Timberwolves/Hoiberg Watch Thread

Another thing to consider: ISU would gladly take him back if he flamed out in the NBA.

Agreed plenty of colleges would take him, and he could use being a former NBA coach as a tool in recruiting, works for coach Cal, even before he was at UK. Now that i think of it I could see UK making a push at Hoiberg whenever Cal leaves

Because he's in Ames. 5-6 mill a year for 3 years is absolute security. All you have to do here with the Twolves is make the playoffs and you'd be sainted.

Both Flip and Fred no that's not true. I'd say there's about a 20% chance he takes the job. It's true he can make more in 3 years with the wolves than 6 with ISU. But he can have that job forever if he wants it.

Money does not matter here. The guy played in the NBA for 10 years. He's going to take the gig that offers his family stability and that is in Ames.....

NBA is a total crap shoot in a medium Midwest market.

Nor do I think would be a good fit. Has never coached in the league. Supposedly Flip helped him get strategies in place at Iowa St., so in that sense he would be an extension of the G.M., but why he leave the absolute security and hero worship in Ames?
Flip had never been an NBA coach when the Wolves hired him, just like ISU was Hoiberg's first college job

Under no circumstance should the wolves hire a good coach. If that coach wins a couple nba titles, the lakers would hire him away.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rick Adelman to announce his retirement.Wolves have eyes on Fred Hoiberg, Tom Izzo & Stan Van Gundy,source said. <a href="https://twitter.com/JerryZgoda">@JerryZgoda</a> 1st broke story</p>— Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) <a href="https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/statuses/458252089529884672">April 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Money does not matter here. The guy played in the NBA for 10 years. He's going to take the gig that offers his family stability and that is in Ames.....

NBA is a total crap shoot in a medium Midwest market.

if money is not a factor than why worry about stability? He is already loaded as you say, and he'd have more free time to spend with his family in the NBA not having to deal with recruiting, and he'd get more money in Minnesota in 3 years as he would in 6-7 at Ames with less work. Also its been pointed out already he'd have no problem getting another college gig, even a blue bloods would call if they are available, and I'd see ISU calling if he is available because I doubt any other coach that they can get there would have them where they are now with Fred. Fred also will not get any better stability in the NBA from any other team than the wolves, his relationship with the front office will give him much longer leash, just ask Kevin Mchale who wasn't let go until years after he should have. To me this is low risk, high reward situation.

Billy Donovan? That would be a left field hire, but keep Pitino around...

Marc Stein:

Billy Donovan is the hot new name to emerge as an inevitable target in the coaching search that officially began Monday for the Minnesota Timberwolves.

NBA coaching sources told ESPN.com that the Wolves have Donovan prominent in their thoughts as they compile a list of potential successors to the retiring Rick Adelman that -- as covered here in March -- already includes college titans Tom Izzo and Fred Hoiberg.

The challenge, of course, in pursuing any of those three is convincing one of them to leave their veritable college kingdoms to take over an NBA team whose franchise player has only a year to go on his contract.

The coach Minnesota ultimately hires is supposed to help the Wolves sway Kevin Love to stay. But how do you convince the likes of Donovan to leave Florida -- or a full-fledged emperor like Izzo at Michigan State -- to make the jump to the NBA without assurances that Love will stick around for the long haul?

Wolves president of basketball operations and minority owner Flip Saunders and Izzo are tight. Hoiberg is a former Wolves player and executive. They will surely listen when the call comes. And so, too, will Donovan. They will give the Wolves an opportunity, at the very least, to make a determined pitch.

There's every chance, though, that the Wolves will have to go a more traditional NBA route if they can't land a titan or if, as some coaching insiders have suggested, they feel they need someone more experienced on the bench than Hoiberg when the franchise is in such a precarious place in terms of Love's future.

With Saunders vowing to Minnesota-based reporters Monday that the search will be a lengthy one that's not necessarily wrapped up before the draft in June, that gives a number of coaches currently in the broadcasting ranks time to emerge as serious candidates. (Stan and Jeff Van Gundy, to date, are the names that have been mentioned most frequently.)

The other natural option is Saunders moving downstairs to coach the team himself. You'll recall that he's the last coach to take the Wolves to the playoffs, although, sadly, that was all the way back in 2004.

Yet signals continue to be mixed on whether Saunders is prepared to leave the executive suite to return to the bench or try to do both jobs. Ditto for the willingness of Wolves owner Glen Taylor to allow Saunders to do both.

The only certainty in 'Sota these days is that the Wolves are determined to do anything and everything they can muster to keep Love around for the long term.

Given that the Wolves sport the league's longest active playoff drought, it's no stretch to suggest that they still haven't recovered from Kevin Garnett's departure in July 2007. So you can understand why they can barely bring themselves to talk about what it would be like trying to recover from the loss of two Franchise Kevins.

