TDG-Minnesota Football: Can the Gophers Improve in 2014 if the Passing Game Doesn't?

Here are the Cliff Notes for his posts.

Big Ten wins matter. :0)

So, throw one out there at me resident lowlobber: can you give me a single indicator that better describes ALL aspects of Golden Gopher Football than the Conference wins vs. Conference losses? It seems to me that includes coaching, recruiting, development of players, execution on Game Day Saturday, heart, motivation and ability to compete with the teams that are supposed to be peers of the University of Minnesota Football Team...you know resident lowlobber, the OTHER Conference member teams.

How else do YOU determine how this football team compares to the teams it competes most closely with???????

I was at the Spring game and watched the Spring Game back last night. Gaard and Fuller both commented how much better Leidner looked in practice versus last year. I said this in another thread, but I'd love to see how expectations would be different had Wolitarsky caught the ball against Syracuse rather than letting it slip through his hands. If you're looking for Peyton Manning throwing the ball all over the field, you're going to be S.O.L. A QB's best friends are a solid running game and reliable safety valves. The TEs on this roster are going to make Mitch look really good by the end of the season.
Ryan Burns also has talked about how much better Leidner has been as well.

It would be pretty surprising if the passing game doesn't improve regardless of our QB play. Our QBs were not very good last year and lets assume that they won't be very good this year (for the sake of an argument).

Wouldn't you guess that Maxx Williams, Drew Wolitarsky and Jones would all improve?

And with the additions of Melvin Holland, Eric Carter, Jeff and Berkley when playing slot WR and possibly Gentry if he doesn't RS. And everybody coming back on the O-line.

LOUD NOISES!

enhanced-buzz-16534-1382451952-2.jpg

Ryan Burns also has talked about how much better Leidner has been as well.

Had a chance to talk to both Ryan Burns and Joe Christensen together at spring practice. Both of them are great guys. They along with Nate Sandell seem to do the best reporting. Also they all seemed to have been there most of the time during spring practice. Therefore I would place Burns opinion way above Jeffricks when comes to evaluating Leidner this spring. I was surprised how close Burns is to the program and how much he knows about what is going on with it.

I predict we see some Strevler.

Let the merry go around continue.

dieguy: you can't even read, can you? I said NOTHING about the person you constantly bring up. NOTHING. And, aren't you getting kind of damn sick and tired of my Gophers losing to the stinking badgers? Since when is the game with the stinking badgers even going to be the most difficult game of the season dieguy? I think I could make a great case that the Ohio State game most likely will be the most difficult game of the 2014 season for my Gophers. Or, at Nebraska. How often can my Gophers win at Ann Arbor? That sure as heck is going to be a damn tough game. The stinking badgers game won't be the toughest game of the season dieguy...and IF you weren't trying to trash me and my post so much, I think even someone like you would have to admit that playing in Lincoln, or Ann Arbor or anywhere against the Ohio State machine is typically tougher than playing the stinking badgers.

After losing all these games in succession against the stinking badgers any time and EVERY time my Gophers line up against the stinking darn badgers it IS a "must win" situation. Enough is ENOUGH, dieguy, don't you think? Or, what kind of a Gopher fan are you?

But, but, but...The Wisconsin game is only 8.3% of the schedule, or 12.5% of the BigTen games. No one BigTen game is bigger than the other. It is the season total that matters. What's good for Glen is Good for coach Kill.

;0)

But, but, but...The Wisconsin game is only 8.3% of the schedule, or 12.5% of the BigTen games. No one BigTen game is bigger than the other. It is the season total that matters. What's good for Glen is Good for coach Kill.

;0)

Who the hell is Glen? Is he the big fellow who took over for Coach Kill on the sidelines last fall? Oh, I guess to your generation these "border battles" aren't really any kind of a big deal. Of course, your generation seems to care more about "fantasy high school football recruiting" and twittering than the actual games, I guess I can understand where YOU are coming from..."border battle games" really don't matter much to you. It really doesn't even matter that wisky has won so many of these games in the past 10 years...NO, make that the last 15 years, like almost all of them, if not ALL of them? Wow, that is so strange. Losing to wisky or iowa really bums me out. I guess you have more important things to twitter about than border battles...right st paulGopher?

Well, at least you have been paying attention to the fact that each conference game is 12.5% of an 8 game conference schedule. What will you do when the Conference Schedule goes to 9 games?

Will that guy you refer to as Glen...that big fellow from last year be standing on the sidelines again in 2014? I don't know, he brought my Gophers pretty good luck during that four game stretch, but then something happened during the last 3 games of the year. Will that big Glen fellow have his mojo back in 2014? Are you SURE that big fellow's name was Glen? I really do think you may be mistaken about that. But, it really doesn't matter any way.

Someone mentioned it earlier...was this really the first time the team practiced outside all spring? Not making excuses, but going from controlled indoor weather to colder, wet (not sure if the field was wet...I know we got a little rain) conditions for the first time probably isn't the most conducive for a strong passing attack (insert joke about holes in roof of indoor practice facility here).

Also, the article mentioned Fruechte taking over for Jones. Anyone have any insight into this? Seams a bit early to make assumptions about the depth chart you'd think.

Shortell could yet he transferred and didn't fit the system.

Shortell love to go along with DCT love on GH. Gotta love it... "Just imagine how great we'd be if we had Max throwing to DCT this year."

Shortell love to go along with DCT love on GH. Gotta love it... "Just imagine how great we'd be if we had Max throwing to DCT this year."

Now, that's fantasy football - GopherHole style!

it's like this

Pnelson > Leidner and the coaches knew it. otherwise they wouldn't have started Nelson last year. Something went wrong-...maybe pnelson waved off a play or 2 and with this staff that is a no no. we'll never know but the fact is the qb situation in 2014 is horsht.

Thanks for brining cold, hard facts to this discussion and not childish hyperbole. That would be ridiculous.

Top Bottom