Gopher Women off-season thread

Can you let them coach a season or two before you start telling us how they are failing because your daughter isn't on the team?

Thank you for hopefully stopping the whining on this thread when nothing has happened yet. Well stated, Sparlimb.

Pretty tough to overcome a bad first impression, particularly in a provincial environment. Unless the entire coaching staff had high probability targets elsewhere, there should have been a presence at the tournament. The new coach doesn't appear more dynamic or talented than Borton (who I thought deserved to go) and this was an indication that she needs a Minnesotan in her inner circle to tell her how to navigate the local scene.

It's a non-issue. If it were an issue, it would have been discussed on Sue Short's Minnesota Women's Basketball Board. There has not been a peep about this there.

Did I say anything negative? I was referring to the fact that maybe the coaches were at another event where players they are recruiting were playing. My daughter is 13 and has no chance at ever playing college basketball and I am totally ok with that.

By the way it is on Sue Shorts Basketball Board including a poll its where I saw the information first.

Did I say anything negative? I was referring to the fact that maybe the coaches were at another event where players they are recruiting were playing. My daughter is 13 and has no chance at ever playing college basketball and I am totally ok with that.

By the way it is on Sue Shorts Basketball Board including a poll its where I saw the information first.

My daughters are mid twenties to early thirties, ranging in height from 5'3" to 5'6" and haven't played "competitively" since about age 12, but I still think they've got a shot. The fact that Stollings hasn't contacted them pisses me off!

There was more discussion on this board than on Sue's board. Sunnyday had the post, and there was a reply that said Fred Chmiel was signed up to attend. That was the whole thread.

My bet is that Chmiel was there, but might have had a grey polo, not a maroon or gold polo.

Apparently no Gopher coach set foot in Hopkins HS the entire weekend. More than 200 other college coaches, apparently, did.

Without the appropriate context given, this statement is meaningless. What colleges were those "more than 200" from? Were they from Penn St. and Tennessee, or from Mankato St. and Crown College? If the players there were all D-II/D-III type players, then of course the Gophers coaches wouldn't waste their time. They don't need to bother competing against Bemidji St. and Augsburg for players.

Video was fun

She reminds me a little bit of Trevor May on the hill. Nice potential but a little high and outside with the delivery.

Without the appropriate context given, this statement is meaningless. What colleges were those "more than 200" from? Were they from Penn St. and Tennessee, or from Mankato St. and Crown College? If the players there were all D-II/D-III type players, then of course the Gophers coaches wouldn't waste their time. They don't need to bother competing against Bemidji St. and Augsburg for players.

dpo makes a good point...if there was another tournament that all/most all of the elite players from Minnesota went to then I agree. I'm not up on the schedule but in recent years this was the showcase for Minnesota Elite players. Dahlman, Banham, Hirt, Tayler Hill, Brittany chambers, Ohm, Noga, Buck etc etc all played in this tournament in the past, along with the next 50 h.s. senior girls from MN and surrounding states.

But things change...maybe nobody of Division one caliber was playing? I'm thinking that's unlikely but I don't know the answer.

Just a thought - Maybe the new Gophers coach prefers evaluating players during their HS season - when they are playing in a team concept, playing defense as well as offense, and facing different types of offensive and defensive schemes from the opponents - as opposed to your typical AAU setting which, in my opinion, is more like a glorified pickup game where players are trying to "show off" their skills.

AAU ball has its merits, but I believe that how players perform in a HS game is a much better indicator of their overall game. Not to mention that HS games tend to be better-officiated.

It's like judging a player based on their highlight tape. It may be fun and flashy, but it doesn't tell the whole story or reveal the entire picture.

Well, however any of you feel about the Gopher coaches not showing up (the people at North Tartan would recognize Fred Chmiel regardless of what color shirt he wore), the fact is that people at Hopkins over that weekend were stunned, and not in a good way. There was considerable conversation about it. And again, these are not armchair QBs, these are the people who run and coach all of the major clubs in the metro area. If you think it totally coincidental that players like Tyseanna Johnson and T.T. Starks are at Iowa State and not MN, and that these folks have no influence on that, well, good for you.

2 years from now nobody will remember if they were there or not. But 2 years from now people will know whether the Stollings regime has a better relationship with MN coaches than the Borton regime did. If you're saying it doesn't matter, again, good for you. All I'm saying is there is now a trend line and it ain't good.

I don't know about Sue Short, but if you know who Kevin Anderson is, he wrote a rant about this that was very critical of the Gophers new regime. But I was at Hopkins that weekend too and I can tell you people were absolutely floored that the Gophers would blow off the MN AAU scene like that.

So you tell me what MN 2016-2017-2018 the Gophers could actually use (Nia Hollie? Chrissy Carr? or maybe none of the above and again then it doesn't matter) and look up who their AAU mentors might be, then let's just wait and see what happens. Maybe fences will be mended, but it's too bad they were damaged in the first place.

So you tell me what MN 2016-2017-2018 the Gophers could actually use (Nia Hollie? Chrissy Carr? or maybe none of the above and again then it doesn't matter) and look up who their AAU mentors might be, then let's just wait and see what happens. Maybe fences will be mended, but it's too bad they were damaged in the first place.

I believe we already offered Carr. Correct?

Go Gophers!!

