'm not ready to tear the kid apart yet, we only know a few details. I'm certainly holding off on my judgement. As for right now, I'm just wishing Isaac a full recovery. My thoughts and prayers to his family.

What don't I get? The dude started a fight and lost; hope to hell he pulls through but both parties chose to go through with this fight.

#1- Don't go around saying that the victim started the fight and had it coming, because nobody on here knows who started the fight at this point in time. For all we know, Nelson could have initiated it.

#2- the kid was down and defenseless while Nelson nearly kicked him to death (the kid could still die as he's in critical condition)

Lastly, if Nelson was confirmed repeatedly kicking the victim and the victim dies, he deserves all that is coming to him.

There are different degrees of felonious assault in minnesota. For someone in icu with presumed intracranial hemorrhage and all the attendant swelling and collateral damage likely to result I would expect a higher charge. This kid is on the precipice of death. First degree assault.

Listening to the scanner conversation, they said Kolstad had a "gurgling sound" in his lungs. This suggests damage to the chest area as well.

Listening to the scanner conversation, they said Kolstad had a "gurgling sound" in his lungs. This suggests damage to the chest area as well.

I'll wait for Dr. Don to confirm that.

It shouldn't surprise anyone on here that an NDSU football player was lip jacking a former Gopher football player; the little mans syndrome up there runs deep. Sucks that it happened, but if you initiate a fight you are accepting any consequences that may come from it.

You really need to take your own advice.

Lets not gang up on Nelson until we actually know the facts.

Can I get an abridged version?

Cops responding to a scene. Scene had been called in by a few diff folks. Victim unresponsive for 10-minutes. One suspect in custody. One still being searched for. One in custody is Philip Nelson. 3 witnesses at scene ID'd Philip as being involved. Confirmed they are saying PN kicked the victim in the head twice.

Cops responding to a scene. Scene had been called in by a few diff folks. Victim unresponsive for 10-minutes. One suspect in custody. One still being searched for. One in custody is Philip Nelson. 3 witnesses at scene ID'd Philip as being involved. Confirmed they are saying PN kicked the victim in the head twice.

How dare you incite the lynch mob with facts?

Not good. Everybody loses.This is really sad and incomprehensible. Pray that the Kolstad kid pulls through.

That can also be caused trauma to his windpipe or even brain damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom