Kendall Gregory-McGhee is suing the NCAA, SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac-12

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Jon Solomon:

Former University of Minnesota football player Kendall Gregory-McGhee is suing the NCAA, SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac-12 over capping scholarships below the actual cost of attendance listed by universities. The suit was filed in federal court in Northern California, the same location where a similar case was brought in March by former West Virginia running back Shawne Alston against the same parties.

The U.S. Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation is considering whether to consolidate in California the Alston suit and the Martin Jenkins suit, the case brought by high-profile attorney Jeffrey Kessler in New Jersey. The Alston suit alleges the NCAA and the five conferences violated antitrust law by capping the value of scholarships below actual cost of attendance. Jenkins' suit goes at the heart of the NCAA's amateurism principle by seeking an open market for player compensation.

This latest lawsuit by Gregory-McGhee more closely follows Alston. It elects to target the difference between the value of an athletic scholarship and the actual cost of attendance figure that varies by university.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/04/another.html#incart_river

Go Gophers!!

Whaaaat

If theses kids think playing in the NCAA is such a bad deal for them they should just pay there own way and go to school as a student. There getting a 4 year education and that should be enough.

If theses kids think playing in the NCAA is such a bad deal for them they should just pay there own way and go to school as a student. There getting a 4 year education and that should be enough.

Except a "full ride" isn't actually a full ride.

Agreed. That's the deal and it should never be renegotiated even though the NCAA pulls in a billion dollars per year. Not to mention that these kids can't even abide by the rules now; it's just "take, take, take".

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...lahoma-self-reports-excessive-pasta-violation

This topic is such a slippery slope. Give an inch and they'll take a mile. It is like raising the minimum wage... some folks think paying college athletes will help, it it will only make things worse.

This topic is such a slippery slope. Give an inch and they'll take a mile. It is like raising the minimum wage... some folks think paying college athletes will help, it it will only make things worse.

Well, too many college coaches get huge raises and earn outrageous salaries on the backs of these kids. Foolish fans who follow fantasy high school recruiting just drive the salary levels of the coaches up if the coaches are able to land any ***** & ****, or in many cases *** & ** star fantasy high school recruits and then win six or seven or once in a while eight games and then get an invitation to a bowl game that the coaching staff fails to prepare for and loses. The coaches get HUGE raises in salary for doing very little because the salary levels for college coaches continue to inflate. The athletic directors do stupid things and get huge salaries to give huge pay raises to the coaches. The prexys of the colleges and universities get paid entirely too much money and they pay outrageous salaries to their athletic directors who take the heat for them when things in the athletic department don't go so well. The NCAA is the organization that the college prexys created to do their dirty work for them.

The NCAA has failed to police the TOP programs...and has created a cast system that manages to generate a pretty good cash-flow back to the colleges. The nba and nfl have free farm systems and publicity machines for their future stars. The entertainment industry...cable, television and all the support people like former nfl and nba stars who become color commentators and so-called analysts all benefit from the college/university football & basketball farm systems. There are SO many people and organizations benefiting, why the hell shouldn't the players benefit from this pyramid scheme just the way the coaches, athletic directors, prexys institutions and all the other hangers-on do?

It is time for the student athletes to share the wealth...to get their share of the wealth created by this Ponzi scheme known as the NCAA Football and Basketball play-off system and THE tournament. It doesn't happen without them. They are NOT mere puppets. They NEED to shake the damn system up! And if that doesn't happen, the damn system needs to be broken up, shut down and then rise from the ashes in a PURE form that has NO huge winners and NO multi-million dollar college coaches.

Help kick their collective butts Kendall Gregory-McGhee!

Well, too many college coaches get huge raises and earn outrageous salaries on the backs of these kids. Foolish fans who follow fantasy high school recruiting just drive the salary levels of the coaches up if the coaches are able to land any ***** & ****, or in many cases *** & ** star fantasy high school recruits and then win six or seven or once in a while eight games and then get an invitation to a bowl game that the coaching staff fails to prepare for and loses. The coaches get HUGE raises in salary for doing very little because the salary levels for college coaches continue to inflate. The athletic directors do stupid things and get huge salaries to give huge pay raises to the coaches. The prexys of the colleges and universities get paid entirely too much money and they pay outrageous salaries to their athletic directors who take the heat for them when things in the athletic department don't go so well. The NCAA is the organization that the college prexys created to do their dirty work for them.

The NCAA has failed to police the TOP programs...and has created a cast system that manages to generate a pretty good cash-flow back to the colleges. The nba and nfl have free farm systems and publicity machines for their future stars. The entertainment industry...cable, television and all the support people like former nfl and nba stars who become color commentators and so-called analysts all benefit from the college/university football & basketball farm systems. There are SO many people and organizations benefiting, why the hell shouldn't the players benefit from this pyramid scheme just the way the coaches, athletic directors, prexys institutions and all the other hangers-on do?