Well, however any of you feel about the Gopher coaches not showing up (the people at North Tartan would recognize Fred Chmiel regardless of what color shirt he wore), the fact is that people at Hopkins over that weekend were stunned, and not in a good way. There was considerable conversation about it. And again, these are not armchair QBs, these are the people who run and coach all of the major clubs in the metro area. If you think it totally coincidental that players like Tyseanna Johnson and T.T. Starks are at Iowa State and not MN, and that these folks have no influence on that, well, good for you.

2 years from now nobody will remember if they were there or not. But 2 years from now people will know whether the Stollings regime has a better relationship with MN coaches than the Borton regime did. If you're saying it doesn't matter, again, good for you. All I'm saying is there is now a trend line and it ain't good.

I don't know about Sue Short, but if you know who Kevin Anderson is, he wrote a rant about this that was very critical of the Gophers new regime. But I was at Hopkins that weekend too and I can tell you people were absolutely floored that the Gophers would blow off the MN AAU scene like that.

I noticed you didn't answer my question about what other colleges had coaches there.

I noticed you didn't answer my question about what other colleges had coaches there.

Looks like Sunnyday doesn't have time for your routine today. BIG schools were Northwestern, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Ohio State. Regional majors were Iowa State, Kansas State, Notre Dame, and Marquette. West Coast majors were UCLA, Washington State, Oregon, and Oregon State. A smattering of mid-manors from the Midwest. Then most area DII and DIII along with South Dakota School of Mines which is what you were probably looking for.

Still can't believe Stollings simply blew this off, especially with a top assistant listed as set to attend and with the emphasis on being able to recruit locally when Teague hired her. Would be interested in knowing what those AAU coaches are saying now instead of that weekend.

Looks like Sunnyday doesn't have time for your routine today.

My routine? What does that even mean? Yes, I do very much enjoy bringing facts and context into a discussion.

Thank you for showing that several competing Big Ten schools were there, which means that Stollings' absence (or at the very least that of her staff) was inexcusable. You could've shared that information without the snotty attitude.

My routine? What does that even mean? Yes, I do very much enjoy bringing facts and context into a discussion.

Thank you for showing that several competing Big Ten schools were there, which means that Stollings' absence (or at the very least that of her staff) was inexcusable. You could've shared that information without the snotty attitude.

You could have thanked Mulligan for answering your question.

We've already offered both of them, so not sure that's a huge issue.

Originally Posted by WolfontheProwl

My daughter is 13 and has no chance at ever playing college basketball

Way to ruin her dream. :(

Might as well post it here but a hell of an entertaining Lynx game this afternoon. Watching Whalen and Tarausi go at it was worth it alone. If it was hockey, those two would had the gloves off a couple of times between today's game and Friday night's. I scoffed at those who thought Whalen should or could replace Borton this year. However, down the line I hope she gets a shot at coaching the Gophers. About as smart and fearless a player as we've had here--men or women. Took it right at Griner a couple of times, and she's always talking, doesn't take any of Tarausi's crap, and always telling people what to do. McCarville finally made some plays at the end on defense and rebounding but she's struggled against Griner. I guess most people do. Damn, it would be nice if both programs could get back to those Final Four levels, the men so it would count this time. The most fun seasons in a long time around here.

Might as well post it here but a hell of an entertaining Lynx game this afternoon. Watching Whalen and Tarausi go at it was worth it alone. If it was hockey, those two would had the gloves off a couple of times between today's game and Friday night's. I scoffed at those who thought Whalen should or could replace Borton this year. However, down the line I hope she gets a shot at coaching the Gophers. About as smart and fearless a player as we've had here--men or women. Took it right at Griner a couple of times, and she's always talking, doesn't take any of Tarausi's crap, and always telling people what to do. McCarville finally made some plays at the end on defense and rebounding but she's struggled against Griner. I guess most people do. Damn, it would be nice if both programs could get back to those Final Four levels, the men so it would count this time. The most fun seasons in a long time around here.

Would sure like to steal a win Tues night and send Phoenix packing. I watched today's game after I knew the score and kept saying to myself, how do the Lynx win? Taruasi is a punk and easy to piss off. And Griner followed right along today. Get those two whining and off their game and Lynx have a chance. That said, I think we lose by 20...

Would sure like to steal a win Tues night and send Phoenix packing. I watched today's game after I knew the score and kept saying to myself, how do the Lynx win? Taruasi is a punk and easy to piss off. And Griner followed right along today. Get those two whining and off their game and Lynx have a chance. That said, I think we lose by 20...

Griner sure is a dirty player. Either that or she's sloppy. All of her picks are moving, and usually she swings the elbows or outright pushes with her hands. She's very grabby defensively. Frustrating to watch, she only has 2 fouls late in the 3rd. McCarville not having a good day today, but Whalen sure has stepped up so far.

Refs have called a decent game other than the blind eye toward Griner.

Griner sure is a dirty player. Either that or she's sloppy. All of her picks are moving, and usually she swings the elbows or outright pushes with her hands. She's very grabby defensively. Frustrating to watch, she only has 2 fouls late in the 3rd. McCarville not having a good day today, but Whalen sure has stepped up so far.

Refs have called a decent game other than the blind eye toward Griner.

I dislike it when people piss and moan about posts being OT BUT THIS IS RIDICULOUS. This is not a Lynx thread or forum.

I dislike it when people piss and moan about posts being OT BUT THIS IS RIDICULOUS. This is not a Lynx thread or forum.

Nope, but conversation about former Gophers is on topic and worthy of the forum. And since arguably the two best players ever to come through Minnesota play for the Lynx, it becomes on topic. Don't worry though, their season is over and you won't have to weed through thousands of WNBA posts any longer.

Top Bottom