Former Gophers QB Phillip Nelson arrested in his hometown of Mankato for assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there was any boozing involved, really stupid, shocking and sad things are apt to happen on a weekend night in a college town or any where else and common sense has nothing to do with any of it. I think it would be much better to wait to let the medics, the police, and the courts sort things out.

There is no need for a lynch-mob type of response until all facts are known.

I certainly hope for a good outcome medically for the injured young man.

First things first.

This will all get sorted out in the due course of time. Let the legal process work before you start going to war with each other here on Gopher Hole stating your deep-seeded frustrations, picking sides and trying to solve some old argument that you have been having with some other posters here on GOPHERHOLE.

I hope the injured person recovers fully and quickly and I hope the whole truth, nothing but the truth and all the truth will be learned by the legal system so that justice will prevail and law and order will be restored.

Nothing more...nothing less.

His football days are over. He may even see prison time if he is guilty.

Maybe, maybe not. If you recall, Glenn Winston at Michigan State put a guy in the hospital and did six months (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5019173). He was provided a tutor while in jail and was reinstated the day he got out. Of course this only lasted until he did it again (a couple months later).

So what you're saying is that we shouldn't "gang up" on Nelson until we know the facts, but that it's permissible to criticize the guy who's now in the hospital.....Got it.

My thoughts on the comment as well. You can't say wait until we know the facts and then make a "guess" as to what happened.

I hope it's not true. Although I'm not happy Nelson left, I certainly don't wish for him to do something this stupid (if true).

If some guy gets in your face (hypothetically, since no one knows what happened) you aren't going to "walk away".

Even if we accept that as true, I sure as heck am not going to kick someone who is down.

Apparently Phil can aim his kicks better than his passes.

I don't think it's confirmed that Phil was the one who kicked Isaac, just that he was part of the fight. I think people are reporting that the police are currently looking for somebody else involved. Usually these altercations involve a bunch of people. Apparently somebody took a video of the fight and it's in possession of the police, and I've heard Phil threw the first punch.

Sad story. Hoping Isaac can pull through.

Lets not gang up on Nelson until we actually know the facts. What we do know is that this Kolstad kid played at his rival Mankato East and also at NDSU. I'm guessing he was lip jacking Nelson and maybe got what he was asking for (a fight), and lost. If Nelson got baited into a fight and whooped the dude's ass then hopefully nothing happens to Nelson. If Nelson was looking for a fight and did that, then shame on him.

Real men walk away.

If there was any boozing involved, really stupid, shocking and sad things are apt to happen on a weekend night in a college town or any where else and common sense has nothing to do with any of it. I think it would be much better to wait to let the medics, the police, and the courts sort things out. There is no need for a lynch-mob type of response until all facts are known. I certainly hope for a good outcome medically for the injured young man. First things first. This will all get sorted out in the due course of time. Let the legal process work before you start going to war with each other here on Gopher Hole stating your deep-seeded frustrations, picking sides and trying to solve some old argument that you have been having with some other posters here on GOPHERHOLE. I hope the injured person recovers fully and quickly and I hope the whole truth, nothing but the truth and all the truth will be learned by the legal system so that justice will prevail and law and order will be restored. Nothing more...nothing less.

For once, I agree with your entire post, Wren.

Lets not gang up on Nelson until we actually know the facts.

What we do know is that this Kolstad kid played at his rival Mankato East and also at NDSU. I'm guessing he was lip jacking Nelson and maybe got what he was asking for (a fight), and lost. If Nelson got baited into a fight and whooped the dude's ass then hopefully nothing happens to Nelson. If Nelson was looking for a fight and did that, then shame on him.
LOL. It doesn't matter what Kolstad was doing. Short of self defense there is no excuse to send someone to an ICU. If self defense wasn't involved then this is completely Nelson's fault.

Having been in far too many fights in my youth (yes I was the fat kid that could actually fight), I can say that there is never a winner, just different ways of losing.

If you can walk away, you should. If you can't, win and then call the cops right away. Always better to be first to tell your story if you were defending yourself.

Problem is, all this usually goes out the window when alcohol is involved.