It is time for the student athletes to share the wealth...to get their share of the wealth created by this Ponzi scheme known as the NCAA Football and Basketball play-off system and THE tournament. It doesn't happen without them. They are NOT mere puppets. They NEED to shake the damn system up! And if that doesn't happen, the damn system needs to be broken up, shut down and then rise from the ashes in a PURE form that has NO huge winners and NO multi-million dollar college coaches.

Help kick their collective butts Kendall Gregory-McGhee!

If the NCAA were to pay the players, then there are way better athletes that schools could get. I'm sure the CFL players would love to come over here and get an education.

Pay the players and get better ones in the process. Leave the 18 year old entitled brats to the wolves.

Walrus, I couldn't have said it better. The jockocracy of middle-aged white guys who run the NCAA (hey, I'm a middle-aged white guy picking on my own tribe) is a total joke. A bunch of high-salaried chair warmers.

Mason was pretty good on Barreiro the other day and offered some items Jim Delaney had suggested years ago, particularly on-going medical coverage for injured players and "lifetime" scholarships so guys could earn the degree of their choice. We can go around and around on the "paying kids" or "unionization" aspects, but they're just red herrings here. It wouldn't--and ultimately I don't think it will--take a lot to solve this.

I am so over the college players wanting more. to me the bottom line is give them schooling and some health coverage after college for any medical needs that might have been from their playing days(if they do not go to the NFL) if a player goes to the NFL then there should be a repayment of the $100,000.00-$150,000.00 of the scholarship monies they earned while attending college over a time of say 10 years. and that money could pay the helath benefits of the players not fortunate to continue playing the game of football.
do any average football players really think they are worth more that the $150,000.00(based on 5 years of 30,000.00) they are already getting?

You understand that the NCAA is making BILLIONS off their likeness and you want them to repay their scholarship if they go pro?

I don't think you get it. A "full ride" scholarship doesn't cover everything a student athlete needs while attending schools. Make scholarships cover the total true cost of attendance and forget about paying these kids. If an item can be purchased on campus, allow it to be covered by the scholarship. Obviously put limits on non-essential items.

I am so over the college players wanting more. to me the bottom line is give them schooling and some health coverage after college for any medical needs that might have been from their playing days(if they do not go to the NFL) if a player goes to the NFL then there should be a repayment of the $100,000.00-$150,000.00 of the scholarship monies they earned while attending college over a time of say 10 years. and that money could pay the helath benefits of the players not fortunate to continue playing the game of football.
do any average football players really think they are worth more that the $150,000.00(based on 5 years of 30,000.00) they are already getting?

Based on the ticket prices, tv contracts and other revenue streams generated by college football, they have a pretty good argument. If they aren't, then cut the number of scholarships to the kids that are.

I'm going to sue my employer because they give me exactly what they promised they would, and exactly what I agreed to. They didn't see fit to give me more than I agreed to, so now I'm going to sue.

I'm going to sue my employer because they give me exactly what they promised they would, and exactly what I agreed to. They didn't see fit to give me more than I agreed to, so now I'm going to sue.

If they want a career in the NFL, please enlighten me on the alternatives. I don't think these kids should be paid but they should be given a scholarship that covers the cost of attending college.

If they want a career in the NFL, please enlighten me on the alternatives. I don't think these kids should be paid but they should be given a scholarship that covers the cost of attending college.

The NFL could make a minor league. There's one alternative.

I am thinking when this is finally settled the Supreme Court just equates football and basketball to any other profession; you have to go learn how to do it at a high level as a minimum to become a professional. Just like accountant's, engineers, biologist, chemists, psychologists, and physicists. College sports are a not grad school equivalent.

The fact that the program can help the University defray the costs through ticket sales allows for scholarships for talented students. This doesn't sound so weird. Moreover, the fact that professors make a lot of money simply reflects their ability to reach the pinnacle in their profession. Yes, it's very hard to teach, even football. The argument that these kids are exploited or deserve anything more is Reductio ad absurdum.

You are exactly correct. In this case, mom and dad are not doing their job either, since they are supposed to be reading the agreement as well.

1. Indoor football. Some day they could be another Kurt Warner. Seriously--I had to go to college to get the job I have. It isn't a lot to ask a football player, 98.3% of which will not play pro football as a career...except in indoor football. I think that the 1.7% can thank the others and move on.

2. Enlighten me. How do they not? The dozens and dozens of Gopher players I have known in the last 15+ years were grateful to get what they got, and not one of them left school in debt.

Go play in the euro league or the CFL.

The NCAA does not pull in "billions". It's revenue is far less than a billion per year. If we divide its total revenue, I'll give you one billion as charity, and divide by the 450,000 student athletes that is about 2200 per student before subtracting other expenses.

The u of m has roughly 60 million per year in athletics revenue, per Espn. About half of Alabama. Once again, expenses would need to be subtracted out before any profit sharing.

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/revenue

If students were to be paid, do 4 stars get more than 3 stars? Football more than golf team.

