Zach Lofton Update

Some posts earlier in this thread were saying his last like 10 games or so this year he was shooting at a lot higher percentage

Last 10 games 34% on 28 three balls if my numbers are correct. Not exactly amazing, but respectable.

It's insane it is to think he can be our next Hollins or Westy from what you saw on a summer league highlight video.

His shooting % tells me he is another Malik Smith on the court, and his past tells me he is a headcase. Its one thing to offer this guy and have him play right away, but its another to offer this guy, use up one of the scholarships for 14-15 season for a guy who can't see the floor. If you want a trasfer get one that can play right away or one who is talented enough that your willing to wait a year for and would consider as good as you will get for the 2015 class. Essentially it would be telling us how confident pitino is regarding getting talent for the 2015 class, since essentially he'd be coming in with the 2015 class, and if lofton like talent is what we should expect in for the 2015 class, count me as very disappointed.

That's a very pessimistic viewpoint Guy.... If we are getting 2015 recruits that can come onto campus and compete at the level of other Juniors (if that what this kid can do of coarse), color me excited.

His shooting % tells me he is another Malik Smith on the court

He's definitely a rhythm shooter, every time I've seen him he has taken a lot of shots but he can shoot, is bigger than Smith, and more athletic, I think he will be able to create his own shot in the Big Ten, like you and others have said though his ability to blend into a team offense where he isn't the main option is a concern. I like it because it fills a hole in the 2015 season and still allows you to recruit a four year player in that class.

I would think it would discount any chance that Woodard looks at the Gophers or the Gophers at Woodard, same type of skill set and eligibility years.

I don't think Lofton will be anywhere near as good as Dre Hollins, but he doesn't have to be, if he can provide scoring off the bench than that fills a void that we will need, plus it would be nice to add a veteran into the rotation in two years since we will have a young team. Keep in mind if Buggs still here he will be the last Tubby recruit left in program in two years and he didn't play a lick that season

Highlight tape from his season at Illinois State.

very interesting if you gotta couple minutes to spare.
i particularly like how it showcases his pick and roll game.

I don't think Lofton will be anywhere near as good as Dre Hollins, but he doesn't have to be, if he can provide scoring off the bench than that fills a void that we will need, plus it would be nice to add a veteran into the rotation in two years since we will have a young team. Keep in mind if Buggs still here he will be the last Tubby recruit left in program in two years and he didn't play a lick that season

Sophomore Andre or junior Andre?

His offensive movement actually reminds me a bit of Bobby Jackson; does he ever not take NBA threes? Definitely has range.

His shooting % tells me he is another Malik Smith on the court, and his past tells me he is a headcase. Its one thing to offer this guy and have him play right away, but its another to offer this guy, use up one of the scholarships for 14-15 season for a guy who can't see the floor. If you want a trasfer get one that can play right away or one who is talented enough that your willing to wait a year for and would consider as good as you will get for the 2015 class. Essentially it would be telling us how confident pitino is regarding getting talent for the 2015 class, since essentially he'd be coming in with the 2015 class, and if lofton like talent is what we should expect in for the 2015 class, count me as very disappointed.

Yes, this definitely means that every player we get in 2015 will be the exact talent level of Lofton and Pitino has no confidence in getting better players :rolleyes:. You seem to like to panic a lot. Maybe it means we have a bunch of open scholarships to work with over the next couple of years so we can afford to offer someone to help balance out the classes, give us depth and an experienced scorer off the bench once Andre is gone, and still leave us with more than enough open spots to go after the higher rated players. I promise, the sky isn't falling.

Yes, this definitely means that every player we get in 2015 will be the exact talent level of Lofton and Pitino has no confidence in getting better players :rolleyes:. You seem to like to panic a lot. Maybe it means we have a bunch of open scholarships to work with over the next couple of years so we can afford to offer someone to help balance out the classes, give us depth and an experienced scorer off the bench once Andre is gone, and still leave us with more than enough open spots to go after the higher rated players. I promise, the sky isn't falling.

There will be juco's available in next years class who are more talented and who would graduate same time as lofton so they can balance out the class if that is what we are so concerned with. So why settle for lofton if you think you can get better players next year, its not like he can help you this upcoming season. There are better transfers available this year we can go after, with less baggage. Maybe I expect more than the rest of you, but is your idea of replacing Andre really this guy? Did we fire tubby to take step back or take the next step forward

Sent from my LIFE PLAY using Tapatalk

You know Mo Walker was suspended for 6 games last year? He is a locker room headache isn't he?

There is much longer history than just the last few games of this past season with lofton, his recent history just indicates he still hasn't changed his ways

Also walkers issue wasn't behavioral

There will be juco's available in next years class who are more talented and who would graduate same time as lofton so they can balance out the class if that is what we are so concerned with. So why settle for lofton if you think you can get better players next year, its not like he can help you this upcoming season. There are better transfers available this year we can go after, with less baggage. Maybe I expect more than the rest of you, but is your idea of replacing Andre really this guy? Did we fire tubby to take step back or take the next step forward

How is it taking a step backwards? Lofton was JP Macura in 2011 except he lost the state title game and ran out the tunnel. If you want to question his character and attitude I can agree with you except for the fact that by the time he steps on the court he'd be 23 years old. But please don't tell me he doesn't have the talent. He's a high-major scorer flat out. And how would Lofton be taking a step back from anything Tubby brought in his last 3 years?

