Q&A: De La Salle's Sacar Anim: "I love the Barn. Great atmosphere."

So, umm, Anim locked down Jimmy Whitt today and added in some nice scoring in front of Pitino. What more is coaching staff looking for?
Josh and Jarvis also guarded Whitt, Pitino would like to see some perimeter scoring skill from the 6'4" Anim. Anim tends to drop his left hand off the ball too early leading to poor form on perimeter shooting combine that with accuracy issues and high majors become wary.

I have a good feeling about Amin and I trust Pitino. I expect something to happen here. This staff will make the right decision.

I'm sure Pitino likes him. I'd imagine he just likes guys like Whitt, Walton and Trier more and wants to feel them out before offering Sacar. My guess is Pitino will offer if and when those guys tell him they're not coming here. An offer before then would surprise me.

I'm sure Pitino likes him. I'd imagine he just likes guys like Whitt, Walton and Trier more and wants to feel them out before offering Sacar. My guess is Pitino will offer if and when those guys tell him they're not coming here. An offer before then would surprise me.

My thoughts as well. I think Anim would commit here pretty quickly if Pitino offers.

+1 I think Pitino should have offered months ago. He fits the system well, soon it will be too late.

This is not a diss but how does he fit the system? Pitino has said that he wants 3 guys that can handle the ball and shoot 3s. That was his statement of what he wanted in his lineup. Coleman may have left anyway but it was made clear that he really didn't fit the system and Anim has a similar skill set.

This is not a diss but how does he fit the system? Pitino has said that he wants 3 guys that can handle the ball and shoot 3s. That was his statement of what he wanted in his lineup. Coleman may have left anyway but it was made clear that he really didn't fit the system and Anim has a similar skill set.

Sacar can handle the ball well, he can defend 3 different positions at an elite level, he's athletic, and he gets to the rim and scores as well as any recruit in the country right now. Great on the fast-break, good attitude, and wants to be here. That's why he's a fit in many people's minds. His shooting needs work, but he may project to bring here what Austin Hollins did for us. And the mechanics behind his shot is something that the coaching staff can work on with him to at least get it respectable at the collegiate level.

It's easy...anybody can be a shooter

Sacar can handle the ball well, he can defend 3 different positions at an elite level, he's athletic, and he gets to the rim and scores as well as any recruit in the country right now. Great on the fast-break, good attitude, and wants to be here. That's why he's a fit in many people's minds. His shooting needs work, but he may project to bring here what Austin Hollins did for us. And the mechanics behind his shot is something that the coaching staff can work on with him to at least get it respectable at the collegiate level.

So, what you are saying is because his high school coaching is subpar? They haven't even noticed his shot is ugly?
They haven't even tried to fix it. His high school coaches aren't capable of fixing his shot?

Dave Thorson can coach. I know you aren't saying the above but Here is the problem: It's close to impossible to fix someone's shot
in the first 10 days of the high school season. After that window closes, now you are playing games and as a player you are not willing
to publicly embarrass yourself working on your new shot...so you revert to old habits...or try and blend the two and now you have total disaster. Do that with a kid a couple times and you'll just leave a kid alone instead as a coach.

But wait you can fix it in the summer. No, you can't. You can only work with him in June and July. The intensity/pressure for the player
is even more crucial with the AAU season and each players dreams, so you can't mess with his shot then either. Especially then.

The perfect time to fix someones shot would be August, September, October, November but you can't do it then either as the high school
coach because it is against the rules to coach your players other than the season and June and July.

Add to the mix that few people can actually teach shooting and it's why not many people can shoot. There are only about 500 different
theories on how you do it. Just have two different people...even two coaches on the same staff...try and "fix" your shot and you'll
be messed up. Guaranteed.

I agree his shot could be fixed in college but only if the person teaching him is gifted and the if student is willing to be coached.
It doesn't happen too often. Did Nolen ever learn how to shoot? etc etc

So, what you are saying is because his high school coaching is subpar? They haven't even noticed his shot is ugly?
They haven't even tried to fix it. His high school coaches aren't capable of fixing his shot?

Dave Thorson can coach. I know you aren't saying the above but Here is the problem: It's close to impossible to fix someone's shot
in the first 10 days of the high school season. After that window closes, now you are playing games and as a player you are not willing
to publicly embarrass yourself working on your new shot...so you revert to old habits...or try and blend the two and now you have total disaster. Do that with a kid a couple times and you'll just leave a kid alone instead as a coach.

But wait you can fix it in the summer. No, you can't. You can only work with him in June and July. The intensity/pressure for the player
is even more crucial with the AAU season and each players dreams, so you can't mess with his shot then either. Especially then.

The perfect time to fix someones shot would be August, September, October, November but you can't do it then either as the high school
coach because it is against the rules to coach your players other than the season and June and July.

Add to the mix that few people can actually teach shooting and it's why not many people can shoot. There are only about 500 different
theories on how you do it. Just have two different people...even two coaches on the same staff...try and "fix" your shot and you'll

I agree his shot could be fixed in college but only if the person teaching him is gifted and the if student is willing to be coached.