If we really break it down, this comes down to an ugly greed by all parties.

I would love to see the NCAA mandate all revenue beyond "x" rolled back into academic scholarships, or the charity of each schools choice. A salary cap. This would solve all the WHINING overnight and put the money to constructive use.

No more million dollar salaries for defensive coordinators or administrators.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/...ion-per-year-amid-challenges-players/6973767/

I think that pretty much sums it up.

"I have it pretty damn good, better than everyone else on campus, but I think it could be better"

You understand that the NCAA is making BILLIONS ...QUOTE]

Not remotely true.

Shoot guys I'm so glad I'm getting raked over the coals because the NCAA as an organization only makes 800 million dollars a year and not the billion that I stated. Hundreds of millions in revenue compared to billions in revenue for the governing body really makes a huge difference to my point. Would you have preferred I said college sports make billions a year for the NCAA and it's member institutions? College basketball alone brought in $1.4 billion in revenue for NCAA member universities. The top 20 college football teams generated $1.3 billion in revenue.

Heck, The University of Texas made more than $100 million in revenue by themselves.

But yes these kids are complete ingrates for wanting a full-ride to actually be a full-ride.

Oh would I be completely out of line in mentioning the $11 billion dollar TV contract the NCAA signed with CBS to broadcast the NCAA basketball tournament.

Thanks for shooting holes in my statement. I'm really glad you guys are here to set me straight.

Where are you getting your numbers? The 11 billion dollar contract must be for 15-20 years, not per year.

All of these institutions have enormous yearly operating costs and that needs to be brought into the equation. These numbers are meaningless w/o a budget breakdown. That said, I agree the salaries are out of control in the last 10 years. The "facilities" nonsense is out of control. It's gotten fairly embarrassing and looks to get worse.

There are 450,000 student athletes that will want a cut of the pie. After all, none of the scholarships cover all the bling these kids "need". It's amazing there weren't lines outside the soup kitchens for the past 60 years with all the starving student athletes, huh?

The star QB will want exponentially more than the Kendall Gregory-Mcghee non-factor, non-star hanger-on. How do you intend to stop this bidding process once started?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You guys are cheering for the destruction of amateur college athletics.

If you want to watch professional athletes, cheer for the NFL!

The profits from college athletics SHOULD be rolled back into the core mission of the member universities: education.

I'm really disappointed with what I've been seeing from both the students, the NCAA, and the college administrators. Not to mention a lot of posters here on Gopherhole. Think about unintended consequences.

Where are you getting your numbers? The 11 billion dollar contract must be for 15-20 years, not per year.

All of these institutions have enormous yearly operating costs and that needs to be brought into the equation. These numbers are meaningless w/o a budget breakdown. That said, I agree the salaries are out of control in the last 10 years. The "facilities" nonsense is out of control. It's gotten fairly embarrassing and looks to get worse.

There are 450,000 student athletes that will want a cut of the pie. After all, none of the scholarships cover all the bling these kids "need". It's amazing there weren't lines outside the soup kitchens for the past 60 years with all the starving student athletes, huh?

The star QB will want exponentially more than the Kendall Gregory-Mcghee non-factor, non-star hanger-on. How do you intend to stop this bidding process once started?

My numbers are from CNN and Forbes. Not sources I would use for a research paper but sufficient for a Internet forum. Yes it is 11 billion dollars over 14 years. That's just the broadcasting deal for the NCAA basketball tournament deal. That's $785 million dollars per year to televise 65 games each season.

I don't think this is a difficult issue. Fashion isn't a necessity and I'm against paying players based on their popularity. Everyone on a full ride receives the same aid.

The issues facing student athletes are being ignored because there is currently not a viable alternative to College Football. Money goes to coaches because there's competition for their services. Money goes to facilities because of competition for recruits. There's no competition for football players' time after HS graduation and before meeting the NFL age requirement. This means the NCAA has a monopoly and is acting in a position of immense strength Thus giving potential student athletes a take it or leave it proposition. A proposition which any 18 year old with a dream of being a professional is going to succumb to. Lawsuit is the only vehicle for change in this instance. The move isn't about greed it's about altering antiquated rules. If I'm mistaken, please tell me another plausible method to improve scholarship coverage.

It's a real question for which I really have no answers. First, though, football players risk their bodies and their health to support the entire sports enterprise of a university. It is the high risk assumed by the players that makes he football commitment materially different from say the women's rowing team.

Additionally, and we all know this, a football commitment is different than most other team sports. "Voluntary" off-season time on the practice field and in the weight room are not voluntary and are major taxes of time and effort.

Then, on top of this, we have head coaches making unimaginable money and a group if old white guys that head the NCAA and make well over $1 million per year. Mark Emmert's salary is reported as $1.6 million.

All of these levels of extraordinary expense are supported by a group of young men, many of whom are left crippled and mentally damaged. I don't know what the solution is, but it is clear that if the NCAA leaves it up to litigation attorneys and the court system no one will like the outcome.

Top Bottom