Hope the kid pulls through and hope nobody has to go to jail over drunken stupidity!

It sounds awesome to say "walk away", but elite athletes that are pushed to be physically tougher than everyone generally do not walk away from another man questioning their toughness; that's just not in the football culture. Some of you on here it may sound simple to, but I'm guessing you're 5'11" 175 lbs and so the decision is an easy one for you.

Believe it if you want but details will emerge. . .

It was a group situation starting with Phil and the other guy. Phil definitely was involved in the fight (which is really stupid, I know), but he wasn't the one who kicked the guy when he was down.

It sounds like drunk young men being stupid and one psychopath took it too far.

It sounds awesome to say "walk away", but elite athletes that are pushed to be physically tougher than everyone generally do not walk away from another man questioning their toughness; that's just not in the football culture. Some of you on here it may sound simple to, but I'm guessing you're 5'11" 175 lbs and so the decision is an easy one for you.

Exact same reasoning that many gangs use to justify their violence.

It was a group situation starting with Phil and the other guy. Phil definitely was involved in the fight (which is really stupid, I know), but he wasn't the one who kicked the guy when he was down.

I don't know Philip personally but it didn't really sound like him to kick a guy in the head when he's down. Nelson is still in the wrong but whoever kicked the victim in the head is probably in a lot more trouble here.

Okay tough guy.

It shouldn't surprise anyone on here that an NDSU football player was lip jacking a former Gopher football player; the little mans syndrome up there runs deep. Sucks that it happened, but if you initiate a fight you are accepting any consequences that may come from it.

Wow glad he's no longer part of the program. We don't need punks like this leading our team.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Not good when 3 people ID u as the one kicking the man when he is down...Right now phil better pray to god the kid does not die from blunt force trauma to the head. There is crap talked all over the place but very very few kick someone in the head when they are down.

I'm guessing this is about Philip?
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Noooo it is true! My young buck did do it! Hopefully the kid makes it! I'm shocked never thought this amazing kid was capable of this!</p>— MarQueis Gray (@MarQueisG) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarQueisG/statuses/465605210959020032">May 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It shouldn't surprise anyone on here that an NDSU football player was lip jacking a former Gopher football player; the little mans syndrome up there runs deep. Sucks that it happened, but if you initiate a fight you are accepting any consequences that may come from it.

Keep digging stc. It seems you just don't get it.

One v guy taking it too far spoils the whole bunch. Accessory time is just as much. Anyway glad he's not our headache. Once again, maybe Kill knew more about the kid than the rest of us. Sure hope the victim pulls through.

Keep digging stc. It seems you just don't get it.

What don't I get? The dude started a fight and lost; hope to hell he pulls through but both parties chose to go through with this fight.

Listen to Bob, let's not get the lynch mob out on Nelson when he wasn't the main guy in the wrong

What don't I get? The dude started a fight and lost; hope to hell he pulls through but both parties chose to go through with this fight.

Listen to Bob, let's not get the lynch mob out on Nelson when he wasn't the main guy in the wrong

If he kicked the guy in the head, he's facing a prison sentence. If the victim dies or is permanently disabled as a result, it will be a lengthy one. Either way, his D1 football career is over.

I have never seen a series of posts so sickening wrong as yours have been.

If he kicked the guy in the head, he's facing a prison sentence. If the victim dies or is permanently disabled as a result, it will be a lengthy one. Either way, his D1 football career is over.

If this happened here, especially with the publicity involved he would be guaranteed 10 to 15, if Kolstad comes out of it OK. Prayers going out to Kolstad and his family.

Nelson and anyone else charged will all be charged with the same charge for being involved. You won't be able to determine who's blow caused the potentially fatal damage. A friend of mine was involved in an altercation outside of a bar a few years ago and was confronted by a guy who he had kicked out of a bar a few weeks before. He hit the guy defending himself and the friend he was with joined in the altercation. Long story short the guy who was the aggressor ended up dying in the alley. Both guys were charged with the same crime and both ended up doing time. Nelson will most likely end up doing some time. Hopefully the guy recovers but when swelling in the brain happens, getting back to normal if it happens takes a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom