Timberwolves/Hoiberg Watch Thread

Another thing to consider: ISU would gladly take him back if he flamed out in the NBA.

I've hear his wife wants their kids to go to school in the TC. If true, that is a big deal.

Wonder if a team like the Lakers would make a run at him.

The Lakers have no players. Their front office is incompetent and not on the same page. Other than money, glamour, prestige, climate...ha...that's presently a horrible job if you want to be successful.

Calapari is the perfect candidate for that job...but the last I heard they already have a coach?

The Lakers have no players. Their front office is incompetent and not on the same page. Other than money, glamour, prestige, climate...ha...that's presently a horrible job if you want to be successful.

Calapari is the perfect candidate for that job...but the last I heard they already have a coach?

It's the Lakers. You could argue it is the top coaching job on the planet. They have Kobe for a couple of more years, a lot of salary coming off the books, could be getting Melo, and a top lottery pick. You are crazy if you think that wouldn't be more attractive than the ISU job.

Billy Donovan now also being mentioned. I don't like the possibilities that could lead to. Wouldn't that be a kick in the nuts if the Wolves' hire had the direct consequence of the Gophers losing their coach.

It's the Lakers. You could argue it is the top coaching job on the planet. They have Kobe for a couple of more years, a lot of salary coming off the books, could be getting Melo, and a top lottery pick. You are crazy if you think that wouldn't be more attractive than the ISU job.

Are you suggesting Los Angeles to be a better place to live and work than Ames?!?!?!?!?

It is hard to turn down any job that would literally double your salary.

Would anyone here say no to a position that is a promotion doubling your current pay?

Not saying Fred would take it, but that's a LOT of money. Brad Stevens was a hero in Butler and had no problem jumping to the NBA. Money talks.

Yup, exactly. The other thing to consider is that if they fail in the NBA, they will have no trouble landing on their feet again at the college level, programs will be lined up for their services, better programs than ISU and Butler including blue bloods if there is an opening. Yes, Iowa State is Fred's hometown school, but lets not kid ourselves, he isn't successful there because of that, its because he is a good recruiter and coach, imagine what he could do at a program with better resources than Ames. He'll get over not being coach at his hometown school fairly easily when the recruits and and wins start coming.

I know this will have an impact down the line for ISU in recruiting, but I also expect a lot of current players and commits to leave, lets face it, they are't going there to live in ames, they are there for Fred, and who can blame them. The sky could be falling in Ames if Fred leaves

I've hear his wife wants their kids to go to school in the TC. If true, that is a big deal.

I highly doubt this. Fred's daughter and ISU football coach's son went to prom together. Hoiberg's daughter is one of the best players on her varsity team and his oldest son also played on the varsity basketball team as a freshman. If Hoiberg leaves I do not think it will because of the schools. I would guess if he stayed his kids being in high school and middle school in a place that has both set of grandparents are able to watch all his kids play every game may be a big reason.

If Fred gets offered the job he'll take it.

He can always go back to ISU and they'd fire anyone they have to get him, he's a god in Ames.

yeah, but if job security is a concern, you don't go there or other big market teams. If you have anything short of the success phil jackson had, people will be calling for your head. Also in the NBA, its different from the college game, where teams are looked at pretty evenly across the board by coaches, thats why you don't see coaches jumping from team to team often like you do at the college game. At the end of the day the lakers have to deal with the same salary cap as the twolves, have to draft from the same pool as the twolves, and what not. Lakers may have a slight advantage in getting free agents, but the players will go where the money is, no matter the market, its only advantage if what they offer a player is equal to or more than what they get at another squad. Indiana, OKC, Spurs are all proof you don't have to be a big market to succeed in the NBA

yeah, but if job security is a concern, you don't go there or other big market teams. If you have anything short of the success phil jackson had, people will be calling for your head. Also in the NBA, its different from the college game, where teams are looked at pretty evenly across the board by coaches, thats why you don't see coaches jumping from team to team often like you do at the college game. At the end of the day the lakers have to deal with the same salary cap as the twolves, have to draft from the same pool as the twolves, and what not. Lakers may have a slight advantage in getting free agents, but the players will go where the money is, no matter the market, its only advantage if what they offer a player is equal to or more than what they get at another squad. Indiana, OKC, Spurs are all proof you don't have to be a big market to succeed in the NBA

Haha that is quite the homer post. The Lakers job will always be better than the Timberwolves job, sorry. It doesn't help that K-Love is eyeing an exit and possibly a route to L.A.

Haha that is quite the homer post. The Lakers job will always be better than the Timberwolves job, sorry. It doesn't help that K-Love is eyeing an exit and possibly a route to L.A.

Its better, not a Duke to Minnesota better. You don't see greg popvich trying to be a laker,you don't see any coach with an nba job trying to be the next coach there, and that is because a NBA job is a NBA job. And Until the Lakers actually have K-love, no coach is going to assume he is a Laker, CP3 was supposed to be a Laker, DWight Howard was supposed to be a Laker. If Kevin Love doesn't want to be here, The Twolves will trade him, and to the highest bidder, not to the lakers if they have nothing to offer, would Klove jump ship from a team like OKC playing along side Durant and his buddy Westbrook? He might not be a Twolf down the line, but Minnesota is more likely to have him on their roster than the Lakers

There are probably about 20 better NBA jobs better than the Twolves. But Fred doesn't have as many ties to those places and does Fred want to raise kids in LA? Possibly, but I sure wouldn't think so.

