Frank Kaminsky says the NBA looks "flat out" boring

People's perception of the NBA is so laughable. It's so obvious from a person's statement that they haven't watched a game since the early 2000s (when there was bad basketball played).

Barkley nailed it when he said during the tourney that the NBA is as bad as it has ever been. It does nothing for me. The league's marquee player is a flopping spoiled brat who wears a nickname on his jersey during actual league games. Give me an Olajuwon, Malone, Reggie Miller...gamers who play both ends of the floor.

He actually has never been further from the truth... And that is saying a lot considering Barkley said it.

I think the most ridiculous thing in this whole thread is the insinuation that LeBron James doesn't play defense.

He sucks! He chokes! NBA is just streetball crap and all they care about is offense! You can watch the last 20 seconds of a game because that is what it always comes down too!

Any other dumb criticisms I'm missing?

People's perception of the NBA is so laughable. It's so obvious from a person's statement that they haven't watched a game since the early 2000s (when there was bad basketball played).

Or they only watch the Wolves ...

I think it is fair to say the people that post on this site are passionate about college basketball but incredibly split on the NBA.

I wonder if you took 100 posters on the football forum, 100 posters on the hockey forum, or 100 posters on the baseball forum....if you would get nearly as wide an array of opinions about the respective pro leagues. My guess is no.

There is a major disconnect for me. I used to watch college players for years and follow them to the NBA. With all the high schoolers in the 90s and the one and dones now, that connection is gone. I can't look at the NBA and find one team or player that I can genuinely root for. Couple that with failure after failure out of the Wolves and it's harder and harder for me to stay interested.

There is a major disconnect for me. I used to watch college players for years and follow them to the NBA. With all the high schoolers in the 90s and the one and dones now, that connection is gone. I can't look at the NBA and find one team or player that I can genuinely root for. Couple that with failure after failure out of the Wolves and it's harder and harder for me to stay interested.

Yeah! Why can't these kids provide me uncompensated entertainment! Why are they so uppity now! Probably rap music...

Barkley nailed it when he said during the tourney that the NBA is as bad as it has ever been. It does nothing for me. The league's marquee player is a flopping spoiled brat who wears a nickname on his jersey during actual league games. Give me an Olajuwon, Malone, Reggie Miller...gamers who play both ends of the floor.

Olajuwon wore "Akeem" on the back of his jersey while with the Houston Cougars. Isaiah Thomas wore his first name on his jersey for a time during his NBA career. Lebron James, Kobe (in his prime), etc. play remarkable levels of defense. Do you actually have anything in this post that is at all accurate or was what you wrote purely poorly worded sarcasm? Maybe just stupidity?

Well that's your opinion, NBA was way more exciting in the 80's and 90's, it might be a more skilled game now, but AAU has killed the competitive side of things. NBA use to have great rivalries because the star players hated each other, now they become bros on the AAU circuit and they team up in the pros the first chance that they get

Well that's your opinion, NBA was way more exciting in the 80's and 90's, it might be a more skilled game now, but AAU has killed the competitive side of things. NBA use to have great rivalries because the star players hated each other, now they become bros on the AAU circuit and they team up in the pros the first chance that they get

It does seem a lot of the edge has been taken out of the NBA. Honestly, are there any real rivalries in the sport?

It does seem a lot of the edge has been taken out of the NBA. Honestly, are there any real rivalries in the sport?

I can't think of one? Have the wolves ever had a rival? The last decent rivalry I can think of was Lakers and Kings, or Pistons Pacers in the early 2000's. NBA needs to figure out how to bring that edge back to the league, it seems like everything boils down to pro Lebron or Lebron haters now, For a league that prides itself on marketing his superstars the only real polarizing figure is Lebron James

Yeah, it's absolutely a big reason the league is not as popular anymore for some people. The hatred/battles of the 80's-90's just aren't nearly as prevalent. Part of the reason for the great rivalries in the past were because guys like Magic, Bird, Jordan, Miller, Malone/Stockton, Thomas, Ewing and other stars played for the same team most of their careers.

Yeah, it's absolutely a big reason the league is not as popular anymore for some people. The hatred/battles of the 80's-90's just aren't nearly as prevalent. Part of the reason for the great rivalries in the past were because guys like Magic, Bird, Jordan, Miller, Malone/Stockton, Thomas, Ewing and other stars played for the same team most of their careers.

+1

I'd also like to throw in that the NBA has actively tried to curb physical play. It's hard to have a team to hate, or a player to hate, if everything is about finesse. Sure, some players can make that extremely exciting. The majority of teams won't have that/those player(s).

Also, I loved Kaminsky's quote:

"At the Kohl Center, we play in front of nearly 17,000 fans every single time we step onto the court. When we travel, we play in front of sell out crowds who absolutely hate us. Not because of who is on the team, but because of where we go to school. Who could leave that?"

What does that have to do with anything from the post that you're quoting?

The poster originally said he had no connection to the NBA anymore because of 1 and dones and high schoolers going direct to the NBA. Therefore, because these kids are refusing to play for free and instead want to be compensated he doesn't get to develop a connection.

I think another reason is because the NBA markets its stars instead of its teams.

I think another reason is because the NBA markets its stars instead of its teams.

Absolutely agree! The NBA and the networks who broadcast them seem to believe that NBA watchers only want to watch the stars, so the same teams are broadcast so often on TNT, ESPN, and whatever big three network occasionally broadcasts the league's games (ABC I think). NBA TV has a little more variety but that is an add on station that doesn't come along with most standard cable packages.

I don't really blame them to be honest though. The NBA is more about individual play than most other sports/leagues.

Yep, and with how guys move around nowadays, it's even more so. Years ago, there is no way a guy like LeBron James leaves Cleveland, guys stuck with their franchises through it all. I love that a guy like Reggie Miller stayed with Indy his entire career, he had just as frustrating playoff losses as LeBron did in Cleveland, but he didn't think "let me sign with another team and team up with some guys". Never won a ring, but I respect the heck out of that guy for sticking with his franchise for his whole career. Players are just not compelled to do that anymore, it's all about seeking out the easiest path to a ring, and more power to them, but just saying that's how it is. There's just way too much money at stake now.

Yep, and with how guys move around nowadays, it's even more so. Years ago, there is no way a guy like LeBron James leaves Cleveland, guys stuck with their franchises through it all. I love that a guy like Reggie Miller stayed with Indy his entire career, he had just as frustrating playoff losses as LeBron did in Cleveland, but he didn't think "let me sign with another team and team up with some guys". Never won a ring, but I respect the heck out of that guy for sticking with his franchise for his whole career. Players are just not compelled to do that anymore, it's all about seeking out the easiest path to a ring, and more power to them, but just saying that's how it is. There's just way too much money at stake now.
I was a Knicks fan before the Wolves came to be and man did I hate Reggie Miller. That was a rivalry. I can still see him giving the choke sign to Spike Lee.

Reggie Miller also had a competent GM in INDY. He at least had help around him. Name an NBA star during those days that had a worse supporting cast than LeBron did?

Boy, Cleveland sure is lucky. James leaves and they win the top secret, behind closed doors lottery a third time. What are the odds? It must be fate!

Yes, the NBA must be rigged, because it definitely has a vested interest in a large, growing, profitable market like Cleveland succeeding.... :rolleyes:

Yes, the NBA must be rigged, because it definitely has a vested interest in a large, growing, profitable market like Cleveland succeeding.... :rolleyes:

The NBA does have a massive referee problem that it is trying to keep behind closed doors and under the rug.

Top Bottom