Gopher Women off-season thread

Nope, but conversation about former Gophers is on topic and worthy of the forum. And since arguably the two best players ever to come through Minnesota play for the Lynx, it becomes on topic. Don't worry though, their season is over and you won't have to weed through thousands of WNBA posts any longer.

Will we be discussing the NY Jets on the football board?....

Will we be discussing the NY Jets on the football board?....

Almost guaranteed. And why wouldn't we? Someone always starts a "former Gophers in the NFL" thread each and every season.

Almost guaranteed. And why wouldn't we? Someone always starts a "former Gophers in the NFL" thread each and every season.
Makes a lot more sense than watching other NFL games to root for you "fantasy" players.

I dislike it when people piss and moan about posts being OT BUT THIS IS RIDICULOUS. This is not a Lynx thread or forum.

Pray tell, how is talking about Lynx players Whalen and McCarville different than posting about Macalester coach Roysland? Wonder who had more of an impact around here?

Pray tell, how is talking about Lynx players Whalen and McCarville different than posting about Macalester coach Roysland? Wonder who had more of an impact around here?

I don't plan on a continuing discussion of Macalaster basketball.

I don't plan on a continuing discussion of Macalaster basketball.
Have we had the discussion about the fact that 29 year old Roysland recently married a mid50s Pac12/Moutain West Ref? The guy was on 1500 with Reusse at the fair on Saturday. Too bad he doesn't ref the big 10, we might get some calls.

Have we had the discussion about the fact that 29 year old Roysland recently married a mid50s Pac12/Moutain West Ref? The guy was on 1500 with Reusse at the fair on Saturday. Too bad he doesn't ref the big 10, we might get some calls.

I felt bad for her, but I wasn't available. That guy has all the luck.

Haven't seen anything posted. Here is the Gopher's TV schedule this year. Maryland at the Barn on national TV. Will be fun.

"The University of Minnesota women's basketball team will be featured at least six times on the Big Ten Network, and once on ESPN2, as the Big Ten Conference today announced its 2014-15 women's basketball broadcast schedule.

Head coach Marlene Stollings' Golden Gophers have home games on BTN versus Nebraska (Dec. 29), Indiana (Jan. 18) and Iowa (Feb. 17), while the squad's Williams Arena showdown against Maryland (Jan. 11) will air live on ESPN2. Minnesota's home contest versus Michigan could also be selected for a live BTN broadcast.

Fans will have the opportunity to watch the Gophers live on the road at Rutgers (Jan. 25), at Illinois (Feb. 5) and at Nebraska (Feb. 24) on BTN, while the road contest at Iowa (March 1) also has the chance of being picked up by the league network."

Thanks for the schedule.

Seems to me that is more than in the past. This could be a very good year for the ladies. Will be a fun team to watch.

Yep, this has a chance to be a really special season for the ladies. If Stollings knows how to coach, this should be a 23-to-25 win squad (prior to the NCAA tourney).

Have the Gopher women and men ever made the NCAA tourney in the same year?

Haven't seen anything posted. Here is the Gopher's TV schedule this year. Maryland at the Barn on national TV. Will be fun.

I'd imagine the women's crowd is too classy to give Brenda the Bo Ryan treatment. But they should come up with something fun and PG rated.

Thanks SS.

I'm excited for both teams this year.....should be fun.

Whalen and the USA team with a nice showing to win the FIBA championship. A couple of her Lynx teammates and coach Reeve also with her on the team.

Here in Pittsburgh caught a "Media in Women's Sports" show on PBS this afternoon. Figured I'd check it out, turned out to be produced by the University of Minnesota. Why a U of M production was on Pittsburgh PBS, I don't know, but was well produced, and examined the portrayal of womens sports by the media (national, in particular). Was produced by the Tucker Center, and included interviews across many of the Gopher womens sports, and also Whalen, Cheryl Reeve, and Maya Moore of the Lynx. U of M (and womens sports) fans should check it out.

Whalen and the USA team with a nice showing to win the FIBA championship. A couple of her Lynx teammates and coach Reeve also with her on the team.

Here in Pittsburgh caught a "Media in Women's Sports" show on PBS this afternoon. Figured I'd check it out, turned out to be produced by the University of Minnesota. Why a U of M production was on Pittsburgh PBS, I don't know, but was well produced, and examined the portrayal of womens sports by the media (national, in particular). Was produced by the Tucker Center, and included interviews across many of the Gopher womens sports, and also Whalen, Cheryl Reeve, and Maya Moore of the Lynx. U of M (and womens sports) fans should check it out.

I hope they update the Women's Basketball display at the HOF. There is still no mention of Whalen's participation on the last 3 USA Basketball Sr Women's Gold Medal teams. Of course the last gold medal wasn't won until yesterday, but 2010 & 2012 was not on the display.

Top Bottom