Timberwolves/Hoiberg Watch Thread

Sounds like Izzo and Flip are good buddies. If the Wolves land Izzo, does Tum Tum ask out of his LOI?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Michigan State coach Tom Izzo at <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23B1GMediaday&src=hash">#B1GMediaday</a>: "I love Flip (Saunders). He's the best." <a href="http://t.co/dqdNkKJ9ap">http://t.co/dqdNkKJ9ap</a></p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/458396245678362625">April 22, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hoiberg's agent doesn't have enough pull to force the University of Minnesota to offer a job to his client.

Did he use it to get Fred a raise? Maybe. I doubt it though, Hoiberg was getting one anyways.

You do realize how agents are paid, right?

Hoiberg's agent doesn't have enough pull to force the University of Minnesota to offer a job to his client.

Did he use it to get Fred a raise? Maybe. I doubt it though, Hoiberg was getting one anyways.

You're an idiot agents take openings act like their client is interested and bluff the employer to give them a raise, which you would clearly know if you weren't retarded

We're all talking as if it's a given the Wolves want Hoiberg. It kind of sounds like he's not at the top of the list.

I honestly think Flip doesn't want to find the "right" guy so he can take the job himself. Thought that from the moment he took the GM job.

It would be fun to see Hoiberg interviewed just to watch all those dumb Iowans squirm, but an NBA team wanting to hire a college coach with no NBA head coaching experience is a very rare event and so very unlikely to happen regardless of the connections.

I honestly think Flip doesn't want to find the "right" guy so he can take the job himself. Thought that from the moment he took the GM job.

It would be fun to see Hoiberg interviewed just to watch all those dumb Iowans squirm, but an NBA team wanting to hire a college coach with no NBA head coaching experience is a very rare event and so very unlikely to happen regardless of the connections.

Um, this is the team that hired David Kahn.

We're all talking as if it's a given the Wolves want Hoiberg. It kind of sounds like he's not at the top of the list.

Who made this list ? The same person who made Norwood's short list for the women's job that didn't include Stollings ?

FWIW: Let's stop and consider this:

Maybe, coaching ISU is Hoiberg's dream job. Maybe, he's already doing what he wants to do. Maybe, being the most popular person in his home town - having the family there, etc, is what he wants to do.

Why leave that to coach an NBA team that has been a chronic underachiever, with a fickle fan base, in front of a group of media members who live to ridicule and criticize?

I put the chances of Hoiberg going to the Wolves at 5% tops - and that is only if they give him a ridiculous salary and a guarantee that he will not be fired for at least 5 years.

My gut tells me that if Flip does not wind up taking the Wolves job, they will hire a retread like one of the Van Gundy boys.

I would like to see us go after Lionel Hollins. He had some good years with Memphis. Doubt it will happen though because I haven't heard his name mentioned once for being a candidate

Maybe, coaching ISU is Hoiberg's dream job. Maybe, he's already doing what he wants to do. Maybe, being the most popular person in his home town - having the family there, etc, is what he wants to do.

Why leave that to coach an NBA team that has been a chronic underachiever, with a fickle fan base, in front of a group of media members who live to ridicule and criticize?

I put the chances of Hoiberg going to the Wolves at 5% tops - and that is only if they give him a ridiculous salary and a guarantee that he will not be fired for at least 5 years.

My gut tells me that if Flip does not wind up taking the Wolves job, they will hire a retread like one of the Van Gundy boys.

Why leave the college ranks for the pros? Some coaches talk about the grind of recruiting and having to be everywhere all the time watching basketball in Podunk HS gyms and how it can be exhausting and the absence of that was the allure of moving to the pro ranks.

Put me in the conspiracy group. I'm not sure Glen Taylor would like Flip to coach the team right now. Therefore I can see the hire being someone who could easily fail and Flip gets the opportunity to take over for him because he convinces Glen he can salvage things. "Remember Glen you thought ________ would be a great hire. Well, it's not working. I can fix this." Or he offers the job to 10 guys he knows won't take it and then goes to Glen.

Not that I want Flip as our coach, but wasn't he the one that actually got us to the playoffs 10 years ago? Just saying

I don't have a problem with Flip as a coach, or as a GM, but I do have one with him pulling double duty, there's no way he would have the time to be good at both, doing both would take away effort from both positions, in the end the wolves will be mediocre at best if Flip tries to pull off both. Of course mediocre could be considered the good old days with that franchise

Tweeted by guy from Pioneer Press:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Twolves&src=hash">#Twolves</a> president Flip Saunders ruled out Fred Hoiberg as candidate for the coaching vacancy. "That's not happening," Saunders said.</p>— Andy Greder (@twolvesnow) <a href="https://twitter.com/twolvesnow/statuses/458345786104090624">April 21, 2014</a></blockquote>

So Fred is out.

Ya that's what it is. FLIP said "no" to Hoiberg. Got it. Okay.

Mmmhmmm...

That's a knee slapper.

While I wouldn't put money on it, it's not completely absurd. Flip picks Izzo up at the airport when he comes into town. They have a pretty good friendship, it seems. I actually hope it doesn't happen. I like Izzo at Michigan State.

I've seen Donovan mentioned as a possibility for the Wolves, that might actually put Pitino on the Auction block with a very realistic possibility that he could leave, I'm sure he wouldn't give a second thought of turning it down if Florida offered.

I've seen Donovan mentioned as a possibility for the Wolves, that might actually put Pitino on the Auction block with a very realistic possibility that he could leave, I'm sure he wouldn't give a second thought of turning it down if Florida offered.

I think Florida would have their sights higher than Pitino, that might be one where Shaka actually picks up the phone, I don't think Pitino would be on the first list.

I think Florida would have their sights higher than Pitino, that might be one where Shaka actually picks up the phone, I don't think Pitino would be on the first list.

As somebody else said on this board (Madtown?), if Donovan leaves, it would be better now than later. Pitino had a nice year this year, but he is still a little bit of an unproven commodity for a job like Florida.

Would only help us in recruiting if Donavon goes to the Wolves and Pitino stays

As somebody else said on this board (Madtown?), if Donovan leaves, it would be better now than later. Pitino had a nice year this year, but he is still a little bit of an unproven commodity for a job like Florida.
1. I haven't seen Flip mention Donovan. He said he wants an experienced NBA coach. 2. Now might be better versus forward but Pitino did coach there and they would feel confident he'd stay for a long time. 3. I'd hire Pitino over Shaka. 4 Does Donovan want to coach in the NBA? If he did, and I were him I'm probably not living in MN after being accustomed to Florida. I'd hold out for a warmer climate. Wasn't it the NBA in Florida he was hired for and came crawling back? 5 Let's hope Donovan retires at Florida in about 30 years.

Do we re-open this watch now that the Lakers job is available?

Interesting. Simmons is very plugged in to the NBA, I wouldn't be surprised if this happened.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I feel good about this prediction: Thibs becomes this summer's Doc (traded for a future 1st round pick), then Chicago hires Fred Hoiberg.</p>— Bill Simmons (@BillSimmons) <a href="https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/statuses/461948265261318144">May 1, 2014</a></blockquote>

Top Bottom