Gopher Women off-season thread

#1 priority for Gophers now: Nia Hollie from Hopkins. Going to be more highly touted than Nia Coffey, except Nia is more likely to stay home.

#1 priority for Gophers now: Nia Hollie from Hopkins. Going to be more highly touted than Nia Coffey, except Nia is more likely to stay home.

SD State has a verbal commitment from Madison Guebert of Eastview, Class of '15. Did the 'Rabbits steal one away from the Gophers? Anyone see both Guebert and TT Starks (Hopkins) play this year...any comparison with Nia Hollie (Hopkins '16) -- other than Guebert is 3-inches shorter than Hollie?

SD State has a verbal commitment from Madison Guebert of Eastview, Class of '15. Did the 'Rabbits steal one away from the Gophers? Anyone see both Guebert and TT Starks (Hopkins) play this year...any comparison with Nia Hollie (Hopkins '16) -- other than Guebert is 3-inches shorter than Hollie?

Actually, SDSU did beat out Minnesota for Guebert. Both had offers on the table. She's an excellent scorer and should be expected to be nothing short of great for the Jackrabbits. But, as for next year, Nia Hollie will be the most talented player in the state and is more versatile than Guebert. I'd expect her to garner some huge offers! Hopefully the Gophers can keep her home.

There, certainly, is much more than Hollie in that class even though Hollie may be the best of the lot. You can add Courtney Frederickson and Taylor Koenen to the must need list. Ideally, I would like Stollings to get all three, but 2 of the 3 would be ok. The class after that is far better.

Saw somewhere the Gophers are in the running for a significant transfer from a traditionally strong program. I think it was one of the schools in Conference USA? Hope it's a forward to go along with Banham and Zahui B,

Saw somewhere the Gophers are in the running for a significant transfer from a traditionally strong program. I think it was one of the schools in Conference USA? Hope it's a forward to go along with Banham and Zahui B,

Someone that could play right away or one that would have to sit out a year? Banham is gone after this year. Sad that she has not played in the tourney yet.

I look for Wagner to play the wing/3 next year.....replace Noga. Hopefully Mullaney is ready to go.

Any link to the article? I want to know who it is!

Shae Kelley--Junior from Old Dominion. This might be a really, really good player. Doesn't look like she'll be eligible right away.

Kelley, a 6-foot-1 junior from Denver, Colo., was clearly ODU’s best player. She led the team in scoring (18.1 points), shooting percentage (47.6 percent), rebounding (10.1), blocked shots (37) and steals (59).

She also was at her best when ODU most needed her to be – she scored 30 or more points in three of the Lady Monarchs’ last five games, all won by ODU. Her 16 double-doubles ranks 17th nationally and he needs just 41 more points to score 1,000 in her career.

“She’s a great leader for us and clearly deserves this honor,” Barefoot said. “She’s led us in rebounding and scoring and does all of the little things. She brings her best when her best is needed, and she’s done that down the stretch.”

Now on the women's BB site someone posted she graduated and is eligible. Damn, adding Wagner and Kelley to Banham and Zahui B!!! Setting up very nicely for Stollings.

What a get! 1st team Conference-USA and adds to a position of need. With Banham, Wagner, Kelley, Hirt, and Zahui B in the starting lineup and Mullaney and McDaniel coming off the bench, this team should be very good.

Like the big Swede. She stares down players like McCarvile did. I remember the game against Wisconsin when she set
a mid court seen and nobody from Wisconsin hollered it out. The young lady hit the floor like a sack of rocks. The "look"
and nasty smile from McCarvile was priceless.

If I had to pick a starting five I would probably go with Zahoui, Kelly, Wagner, Banham, and either Jacobs or Mullaney.

If I had to pick a starting five I would probably go with Zahoui, Kelly, Wagner, Banham, and either Jacobs or Mullaney.

Well, you have to be able to correctly spell out the starting lineup first before you can pick it! ;)

GopherSports: Chmiel Completes Stollings' Coaching Staff
Chmiel will serve as the Golden Gophers' defensive coordinator and will be responsible for opponent scouting and working with the guards.

University of Minnesota head women’s basketball coach Marlene Stollings today announced the addition of Fred Chmiel to her coaching staff. Chmiel, who spent the previous four seasons at Penn State, will serve as the Golden Gophers’ defensive coordinator and will be responsible for opponent scouting and working with the guards.

