An estimated 117 people attended Georgia Tech's Spring Game (picture)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the link:

117? That’s the number that’s been floating around social media in terms of fans that attended the Georgia Tech spring game on Friday night. 117! In contrast, the population of the city of Atlanta (Georgia Tech’s home) is over 400,000 and the Atlanta metro area has over six million people. Six million people! If we are to believe social media, only 117 of those six million showed up for Georgia Tech’s spring game on Friday night.

http://bloguin.com/crystalballrun/2014-articles/117-fans-attended-georgia-techs-spring-game.html

Go Gophers!!

I think a Friday night spring game is a bad idea. Sounds like the one year novelty of it was good, but might need to go back to the typical Saturday.

I thought it wasn't tough to get fans to come to college games in a major market if you're a winning team? That's what I constantly read on this board. "Just win, and they will come." "The Vikings/other pro sports have no effect on fans, it's all about winning."

Ga. Tech had one sellout last year at home...against Georgia. Their stadium capacity is only 55,000, so it's not like they're trying to sell out the big house - their stadium is only slightly larger than ours. This is a team with tradition too. In the five years previous to 2013 the team averaged eight wins per year, had tied for or won three coastal division titles, advanced to a bowl game every season, and played in a BCS game. Oh, they've also won a national championship in the last 25 years.

I thought it wasn't tough to get fans to come to college games in a major market if you're a winning team? That's what I constantly read on this board. "Just win, and they will come." "The Vikings/other pro sports have no effect on fans, it's all about winning."

Ga. Tech had one sellout last year at home...against Georgia. Their stadium capacity is only 55,000, so it's not like they're trying to sell out the big house - their stadium is only slightly larger than ours. This is a team with tradition too. In the five years previous to 2013 the team averaged eight wins per year, had tied for or won three coastal division titles, advanced to a bowl game every season, and played in a BCS game. Oh, they've also won a national championship in the last 25 years.

Wouldn't most football fans in the city of Atlanta and the state of Georgia be Georgia Bulldog fans? Honest question...only ever been in the atlanta airport.

Looks like "a rainy (and miserable) night in Georgia." It appears that there are some people at the top of the lower deck who are trying to stay out of the rain by being under the overhang.

I saw somewhere that the 117 number was a joke and that is closer to 2,000. I guess the weather was terrible so most the fans hung around in the concourse.

Georgia Tech was 7-6 last year and 5-6 in "real" games as they had wins over Elon and Alabama A&M. The year prior they were 7-7 with a win over Presbyterian and a 21 point home loss to Middle Tennessee State. In 2011 they were 8-5 and in 2010 they were 6-7. 2009 was their big year going 11-3. The biggest difference between Georgia Tech and typical Minnesota seasons (excluding the obvious 2009 season for the Yellow Jackets) is that Georgia Tech has been winning conference games (.500 or better each year). Both are losing all the time to their biggest rival and both are going to bad "bowl" games and often losing them. Tech fans haven't had a lot to be excited by post 2009. In comparison to Minnesota, they've had a great program over the past X number of years, but 4 consecutive years without being relevant is a long time for schools that want to draw big crowds.

Georgia Tech was 7-6 last year and 5-6 in "real" games as they had wins over Elon and Alabama A&M. The year prior they were 7-7 with a win over Presbyterian and a 21 point home loss to Middle Tennessee State. In 2011 they were 8-5 and in 2010 they were 6-7. 2009 was their big year going 11-3. The biggest difference between Georgia Tech and typical Minnesota seasons (excluding the obvious 2009 season for the Yellow Jackets) is that Georgia Tech has been winning conference games (.500 or better each year). Both are losing all the time to their biggest rival and both are going to bad "bowl" games and often losing them. Tech fans haven't had a lot to be excited by post 2009. In comparison to Minnesota, they've had a great program over the past X number of years, but 4 consecutive years without being relevant is a long time for schools that want to draw big crowds.

Option football continues to implode. Worked great in the first year when Tech had outstanding athletes and no one was ready for it. The ACC has caught on and Tech's talent level has fallen a tick. At this pace, the experiment will be over soon.

Top Bottom