Maaaaaybe, just maybe, Pitino thinks that Lofton can be a very good player for us, despite the fact that he isn't ranked super highly.

How is it taking a step backwards? Lofton was JP Macura in 2011 except he lost the state title game and ran out the tunnel. If you want to question his character and attitude I can agree with you except for the fact that by the time he steps on the court he'd be 23 years old. But please don't tell me he doesn't have the talent. He's a high-major scorer flat out. And how would Lofton be taking a step back from anything Tubby brought in his last 3 years?

Anything? I guess we differ on opinion but I'd take a lot of tubby's players over lofton. What from his stats tell you he is a high major player? We are going to compare him to JP really? JP won the state playing against much better basketball competition than what was around during lofton's high school days. Lofton best offers out of high school were from Milwaukee and Duquesne, I'd say those are quite a few steps below what jp got

There is much longer history than just the last few games of this past season with lofton, his recent history just indicates he still hasn't changed his ways

Mbakwe's was.

Maaaaaybe, just maybe, Pitino thinks that Lofton can be a very good player for us, despite the fact that he isn't ranked super highly.

If we end up offering and he is a gopher, then I'll be 100% behind him and hope succeeds, just like I was with mav, malik, oto, Andre, Austin, etc. Some players are just more likely succeed more than others and I want those players more

And obviously pitino is unsure at best about lofton considering he hasn't offered yet.

Mbakwe's was.

Its a good point and what mbakwe did was worse since it was a legal issues and what not, but he wasn't a head case on the team, he had a good attitude and wasn't toxic on the team, something I can't say about lofton, I will admit I haven't spoken with lofton or followed him all that closely since his high school days, but it just seems like he has not changed his ways since then just from reading up on him. I just don't think he is good enough to overlook his behavioral issues

Why does someone get suspended if not behavioral?

Why does someone get suspended if not behavioral?

I'm sure its out there and most posters know, but Mo broke team rules was the official release and I don't give out any more details personally, I'll just say it was bad decision making off the court and not wally ellenson suspension situation where he had behavior issues with the coach

I'm sure its out there and most posters know, but Mo broke team rules was the official release and I don't give out any more details personally, I'll just say it was bad decision making off the court and not wally ellenson suspension situation where he had behavior issues with the coach

Mo got caught smoking weed. I don't know why you're afraid to say it.

There will be juco's available in next years class who are more talented and who would graduate same time as lofton so they can balance out the class if that is what we are so concerned with.
Who are they and how do you know they would sign with us? Just because someone is available doesn't mean we will get them. What if we passed on Lofton to take a JUCO next year, but didn't find one as good as him who actually wanted to play for us? If you have a player that you think will help the team, you don't say, "No thanks, I'll wait a year and see if there is someone just like you and offer them instead." That doesn't make sense.

Maybe I expect more than the rest of you, but is your idea of replacing Andre really this guy? Did we fire tubby to take step back or take the next step forward

What are you talking about? Who said Lofton would be replacing him? I said he would provide depth and be a scorer off the bench after we lost Andre. Andre wasn't a scorer off the bench who provided depth, was he? Again, you don't make sense. There would be plenty of spots available after we sign Lofton (if we even do) for a more talented player who could start over him. There are 13 scholarships.

Who are they and how do you know they would sign with us? Just because someone is available doesn't mean we will get them. What if we passed on Lofton to take a JUCO next year, but didn't find one as good as him who actually wanted to play for us? If you have a player that you think will help the team, you don't say, "No thanks, I'll wait a year and see if there is someone just like you and offer them instead." That doesn't make sense.

Then I would say we hired the wrong coach if he does't think he can get someone better or as good as lofton(have yet to hear of other major schools being interested), and that goes back to me saying how confident is pitino with his recruiting skills.

What are you talking about? Who said Lofton would be replacing him? I said he would provide depth and be a scorer off the bench after we lost Andre. Andre wasn't a scorer off the bench who provided depth, was he? Again, you don't make sense. There would be plenty of spots available after we sign Lofton (if we even do) for a more talented player who could start over him. There are 13 scholarships.

Reread the thread, you will see a lot of mention of lofton taking over for andre once he leaves. There may be 13 scholarships, but replacing a malik with another malik doesn't help you take a step forward. I don't understand the people that say pitino will get us to take the next step but than are satisified with malik, king, and the lofton's of the world, ok first few years, I'll excuse it, but in my book lofton would be a 2015 kid, and I hope pitino recruits a much better class by then, and considering pitino hasn't even offered, I'd say even pitino is unsure if lofton is worth it. Every time a name gets floated around everyone is automatically in love with him and say they'd be worth a offer, but than we pass on them all the sudden their opinion is different. I'm a little different, I would root for him and hope he succeeds if end up offering and he commit, like I did with mav, malik, etc. but that does't change if he succeeds or not, I like to get players who are more likely to succeed.

Zach Lofton

Now I hope we sign Lofton even more than before.

Zach,if you are reading some of the negative opinions,please know that the majority of us trust Pitino and staff and if you are good enough for him,you will help this team.Forget the "experts" here who neither know you nor have seen you play nor do they have any expertise whatsoever to judge talent even if they did.I think the vast majority of fans trust staff.There is a small and vicious minority who seem to delight in slandering recruits before they even get here!Don't get it???
From one Hylander to another,I hope we see you in maroon and gold soon.

Top Bottom