STrib: U taking a look at renovation of Mariucci Arena

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

The University of Minnesota already has big goals for athletic venue upgrades. This spring, it’s looking to add one more building to its to-do list: Mariucci Arena.

The university is considering an $8 million renovation of Mariucci that could potentially include a smaller ice sheet, better sight lines and increased seating.

The proposal, which was requested by the university Board of Regents, is separate from the $190 million master facilities plan the athletic department released last summer.

Also in the Mariucci considerations: expanding the weight room in the 21-year-old building, adding other training facilities and renovating both locker rooms.

“We’re excited about some of the things we can do with Mariucci, and it will be a great shot in the arm for our hockey program, ” athletic director Norwood Teague said. “We have a couple of a la carte projects such as this that we’ve been planning on funding for a while.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/257438471.html

Go Gophers!!

it seems as if everyone has moved to the small sheet. I for one love the big sheet with our fast guys, really lends itself to home ice advantage. Can't say I am at all surprised by this.

it seems as if everyone has moved to the small sheet. I for one love the big sheet with our fast guys, really lends itself to home ice advantage. Can't say I am at all surprised by this.

It looks more like the Kohl Center size.

Not quite international, not quite NHL.

They should leave the size of the sheet alone. I for one love the size and home ice advantage it brings us. Why would they want to make it smaller...

yeah for the skill guys we land, why would we want to lose that advantage against tighter checking teams? seems kind of foolish

They should leave the size of the sheet alone. I for one love the size and home ice advantage it brings us. Why would they want to make it smaller...

Because the goal is to win NCAA titles, and the NCAA's (and B1G tournament) are not played on a large sheet.

I wish everyone else had followed our lead and went to the international sheet. NCAA should've mandated it. It's a much better game, IMO, much better to watch especially. But they haven't, and aren't going to.

Because the goal is to win NCAA titles, and the NCAA's (and B1G tournament) are not played on a large sheet.

I wish everyone else had followed our lead and went to the international sheet. NCAA should've mandated it. It's a much better game, IMO, much better to watch especially. But they haven't, and aren't going to.

Plus the smaller sheet means more seats and more revenue which is good as well.

We have a rink a few hundred feet away to practice for those games. Doubt many teams have Olympic sheets to practice for trips to Mariucci.

My OCD is okay with splitting the difference between 85 and 100. We'll see how they handle seating, though.

Keep it the way it is. They should change the lighting though. We don't need to have the stands all lit up like a Wal-Mart.

The only thing lit up should be the rink. Keep the focus on the game.

When you go to the movies do they keep the lights on?

Shrink it....100 feet is great for the game, and a nice home ice advantage, but getting used to that huge sheet doesn't help in playoff time. Split the difference, have some extra ice, but not get it closer to the nhl size. win/win

just happy to see any money go toward our men's hockey program

I'd like to see them move the blue lines forward 10 feet; open the game up.

Been in every part of Mariucci and always loved the big ice.
Things that I thought could be better were...Home locker room which is high school sized and designed of concrete block should be expanded and wood paneled with classic cherry (maroon). Bigger hot and cold tubs. Lobby which is also too small for the lines and of concrete block should at least be wood paneled in classic cherry. Suite level expanded to ring the whole arena.

This. It's a disadvantage when it comes to the playoffs.

As for everyone going to the International ice, it's not going to happen. Especially since the Frozen Four is played in NHL arenas for the most part, which all have the smaller sheet. Granted, I think the NHL game would be better on the larger sheet, but that will never happen because of the cost to reconfigure arenas and the loss of high-revenue lower deck seating.

Top Bottom