“It is such a privilege to have arguably the best defensive coordinator and scouting assistant in the game joining our program,” Stollings said. “Fred’s coaching accomplishments are phenomenal and his presence will be immeasurable. He will help elevate our program into the national spotlight. Fred is an extraordinary addition to the Gopher family.”

In his four years at Penn State in the same position, Chmiel helped the Lady Lions to three-straight Big Ten regular-season titles and three NCAA Tournament appearances, including two Sweet Sixteen appearances. Chmiel played a pivotal role in helping the backcourt duo of Alex Bentley and Maggie Lucas develop into first team All-Big Ten and All-America performers, as well as WNBA Draft picks in 2013 and 2014, respectively. He also mentored Dara Taylor, who was named the 2014 Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/052114aaa.html

Go Gophers!!

Hibbing Daily Tribune: Stollings looking forward to new coaching job

“I’m a Big Ten person at heart,” Stollings said. “When this opportunity came about it was a no-brainer for me to take this next step in my career and have an opportunity to represent a Big Ten program.

“It was a dream-come-true for me.”

Stollings started her coaching career at Winthrop University in Rock Hill, South Carolina. She had been an assistant coach for 11 years, working her way through the ranks, ending up in the SEC.

When VCU came calling it was an opportunity for Stollings to advance in her career.

“We had good success there,” Stollings said. “When Minnesota called, the timeliness of all of it was unexpected, but certainly it is a great opportunity to advance.”

Even though she was coaching at VCU, Stollings said she has always followed the Big Ten, so she knew a little bit about the Gophers program.

“I followed them somewhat throughout the year the best I could,” Stollings said. “I knew they had some pieces to the puzzle in place. I knew they had some good players coming in.

“I felt this was a program that we could put back in the national spotlight. I would not have taken the position if I didn’t feel the pieces were in place to do that, both from an administrative standpoint as well as what we had to work with as a team.”

http://www.hibbingmn.com/sports/col...cle_529f91fc-e2ee-11e3-963d-0019bb2963f4.html

Go Gophers!!

Leticia Romero?

We can always use more help.

Leticia Romero?

We can always use more help.

Have you seen any reports where Romero is interested in talking to MN or are you suggesting that MN reach out to Romero? Very impressive stats for a freshman. Does anyone know if Mullaney's concussion issues have cleared?

## Player GP GS Tot Avg FG FGA Pct 3FG FGA Pct FT FTA FT% Off Def Tot Avg PF FO A TO Blk Stl Pts Avg
10 Romero, Leticia 30 30 978 32.6 145 346 .419 38 97 .392 99 128 .773 45 129 174 5.8 96 7 149 131 6 57 427 14.2

I haven't seen anything. Just saw she was granted her release in a strange saga at KState.

Supposedly, she has as many as 94 teams on her LIST that she says she is considering. Kelly was a great GET. This one would be even better!!

Have you seen any reports where Romero is interested in talking to MN or are you suggesting that MN reach out to Romero? Very impressive stats for a freshman. Does anyone know if Mullaney's concussion issues have cleared?

## Player GP GS Tot Avg FG FGA Pct 3FG FGA Pct FT FTA FT% Off Def Tot Avg PF FO A TO Blk Stl Pts Avg
10 Romero, Leticia 30 30 978 32.6 145 346 .419 38 97 .392 99 128 .773 45 129 174 5.8 96 7 149 131 6 57 427 14.2

Minnesota was on Romero's list of 94 schools she wanted to be released to. It was visible on the Outside the Lines they did with her. :D She would fill in nicely when Banham graduates.

MN Daily: Gophers coaching staff assembled

After Marlene Stollings was hired in April to replace Pam Borton as head women’s basketball coach, she worked quickly to assemble a coaching staff.

The resulting combination of Niki Dawkins, John Motherwell and Fred Chmiel offers Stollings a diverse group of assistants who possess a variety of strengths.

“What I looked to do initially with the staff in some ways is putting together a puzzle,” Stollings said. “One of my biggest priorities is to solidify any weaknesses that any one member of the staff has with bringing in someone who has a strength in that area.”

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/womens-basketball/2014/07/01/gophers-coaching-staff-assembled

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom