Votes: 3 9.1%
  • More than 55%

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rescooter

Section 243
Reaction score
In 2014, Coach Kill has stated he wants to see a more effective passing game. It certainly seems that way as emphasis in recruiting has leaned toward receivers and tight ends. We all saw the Spring Scrimmage and walked away a bit confused as to whether this was really the direction Kill is going or if he is holding his cards tight and we'll see our Gophers air it out. I though it would be interesting to gauge the fan opinion on this issue. We've got another year for our current receiving corp plus some potential game changers coming in balanced off with our stable of running backs - with power, speed, moves; you name it. Before we get going with the poll, here's where we've been:

Year.....Total Yards......Passing Yards......Passing Yards % of Total
2011......3724.................1804..................48%
2012......4178.................2203..................53%
2013......4463.................1925..................43%

I was surprised to see we had 43% last year. If i would have guessed I would have guessed somewhere between 35-40% but definitely not over 40... I still said 45-50%. I hoping Edwards hits lots of home runs with his legs and with lots of leads we won't need to pass!

I know I'm in the minority, but if they pass for 1000 and run for more than 3000, I'd be happy with that.

You can probably expect some of Berklee's home runs to be on passes.

I know I'm in the minority, but if they pass for 1000 and run for more than 3000, I'd be happy with that.

Yes, as long as they win, I'm fine with lack of "style points". The concern I have with a one-dimensional offense is when the opposition routinely puts 8 in the box. It's tough on our O-Line and Backs. I really would like to see something closer to 50/50 since we're not 3 deep in all the line-positions.

I'd love to see 8 in the box all the time. We will destroy those teams.

I only expect us to throw 35% of the time but the YPA will be fairly high resulting in, 50 to 55% of total yardage being through the air. I'm expecting the average to be pumped up by completions to the backs and tight ends with a good YAC average, the wide outs will be average. I also expect Leidner to be about a 60 to 63% passer.

I said 45-50%. Thinking closer to 45% though as I still believe we will be run heavy in the non-conference schedule.

Since 2007 we average in the lowish 4000s in total yardage.

We have not ranked above 9th in the conference in total offense since 2007 (6th that year). The offense has had a stretch of mediocrity that should strains the mind.

I think both the rushing and passing numbers escalate this year. I can imagine close to 3000 yards rushing and 2500 yards passing.

Delusional? No, I think we take a big step forward this year. The pieces are in place. If leidner.streveler can get some chemistry going with the TE and WR corp we could surpass those numbers.

More than the percentage, more than the yards the most important stat no one keeps is timely plays made in the passing game. Completing a pass when you have to. A pass play completion that turns the momentum(see last years Nebraska game). But more than percentage of yards, percentage of completions. Who was the last Minnesota QB to complete 60% of his throws in a season? That is what is needed. If you throw 20 times you need to complete more than 12. And maybe 3 or 4 are those plays that can win a game.

The math is straight forward, the average per rush should be between 4 and 4.5, I expect the passing percentage to be in the mid 30's, choosing the higher yards per rush and using 1/3 as the percentage of passing versus rushing you need to average nine yards per attempt to get a 50/50 split. Liedner completed 55% of his passes last year I expect that to increase to at least 60%. nine divided by .6 gives you 15 yards per completion. None of those numbers are daunting I think we hit them and have a pretty good season. If we don't hit them we're a one dimensional team and will have problems.

Jones and W were raw Freshmen last year. Leidner a Freshman QB and Williams a Freshman TE. There will be huge improvement just as a result of the experience.

Factor an improved OL and RB corps and the O will be greatly improved.

It is that obvious. Besides, the ball is starting to bounce our way once in a while.

Someone seriously thinks we will pass for only 1,000 yards?

Top Bottom