Northwestern players to vote Friday on the union measure

Will the Northwestern players form a union?

• Aye

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Nay

Votes: 24 77.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

They are paid probably $80,000 a year now. Unionization would not only kill college football, but almost all college sports that depend on football/basketball revenue to survive.

They are paid probably $80,000 a year now. Unionization would not only kill college football, but almost all college sports that depend on football/basketball revenue to survive.

Perhaps the huge pay raises the head coaches all around the country are getting and even the coordinators and assistant coaches will have just as much to do with the killing of college football. Heck, even our own Coach Kill made a killing during the off season with his pay increase and now our coordinators and coaches are really "killing it too..." Just my very own Golden Gopher Coaching staff added to the burdon that college football is under in 2014. So, do you REALLY speak with a straight face when you put the future of college football squarely on this vote by the Northwestern players on whether to unionize or not unionize? How many millions during the next three years will my very own Golden Gopher Coach and his staff cost my Golden Gopher Football Program? Why, probably well north of 5 million dollars during the next three years alone!

Just LOOK at this! Perhaps we will need to expect more productivity from each coach and assistant coach as a result of this significant pay increase. How many wins per million dollars in salary increases can I expect?

I'm not so damned worried about what the players might or might not get as I am about this:

"...
http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...(-346K-to-600K)-and-Limegrover-(-341K-to-550K)..."

I don't see it passing... we can only cross our fingers. If it passes I do predict that all the kids with free rides will be let go from there scholarship and filled with walk ons..

I think they'll vote "aye," but they shouldn't.

I think they'll vote "aye," but they shouldn't.

Multiple players have spoken out, Colter is the only player that i currently know that is in favor of it and he doesn't even have a vote i believe. I don't think they will vote yes.

I don't see it passing... we can only cross our fingers. If it passes I do predict that all the kids with free rides will be let go from there scholarship and filled with walk ons..

Well, you should LIKE that outcome! Just think what GREAT shape that will put NCAA Football in! Since it is any benefits that the players might get that put NCAA Football as we know it in danger, just think of ALL the money that would then be available to jack up the bonus clauses, and salaries of the head coaches, coordinators and assistant coaches, not to mention the athletic directors pay off!

I predict they vote "No" and the whining immediately starts about how the coach expressed his opinion (he's allowed to) and that unfairly swayed the players. I hope that regardless of the outcome, the whining is muted and the decision accepted.

Well, you should LIKE that outcome! Just think what GREAT shape that will put NCAA Football in! Since it is any benefits that the players might get that put NCAA Football as we know it in danger, just think of ALL the money that would then be available to jack up the bonus clauses, and salaries of the head coaches, coordinators and assistant coaches, not to mention the athletic directors pay off!

Wrenny is right. If this comes to pass, I may have to change occupations and get into coaching. I need the extra income...

I'll say no. Judging from that q&a document there appears to be a lot of unanswered questions from both the players and parents.

I'll say no. Judging from that q&a document there appears to be a lot of unanswered questions from both the players and parents.

You are right. There is much for the players and parents to be concerned about. There could be a real downside for the players having a say about stipends for their personal living expenses, the amount of time they spend at football practice, the ability to choose their major, and the long term health impacts of injuries sustained when they played for Dear Old Alma Mater.

I am hoping that the students vote yea. I think this will be a great exercise in the potential of negotiating and bargaining. And, the influence of 3rd parties, like the NCAA or television will be diminished, which is nothing but a good thing. I hope that academic issues will be raised, like increasing study time, free time, and the ability to schedule classes when available. There are so many issues that potentially could or should be brought forward over time. I think the students at Northwestern are bright, intelligent, and capable of organizing well and looking out for group and individual interests as a union. To me, this has all the makings of a great American experiment. And, it ought to move forward as such. If they kill it they will have lost a great opportunity to try something different in all of college athletics. This is such a unique opportunity, why waste it with a nay vote! It is almost unthinkable for me to see it any other way. This is no more a slippery slope than doing nothing, which is ripe with latent costs in terms of long term injuries, the plague of scheduling classes, and access to social life during the season with someone other than football players. The players already can negotiate separate deals with the university. But, what they can not do as individuals, they may accomplish as a group. That is a dynamic I hope they do not forget.