And why the Wolves have to think as big as they can as the hunt for a new coach begins.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rick Adelman to announce his retirement.Wolves have eyes on Fred Hoiberg, Tom Izzo & Stan Van Gundy,source said. <a href="https://twitter.com/JerryZgoda">@JerryZgoda</a> 1st broke story</p>— Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) <a href="https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/statuses/458252089529884672">April 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

God, I hope Izzo takes the job. That would be 1) awesome as a Wolves fan, and 2) awesome as a Gophers fan.

And yes, I fall into the camp of "would rather win a lot of games against a weaker B1G".

Can't figure out why some already are poo-pooing the idea that Hoiberg would agree to coach the Wolves? Pretty short sighted reasoning. He might not, but I bet he is very interested for sure.

Can't figure out why some already are poo-pooing the idea that Hoiberg would agree to coach the Wolves? Pretty short sighted reasoning. He might not, but I bet he is very interested for sure.

Of course he is. Iowa State gave him another raise this Spring out of exactly that concern. (They weren't worried about him going to another college) Will he take the Wolves offer when it comes? Who knows? Taylor is going to be tossing some cash around- this team needs some positive press in a bad way.

This is going to be just as hilarious as that time when the Gophers tried to hire away Hoiberg and got stuck with some nobody that lead them to the CBI.

Hey Fred, would you rather chase 16 year olds around the country this summer or golf at Bear Path?

Do you want to take the family to Europe this July for a vacation or do you want to spend the month flying back and forth between Vegas and LA sitting in the front row just so you appear to be showing "love" to 17 year olds?

Go Gophers!!
Would you rather live in Ames or in Minneapolis?

God, I hope Izzo takes the job. That would be 1) awesome as a Wolves fan, and 2) awesome as a Gophers fan.

And yes, I fall into the camp of "would rather win a lot of games against a weaker B1G".

I think Hoiberg would be a better hire for both Minnesota teams. Hoiberg has more experience with the NBA game and should have little trouble with the transition. Izzo is a bright guy and I'm sure he'd pick it up quickly, but he has no experience with NBA strategy or managing NBA egos.

I also tend to think Hoiberg is a much greater threat to the Gophers than Izzo. Sure MSU has grabbed a few Minnesota targets over the years, but Hoiberg is making a run at a number of local players and having a good deal of success in piquing their interest. He could be there another 30 years. I can't imagine another coach in Ames that would have as much success recruiting in Minnesota.

This is going to be just as hilarious as that time when the Gophers tried to hire away Hoiberg.

Not really. Hoiberg had a very small connection with the Gophers (played pro ball in the same state). He has a much bigger connection with the NBA. It will all come down to whether he wants to be a college coach or a pro coach. My guess is he stays in Ames to see how good he can be, but we'll see. I'm sure he's conflicted.

Hoiberg is the dream hire, I would love to see Izzo too and I hope both guys get offered the job. BUT Chris Broussard tweeted that "A lot of league insiders think Flip might take over coaching the team himself. Personally I like Flip as a coach but I also liked what he did in year one as GM and if he can bring in a guy like Hoiberg or Izzo we could be onto something.

I think Hoiberg would be a better hire for both Minnesota teams. Hoiberg has more experience with the NBA game and should have little trouble with the transition. Izzo is a bright guy and I'm sure he'd pick it up quickly, but he has no experience with NBA strategy or managing NBA egos.

I also tend to think Hoiberg is a much greater threat to the Gophers than Izzo. Sure MSU has grabbed a few Minnesota targets over the years, but Hoiberg is making a run at a number of local players and having a good deal of success in piquing their interest. He could be there another 30 years. I can't imagine another coach in Ames that would have as much success recruiting in Minnesota.

Good points. God, I hope the Wolves hire Hoiberg.

Was that during the time in which the state of Minnesota produced three high level recruits and the only large in state university couldn't land a single one of them?

Careful now. Just ask SouthernMissFan what happens to folks that go about ruffling feathers around here...

This is going to be just as hilarious as that time when the Gophers tried to hire away Hoiberg and got stuck with some nobody that lead them to the CBI.

Come on you know damn well Hoiberg's agent used that to get his client a raise, you're a better troll than that.

There are just 30 head coaching jobs available in the best basketball league in the world. It's one of the most elite fraternities in coaching, so to say that Hoiberg wouldn't give serious consideration to one of the openings is ludicrous, especially for an organization and owner for which he formerly worked and, by every indication, had a great relationship..

Come on you know damn well Hoiberg's agent used that to get his client a raise, you're a better troll than that.

Hoiberg's agent doesn't have enough pull to force the University of Minnesota to offer a job to his client.

Did he use it to get Fred a raise? Maybe. I doubt it though, Hoiberg was getting one anyways.

We're all talking as if it's a given the Wolves want Hoiberg. It kind of sounds like he's not at the top of the list.

I hope they don't hire Donovan as it's likely to screw the Gophers. For those saying Florida wouldn't hire Richie, the last time Donovan (almost) went to the NBA, they were going to hire Anthony Grant from VCU. I think it's very likely he would be at the top of the list.

Top Bottom