Billy Turner said his goal was to "beat the sh!t out of the Gophers, which we did"

Stan

Reaction score
Billy Turner said his goal was to "beat the sh!t out of the Gophers, which we did"

His comments on the Gophers start at the .30 second mark

Yes, and Trevor Berbick defeated a declining, not-as-his-best, shell-of-himself, Muhammad Ali late in Ali's career.

An asterisk, my friends.

An asterisk.

Who is Billy Turner?

I think that is what NFL scouts are saying. That is what FBS recruiters were saying as well. Jokes aside, I think he could have said he was overlooked a little better. The way he did it IMO is not exactly cool. Not when future bosses are looking for anyway to get you at a later round or look at you as a free agent.

BTW Was he offered an opportunity to walk on? Did his HS coaches ever send out film on him? Many players don't get that H.S. Coaches sometimes can be the worst "advocate".

Tim Brewster had many faults, but it seemed like he saw offensive linemen as an afterthought, and that might have been his biggest fault.

I think that is what NFL scouts are saying. That is what FBS recruiters were saying as well. Jokes aside, I think he could have said he was overlooked a little better. The way he did it IMO is not exactly cool. Not when future bosses are looking for anyway to get you at a later round or look at you as a free agent.

BTW Was he offered an opportunity to walk on? Did his HS coaches ever send out film on him? Many players don't get that H.S. Coaches sometimes can be the worst "advocate".

There were red flags with Turner, he wasn't offered by anyone else either for several reasons. To their credit his coaches lit a fire under him at NDSU, likely the gophers spurning him did too. He dominated at the D2 level, yay!
He would have played here, I doubt he would have beaten out Ed Olson at LT had Ed stayed healthy, but could have played other places on the line for us.
Attitude means plenty for future employers, I doubt the NFL front office is going to give a crap whether he won a second rate championship in college or pancaked a 210 lb D2 d-end. They'll judge him on his attitude, talent, and work ethic wherever he ends up.

There were red flags with Turner, he wasn't offered by anyone else either for several reasons. To their credit his coaches lit a fire under him at NDSU, likely the gophers spurning him did too. He dominated at the D2 level, yay!
He would have played here, I doubt he would have beaten out Ed Olson at LT had Ed stayed healthy, but could have played other places on the line for us.
Attitude means plenty for future employers, I doubt the NFL front office is going to give a crap whether he won a second rate championship in college or pancaked a 210 lb D2 d-end. They'll judge him on his attitude, talent, and work ethic wherever he ends up.

This.

In all honesty, this is one of the dumbest interviews/comments I've seen in awhile.

He had knee injuries in HS which obviously were fixed just fine. Billy would have started here for four years and Ed would have had zero chance of playing in front of him. I'm not saying Billy would have been All Big Ten, but he would have been a signficant upgrade over what we rolled out at LT.

It will be interesting to watch Turner pursue his goal. He seems very motivated, focused and confident to show people that he can play with the big boys in spite of playing at a lower level. I bet he makes it.

His comment about beating the Gophers should not surprise anyone. The Bison and Turner earned their right to brag. I would do the same if I was in his position but in a different context.

He had knee injuries in HS which obviously were fixed just fine. Billy would have started here for four years and Ed would have had zero chance of playing in front of him. I'm not saying Billy would have been All Big Ten, but he would have been a signficant upgrade over what we rolled out at LT.

This. Only I'd change the zero chance to 20%.

There are no guarantees in college football recruiting.
He may have come here and flamed out for all we know. He may have been in Gjere's spot at RT against Michigan in 2011 and received a blow to the head like Gjere did.

He certainly proved most naysayers wrong the way he developed at NDSU, but that doesn't change the fact there were faults in his resume' going into the recruiting process. I saw him play plenty in HS and he was a different player than the one we are discussing here as a surefire 4 year starter for a B1G school.
Just saying there's more to all of this than just another miss by Brewster's staff.

Nothing better than a little "LOOK AT ME" chest pounding. Congrats, Billy Turner. You're still not on that many people's radar.

Nothing better than a little "LOOK AT ME" chest pounding. Congrats, Billy Turner. You're still not on that many people's radar.

Unless you're looking at draft analysis. Good for him and I wish him the best. He proved many wrong. He was projected the third best lineman in the state that year and played quarterback prior to his sophomore year. There were far more durability questions on Gjere and the Henderson questions were well documented.

Yes, and Trevor Berbick defeated a declining, not-as-his-best, shell-of-himself, Muhammad Ali late in Ali's career.

An asterisk, my friends.

An asterisk.

I wouldn't call it an asterisk, it's not like we were at any real disadvantage out of our control, we just simply sucked that year. Both times they got us were probably our two worst teams in recent years. But I figure, that's all in the past, we have bigger fish to fry.

Gray shirt scholarship offer.

You know you are playing for a low-tier program when your goal is to "beat the sh!t" out of a bottom feeder from another conference.

Cool, dude. What are we supposed to do? Go back in time and make Tim Brewster recruit you harder? Move on.

I hardly blame the poor kid. He's just been infected by the pathological envy that courses through the veins of all North Dakotans.

You know you are playing for a low-tier program when your goal is to "beat the sh!t" out of a bottom feeder from another conference.

Let him have his moment. He probably wanted to be a Gopher and that didn't work out. Of course he is going to say this.
Move on everyone.

Once again, the immortal (and somewhat censored for Gopherhole) words of Nigel Tufnel ring true:

L|ck my l@ve p¥mp.

Top Bottom