I am hoping that the students vote yea. I think this will be a great exercise in the potential of negotiating and bargaining. And, the influence of 3rd parties, like the NCAA or television will be diminished, which is nothing but a good thing. I hope that academic issues will be raised, like increasing study time, free time, and the ability to schedule classes when available. There are so many issues that potentially could or should be brought forward over time. I think the students at Northwestern are bright, intelligent, and capable of organizing well and looking out for group and individual interests as a union. To me, this has all the makings of a great American experiment. And, it ought to move forward as such. If they kill it they will have lost a great opportunity to try something different in all of college athletics. This is such a unique opportunity, why waste it with a nay vote! It is almost unthinkable for me to see it any other way. This is no more a slippery slope than doing nothing, which is ripe with latent costs in terms of long term injuries, the plague of scheduling classes, and access to social life during the season with someone other than football players. The players already can negotiate separate deals with the university. But, what they can not do as individuals, they may accomplish as a group. That is a dynamic I hope they do not forget.

Agreed. However, a no vote won't stop the train. The unions are coming to college. A no vote would simply delay the inevitable.

Eh. If unions become the norm. I'll just be able to throw more money at the Vikings. No need to waste my money on the minor leagues. Not anything I'm gonna lose sleep over.

I have no interest in bringing the CFL to America.

One thing I find a bit amusing is Fitzgerald telling the players you can trust me and not some other party. Who is to say he doesn't leave the program as happens from time to time with coaches. If a new coach and/or administration comes in, it could be good or bad for the players. It cuts both ways. I'm not saying the players should vote yes but the NW slant is very one sided.

You are right. There is much for the players and parents to be concerned about. There could be a real downside for the players having a say about stipends for their personal living expenses, the amount of time they spend at football practice, the ability to choose their major, and the long term health impacts of injuries sustained when they played for Dear Old Alma Mater.

They already have a say about all of those things. Good try, though.

One thing I find a bit amusing is Fitzgerald telling the players you can trust me and not some other party. Who is to say he doesn't leave the program as happens from time to time with coaches. If a new coach and/or administration comes in, it could be good or bad for the players. It cuts both ways. I'm not saying the players should vote yes but the NW slant is very one sided.

That's the typical response from management that faces a unionization effort. They always say trust us, we know what's best for you and have your best interests at heart. Only an idiot would believe them.

They already have a say about all of those things. Good try, though.

Spot on. There is a price to do anything in this world and the sooner kids learn it isn't all going to be given to them the better off they will be. Funny how a willingness to work hard, a degree and some maturity can help you even after you quit playing football (or any sport for that matter).

According to the ESPN story, they aren't actually going to tally the votes for years until Northwestern is done with their appeals. If that is correct, then this is all for show anyway. By the time we know what they chose, it won't matter anymore because all those kids will be gone...

That's the typical response from management that faces a unionization effort. They always say trust us, we know what's best for you and have your best interests at heart. Only an idiot would believe them.

Really? - As opposed to believing your holier than thou proselytizing? Contrary to your belief this issue is much more complicated than you would have us believe or think. There are far more legitimate issues and reasonable beliefs than just yours. I hope you haven't hurt your back in congratulating yourself with your superiority. Your arrogance is something to behold.:rolleyes:

So you think everything should be unionized?

Ask GM and Chrysler how that worked out for them.

Really? - As opposed to believing your holier than thou proselytizing? Contrary to your belief this issue is much more complicated than you would have us believe or think. There are far more legitimate issues and reasonable beliefs than just yours. I hope you haven't hurt your back in congratulating yourself with your superiority. Your arrogance is something to behold.:rolleyes:

I believe in small business, big business, and labor. All should have a seat at the table, and all are important to the economy as a whole. I also believe all three have their problems because they're run by people. The typical problems for these three come from accumulated wealth and power. Left unchecked greed takes over, and then business or labor becomes too dominant.

You're simply an ideologue who doesn't know any better than to blame an organization instead of blaming the people who run it or blaming the lawmakers who allow said organization to run amok. I feel sorry for you because you've been sold a lie, and you're not smart enough to know it.

So you think everything should be unionized?

Ask GM and Chrysler how that worked out for them.

I don't think you have an honest clue as to what you're talking about other than some partisan meme that you agree with. The world is complicated young one.

Simple answers for simple minds.

Top Bottom