Full Recap of Jerry Kill's Interview on WCCO Sports Huddle: 4/20/14

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I'm not DL65, but here is a recap of Jerry Kill's interview on WCCO today. It's not verbatim, but it's close:

Jerry Klil on what’s going on now…All the coaches are on the road now. They all are going out on Monday.

Jerry Kill on what coaches can do with players during the offseason…Right now the kids are lifting and running. This summer is the first time that football has changed, where we can now have two hours a week in the film room with the kids. We can also go to the weight workouts which we couldn’t do before. Football and basketball are different.

Jerry Kill on most improved players during Spring…There are several kids. I really feel like to single out one kid is hard to do as a lot of kids improved. Jonah Pirsig is one I’m excited about. He’s healthy and had a good spring. He stood out because he had an opportunity. Duke Anyanwu from Blaine really stood out on the offensive side of the ball. Those are just two guys who stepped out. On the defensive side we definitely need some help. Rayfield Dixon did a really nice job. We like what he did. Demarius Travis was a totally different kid this spring. He got focused in and did a heck of a job at safety. Those four kids really did a good job.

Jerry Kill on the health of the players…17 didn’t play in the scrimmage. We expect everyone back. The biggest question mark is the smaller group. Cody tore his ACL. He’s a hard working young man and his goal is to get back by the Big Ten schedule but we’ll have to be careful. Caleb Bak with his concussion, we’ll just have to see.

Jerry Kill on the freshman class…We were able to redshirt a lot of kids but we’re excited about that class. We’re also excited about the class coming in. Athletic ability and size and talent is high but we still have to see it on the field. The third recruiting class is critical and we think its better than last years.

Jerry Kill on 2014 recruiting…Right now we are done recruiting, well you’re never done recruiting, you never say no. Right now our concentration is on juniors and sophomores. Our big deal is to get the kids from Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin over to camps this summer. The other areas of the country that have spring practices we’ll get out there. This summer we have to do a great job of evaluating at camps.

Jerry Kill on getting kids on campus…
We start summer school on June 7 and some high school kids don’t graduate until June 12. It’s not easy but our kids are really good about handling the transition. It’s a time when you gotta do a good job to make sure those kids get comfortable. I couldn’t imagine being on a big campus like the University of Minnesota having been in high school a few days earlier.

Jerry Kill on Gophers schedule…We have a tough schedule, one of the toughest in the Big Ten. But that’s our job. We were able to beat Nebraska and Penn State and we have to be able to do that. The more competitive our schedule the more competitive we’ll have to be. We’ll have a better football team next year. We’ll have to step it up.

Go Gophers!!

You suck. DL does it better.

Seriously, thanks Bleed.

Being second best to DL65 is no insult - thanks so much for stepping in. Great work!

I think you did a great job! I'm putting your name into Dr. Don for a bonus. :) Thanks for filling in.

Thanks Bleed. Not only for the Summary, but the timely links as well. I feel much better after getting my weekly Gopher fix.

Thanks Bleed. I have notified Admin to give you an extra Easter egg today, a Cadbury one at that!

Thanks Bleed. Much appreciated.

Thanks Bleed. I have notified Admin to give you an extra Easter egg today, a Cadbury one at that!

Not Admin, Doc, this should come out of your pension since you allowed DL to take the day off.

I moped around all morning since I missed the first 5 minutes. Then I discover this jewel. Thnx so much

;)Reading today's summary I couldn't help thinking about the importance of depth in football. It is nice to see that we have here at the GopherHole As Jerry Kill would say next man up!

Year 5=Magical Year as JK said mant moons ago.

Bleed...Thanks for pinch hitting. Nice job and much appreciated by us out or towners.

I'm not DL65, but here is a recap of Jerry Kill's interview on WCCO today. It's not verbatim, but it's close:

[
Jerry Kill on getting kids on campus…
We start summer school on June 7 and some high school kids don’t graduate until June 12. It’s not easy but our kids are really good about handling the transition. It’s a time when you gotta do a good job to make sure those kids get comfortable. I couldn’t imagine being on a big campus like the University of Minnesota having been in high school a few days earlier.

Go Gophers!!

Bleed did a really fine job so I am hesitant to correct him, but I believe after listening to the podcast the date summer school begins is June 17th, not June 7th.

Bleed did a really fine job so I am hesitant to correct him, but I believe after listening to the podcast the date summer school begins is June 17th, not June 7th.

Summer School begins the week of the 16th, but most of the athletes who are coming on campus will move into their living arrangements the 6th and 7th of June. That gives them a week to get acclimated before class begins. Obviously for those guys that don't graduate high school until the 12th, their window of time is shorter and thus, the reference Kill made.

It was during the Mason era I offered the idea that recruits would be better served by enrolling for summer school. Get the lay of the land, take a couple courses, get in on some summer conditioning, et al. I was roundly criticized that summer after you graduate is your last hurrah, and fall camp was the time to get with it. My how things have changed, for the better.

That gives them a week to get acclimated before class begins.

Yeah, I used to move in a week before school started too. Only I didn't call it "get acclimated", I called it "party". Good Times.

Thanks Bleed, looks like you spent some time in the film room.

Top Bottom