This. A lot of people just think it's a given that someone will improve their shot. It isn't. The people who improve their shots a meaningful amount after high school are outliers. Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing Sacar in a Gopher jersey. I'd prefer not to offer him until the staff knows where our other wing targets are going, though.

He's a really good finished but I wouldn't go so far as I say he's as good as anyone in the country. And I think he has a decen handle but not great for a 6'3 guard. He was basically the 3rd ball handler at DLS and maybe even 4th since Travis was trusted to handle it a lot. Again I think he has talent but he's still pretty raw at this point

I agree with you, very difficult to retool a player's shot. I think that's why Anim appears to be Plan B. I could tell they were trying to change McNeil's shot, but results were mixed at best. Morris has good form, yet is a below average 3 point shooter. To take the next step we need wings who are ready to put it up when they walk on campus. That's one reason why I like the Lofton signing and I'm guessing Mason won't be all that far behind.

Net gain has better skills and technique coaching, he wants to get that shot locked and loaded.

Odd time to switch teams, isn't this the last 30ish days of his AAU hoops career?

Assumption or fact?

An AAU program isn't going to fix your shot in 30 days. Anim plays for one of the best HS coaches in the country. I'm sure they've worked on his tirelessly. I assume he believes he's a high-major player who wasn't pulling in those type of offers with HP. Net Gain gives him a chance to be the #1 option on a decent stage. Though he was doing well in the EYBL he was still behind Illikainen, Johnson, and Coffey. IMO it was mistake to switch last minute. Peach Jam and AAU Super Showcase are the top 2 tournament in July. You do well in those tournaments the offers will come. Really rolled the dice with the switch.

An AAU program isn't going to fix your shot in 30 days. Anim plays for one of the best HS coaches in the country. I'm sure they've worked on his tirelessly. I assume he believes he's a high-major player who wasn't pulling in those type of offers with HP. Net Gain gives him a chance to be the #1 option on a decent stage. Though he was doing well in the EYBL he was still behind Illikainen, Johnson, and Coffey. IMO it was mistake to switch last minute. Peach Jam and AAU Super Showcase are the top 2 tournament in July. You do well in those tournaments the offers will come. Really rolled the dice with the switch.

I believe its allowed to play with multiple AAU teams just not in the same tourney...
Maybe he didn't switch and he is just working with those guys at Net Gains also for some tourneys and exposure.

It doesn't seem like a good move to "switch" teams Peach Jam is a very big deal, Net Gains is not involved in it.

I believe its allowed to play with multiple AAU teams just not in the same tourney...
Maybe he didn't switch and he is just working with those guys at Net Gains also for some tourneys and exposure.

It doesn't seem like a good move to "switch" teams Peach Jam is a very big deal, Net Gains is not involved in it.

Peach Jam is already over and Sacar played in it with HP. He switched to Net Gain to play for his brother's team. The AAU season is basically over after this weekend, this really isn't a big deal guys.

He missed the Peach Jam and AAU Super Showcase to play with Net Gain. Both of those tournaments are on ESPNU. Not saying Net Gain can't give him exposure but not at the level that HP does, especially those 2 tournaments. Wonder if scouts will take loyalty as a factor when recruiting him now.

Marcus Fuller says he wanted to play on his Brother's AAU team to close out his AAU career, but everything else said on the thread could also be true

:rolleyes:

whatta ya got?

Why do you disagree Thorson is one of the best HS coaches in the country? Just curious? Did he cut you
or a friend? You go to their games? You coach against him? How do you come to disagree? Or, just clueless?

Why do you disagree Thorson is one of the best HS coaches in the country? Just curious? Did he cut you
or a friend? You go to their games? You coach against him? How do you come to disagree? Or, just clueless?

I've got no skin in this game. But while we are waiting for his response, care to give yours in support of said argument?

I've got no skin in this game. But while we are waiting for his response, care to give yours in support of said argument?

I support him as being one of the best coaches in the country because a few factors in this order.

- He coached the East High School All-Star team in the Jordan Brand Classic (closest thing to the McDonalds All American Game, the teams are typically identical) Which was played in MSG and aired on ESPN. (He also had had a player Reid Travis in both all-star games)

- His De lasalle teams are perenial contenders and have won multiple state championships.

-He's coached and help develop a significant number of D1 talents including NBA swingman Alan Anderson.

I support him as being one of the best coaches in the country because a few factors in this order.

- He coached the East High School All-Star team in the Jordan Brand Classic (closest thing to the McDonalds All American Game, the teams are typically identical) Which was played in MSG and aired on ESPN. (He also had had a player Reid Travis in both all-star games)

- His De lasalle teams are perenial contenders and have won multiple state championships.

-He's coached and help develop a significant number of D1 talents including NBA swingman Alan Anderson.

Anyone who has watched his teams play can see they are very disciplined as well. There's also the fact that he coached in the Big Ten.

Top Bottom