Q&A: In-Coming Gophers LB Jonathan Celestin Says His Strength Is His Killer Instinct

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: In-Coming Gophers LB Jonathan Celestin Says His Strength Is His Killer Instinct

By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/378628?referrer_id=331171

Jonathan Celestin, a linebacker from Jonesboro (GA) Mundy's Mill, signed with Minnesota in February and will join high school teammate Rodney Smith in Dinkytown this summer.

Celestin helped lead Mundy's Mill to an 8-5 mark, losing to Gainesville 42-28 in the third round of the Class AAAAA playoffs.

Gopher Hole caught up with Celestin to learn the latest on his expectations for the upcoming season.

Gopher Hole: You signed with Minnesota two months ago. How are you feeling about Minnesota right now?

Jonathan Celestin: It feels great knowing that I am going to play on the Division I level in the Big Ten.

Gopher Hole: You have your high school teammate, Rodney Smith, who is also a good friend of yours, coming to Minnesota with you. Do you think that will help having someone you know so well help with the adjustment to a new state?

Jonathan Celestin: Yes, it is going to help a lot because I know that he will keep me on straight and I'll keep him on straight.

Gopher Hole: Have you two been talking about coming up to Minnesota a lot?

Jonathan Celestin: Yes. We talked about it every day when we are working out and everything. We always talk about going up to Minnesota.

Gopher Hole: What things have you been really working on to get ready to come up here in June?

Jonathan Celestin: I have been working on my speed, strength and explosion.

Gopher Hole: What have the Gopher coaches been saying to you about possibly redshirting or playing as a freshman?

Jonathan Celestin: They told me that there is a strong possibility of playing. It all depends on how I play in the summertime.

Gopher Hole: Does that make you want to work even harder to hopefully be on the field next fall?

Jonathan Celestin: Yes. It really does.

Gopher Hole: When you came up for your visit was that the first time you had ever been to Minnesota?

Jonathan Celestin: Yes. It was the first time I had ever been there.

Gopher Hole: What were your impressions of Minnesota?

Jonathan Celestin: I really liked it. I was shocked. It wasn't as cold as everyone made it seemed.

Gopher Hole: What all did you get a chance to see and do?

Jonathan Celestin: I went to the Mall of America and toured the whole campus.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought much about what you would like to major in at college?

Jonathan Celestin: Yes. Sports medicine.

Gopher Hole: What would you like to do with that down the road?

Jonathan Celestin: Physical therapist.

Gopher Hole: Have you had some injuries in the past that got you interested in that or how did you get involved in that area?

Jonathan Celestin: I like to help people recover and get stronger from injuries.

Gopher Hole: What are you up to height and weight-wise right now?

Jonathan Celestin: Height, right now, is 6-1 and 205.

Gopher Hole: What position are they looking at you playing? Is it mostly outside linebacker?

Jonathan Celestin: More the Will position (weakside linebacker).

Gopher Hole: That is kind of what you played in high school?

Jonathan Celestin: Yes. I played Will. I play all of them (linebacker positions).

Gopher Hole: Is that a position that you feel pretty comfortable with?

Jonathan Celestin: Yes sir. I feel really comfortable at the Will.

Gopher Hole: For fans who haven't seen much of you since you are from a different state, what would you say are your strengths as a football player?

Jonathan Celestin: My killer instinct. The way I get to the ball. My reaction time and my hitting.

Gopher Hole: What about Rodney. How would you describe him to Gopher fans who have not seen him play before?

Jonathan Celestin: He is a powerful and fast back. He is both and he is always going to finish the run.

Gopher Hole: When you told your friends and family that you were going to Minnesota, what was the reaction? Did they know much about Minnesota?

Jonathan Celestin: No. They knew that they were in the Big Ten and they were really excited for us.

Top Bottom