I can see it now, Fred accepts Twolves job and Pitino gets linked to ISU job.

No matter what happens, the Lakers job is better than the Timberwolves. That's all I'm saying.

Not to get to NBA here, but unless the job pressure is a huge concern for a coach, you're exactly right.

The Lakers are worth at least $2 billion. A company with that worth will typically be a pretty good one to work for. The Lakers will spend whatever it takes to win. And that includes for a coaches salary.

You don't take the Twins job over the Yankees one.

Hoiberg might be the one guy that would take the twolves job over the lakers just based on his ties to the team.

Not to get to NBA here, but unless the job pressure is a huge concern for a coach, you're exactly right.

The Lakers are worth at least $2 billion. A company with that worth will typically be a pretty good one to work for. The Lakers will spend whatever it takes to win. And that includes for a coaches salary.

You don't take the Twins job over the Yankees one.

Why do people believe this? They can not spent whatever they want, just look at their roster right now, they have a ton of money tied up on Nash and pau and in result can't sign other players, there are salary restrictions for all teams, doesn't matter what the franchise is worth, its not like mlb, if they can spend any money they want they'd have every super star in the NBA

Sent from my LIFE PLAY using Tapatalk

Why do people believe this? They can not spent whatever they want, just look at their roster right now, they have a ton of money tied up on Nash and pau and in result can't sign other players, there are salary restrictions for all teams, doesn't matter what the franchise is worth, its not like mlb, if they can spend any money they want they'd have every super star in the NBA

Not sure about Nash, but I'm pretty sure Pau is an expiring this year (hence their ability to go after Melo). And the NBA still has a soft cap, meaning a team can spend whatever they want (re-signing their own guys or possibly trading for players) they just have to pay a steeper fine once they hit luxury tax threshold.

Yeah, the issue isn't the fact that the Lakers are willing to spend what it takes. The issue is flat out, free agents don't yearn to go to Minnesota. We HAVE to draft our roster, we're not gonna land the max free agents, that's just reality. Lakers land those max free agents. That is what makes that job more appealing. BUT, at the same time, if you draft well, the playing field is pretty level, and it's how the Spurs have done it all these years. They don't land big time free agents, their best players are all their draft picks.

The Wolves can be just as good as any franchise in the NBA, but the way they get there is a bit tougher. With our draft history, it's not hard to see why we've sucked so many years of our existence. It's really that simple.

Yeah, the issue isn't the fact that the Lakers are willing to spend what it takes. The issue is flat out, free agents don't yearn to go to Minnesota. We HAVE to draft our roster, we're not gonna land the max free agents, that's just reality. Lakers land those max free agents. That is what makes that job more appealing. BUT, at the same time, if you draft well, the playing field is pretty level, and it's how the Spurs have done it all these years. They don't land big time free agents, their best players are all their draft picks.

The Wolves can be just as good as any franchise in the NBA, but the way they get there is a bit tougher. With our draft history, it's not hard to see why we've sucked so many years of our existence. It's really that simple.

Yup well said, teams like the twolves have to overpay for their players. But its about making the right decisions, I mean look at the lakers or Knicks right now, nuggets were a much better team after they traded melo, suns got a steal in the Nash trade to Lakers. Players will want to sign with you if you are contender, if Fred does that, he won't gave trouble getting free agents, It may be a little harder road, but there things in place to help out smaller market teams such as being able to spent more and give an extra year to retain your players, big market teams don't have free will like a lot of people trying to make it out to be on here. Its a lot easier road to take a bucks team and make them relevant than it is to take Iowa state team

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Nor do I think would be a good fit. Has never coached in the league. Supposedly Flip helped him get strategies in place at Iowa St., so in that sense he would be an extension of the G.M., but why he leave the absolute security and hero worship in Ames?

Nor do I think would be a good fit. Has never coached in the league. Supposedly Flip helped him get strategies in place at Iowa St., so in that sense he would be an extension of the G.M., but why he leave the absolute security and hero worship in Ames?

Because he's in Ames. 5-6 mill a year for 3 years is absolute security. All you have to do here with the Twolves is make the playoffs and you'd be sainted.

To give it a shot at the highest level, in a place where he'd likely be the most comfortable, with people he is familiar with, and also make a bunch of money in the process. And let's face it, if he falls flat on his face, as has been noted already, they'd likely welcome him back to Ames. They'd be hurt at first, but trust, they would welcome him back with open arms if he wanted.

In all honesty, I don't think it'll happen. But there are numerous reasons why it would.

Because he's in Ames. 5-6 mill a year for 3 years is absolute security. All you have to do here with the Twolves is make the playoffs and you'd be sainted.

Exactly. And in Ames, if you get bombed and hit on students, it's frowned upon???

Look. I will happily eat crow, but I don't buy the relationships making him take this job for a second. He can love everybody in the front office. It doesn't mean he would take a job that he is doomed to fail at.

In the end it will come down to dollars, Idk the average NBA coaching salary, but maybe an offer in the 4 to 4.5 million a year range would grab his attention

Top Bottom