Kendall Gregory-McGhee is suing the NCAA, SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac-12

Bring it all down and see what happens! Do education systems have ANY business running sports programs? On the college and university level? On the high school level? Perhaps it has become SO corrupt at EVERY level that the school systems and college and university systems should just focus on providing educations for all of their students. Perhaps football and basketball and all the non-revenue sports are distracting the schools from the challenges and the problems that they currently have actually teaching the children and young adults the basics of what they will need to earn a living.

Let the parents start worrying about the reading skills of their child rather than how much "love" the college coach will give their "gifted athletically...but...challenged academically four or five star high school fantasy football or basketball recruit..." Let the gambling industry, the professional sports franchise industry, the coaches, the administrators of the athletic departments, the fund-raising professionals who work for athletic departments, the ESPNs...the foxsportsnetworks and all the other programmers who rely on selling sports programming to the millions and millions of sports junkies worry about forming leagues and teams and kissing the butts of the athletes and parents of athletes that they will need to have their meal tickets punched and their lavish life styles provided for.

Maybe...just maybe, college sports have been exploited too much to possibly be saved.

At least, it appears some of the people on this board feel that the end is near and that having student athletes share in such basic facts of life as having concerns about their physical well-being, disability concerns with concussive disorders, having college football and college basketball coaches becoming too demanding and too dictating of their time, energy, and ability to BE a student by creating still more weight lifting, team meetings, film viewing sessions, all for the greater glory of their coaches futures in the coaching industry, ability to EARN those great incentives that the coaches have built into their contracts IF certain rankings are achieved, conference finishes are achieved, national championships are won, etc.

What the hell does any of this have to do with the basic charge of and purpose of a college...university...or even high school?

And since some of you people don't want the student athletes to have a seat at the table, I would say it is time to take the seats at the table away from the gambling industry, the coaching fraternity, the athletic administrators, the cable and television people and ALL THE REST of those people who so richly benefit from the people who play the games. This is a stinking business...a corrupt business. It has nothing to do with education OR games. It is all greed and all $$$$$ all of the time. Perhaps the feeding trough for the fat-cats...the "TABLE" so to speak must be overturned so that the schools and colleges and universities can worry about this little education problem that the United States appears to currently find itself in can better be attended to. Then all you people so incredibly afraid of giving a position of potentially equal power to the little people...the student athletes would not cause you so much distress, distrust, angst and misery.

It's a valid question.

It's a valid question.

Replace "sports" in the sentence you bolded with acting, writing, or any other program overseen by a University or high school, and see if there is the same outrage from my pretty little wren.

Then replace everything else he ever writes with this:

FsAm1.gif

Replace "sports" in the sentence you bolded with acting, writing, or any other program overseen by a University or high school, and see if there is the same outrage from my pretty little wren.

FsAm1.gif

LMAO! So spot on!

FsAm1.gif

I think that there's a difference. Generally speaking, at the high school level I'd feel pretty safe in saying that kids in theater programs, the band or on the math team don't get favorable treatment by being passed through the system because they're good at those things. Additionally, no one is paying off their advisors or parents to get them to accept a scholarship to a college. Not sure that the same could be said for really good high school football or basketball players.

The arms race in college sports has become disgusting. No locker room is big enough, no practice facility is modern enough and people like Nick Saban shouldn't be the highest paid employee of any university. His contribution to society pales in comparison to the research scientists at universities. I've contributed to the problem by making donations to the stadium and other athletic projects at the U. However, that recently changed, when a friend had a child diagnosed with leukemia and I visited him in the hospital. I was about to make a decent sized donation to U Athletics, but changed my mind after having to ask myself if there weren't causes more important. Universities top priorities should be educating and researching, not
sports.

Then there's the college athletes in revenue sports. When they're interviewed on television, often times they can barely put a sentence together and their majors tend to be "sports management" or something of the sort. I don't buy that most of these kids are there for an education.

While I enjoy college sports, root for the Gophers and still fly back for games, it feels a little more like a pro league every year, so why keep pretending that it isn't.

I will now step back into the Kelly Leeks character.

As much as I enjoy the Kelly Leeks character, that's a solid post.

I love Gopher football. Only football I really pay attention to anymore, but like you I'm really tired to the college sports arms race that has seemingly become a bottomless pit.

I'll probably send Norwood a few bucks for the new athletic village, but I'm not kidding myself that I'm making the world any better with that contribution.

The great thing about this is KGM was not a good player, so explain the economic losses he suffered? None. He was not limited in his "earnings" because of NCAA rules. He was limited by either a lack of talent, a lack of desire, or more likely both. No one else would have given him a scholarship if he could not play here under Brewster.

Top Bottom