Q&A: Soph Tyler Johnson Hearing from Gophers as He Helps Put North HS Back on Map

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Sophomore Tyler Johnson Hearing from Gophers as He Helps Put North HS Back on Map
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/377919?referrer_id=331171

Tyler Johnson, a 6-2 sophomore from Minneapolis (MN) North, helped lead the D1 17-and-under AAU program to a win in the Comets Shootout this past weekend in St. Cloud.

Johnson averaged 19.6 points per game as a sophomore as he helped lead the Polars to a 19-11 mark, losing to Marantha 67-65 in the Section 4A finals. He scored in double figures in 29 of 30 games with 13 games of 20 or more points, including a season-best 33 points versus Minneapolis Southwest.

Gopher Hole recently caught up Johnson to learn the latest on his early recruitment and AAU season.

Gopher Hole: You won your first AAU tournament of the spring. How pleased were with how well you played this past weekend?

Tyler Johnson: It was pretty good. We did good on the defensive end and offensively and all-around, we just played very well.

Gopher Hole: How pleased were with your sophomore season at North?

Tyler Johnson: I was very proud. We were young. We are going to be back. We just have to come stronger and finish off better.

Gopher Hole: I know that you were a young team with a lot of sophomores. How many starters will you have back next year?

Tyler Johnson: We got all five.

Gopher Hole: What are the expectations for you next year?

Tyler Johnson: They are very high. We want to come out strong and win games by 15 at the start of the season and continue that through the end of the season.

Gopher Hole: I know that you were at one of the Gophers games this season. Which one were you at?

Tyler Johnson: The Penn State one and the Illinois one.

Gopher Hole: What was that experience like?

Tyler Johnson: I learned a lot. I learned that college basketball, you play physical. You've got to play through every call, even though you might not get it. You have to play hard.

Gopher Hole: You are also a football player. Are you going to any football camps this summer or is that going to be hard with your basketball schedule?

Tyler Johnson: I have got a few camps that I am going to this spring and summer. One is coming in the early start of May. It is the Rivals in Chicago.

Gopher Hole: Are you going to any individual college camps this summer do you know?

Tyler Johnson: Not yet.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought about what sports you might try to play in college?

Tyler Johnson: I haven't thought about it just yet. I am going to decide my senior year.

Gopher Hole: What do you see as your strengths as a basketball player?

Tyler Johnson: My strengths, I would have to say, I'm a good defender. I play hard. I play physical and I never give up.

Gopher Hole: What things are you continuing to work on to improve yourself as a player?

Tyler Johnson: My catch and shoot. If I can get that, I'll be a dominant shooter. My ball handling skills, I need to work on that and just my conditioning.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to have the opportunity to play Division I football or basketball?

Tyler Johnson: It would mean a lot. It would mean that I still have to work hard. I have got to do everything. I have to stay with the books.

Gopher Hole: Do you have a favorite sport or does it depend on what time of the year it is?

Tyler Johnson: It depends on what time of the year it is. That is whenever I decided which sports I like more and it is always the one that I am playing now.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to maybe have a chance to play for the hometown school?

Tyler Johnson: It would mean a lot. My parents would be at every game. My little brother would be at every game. My friends that I go to high school will. It would be fun.

Great to see North making a comeback, I'd love to see more city kids on the gophers again

North HS is in North St. Paul :)

Sounds like the young man has his priorities in order. Good luck to him as he works to achieve his goals.

Top Bottom