Zach Lofton Update

I'd like to see another Duluth native, Johnny Woodard get a look for 2015.

Me too. Really talented kid who would fit in well. Plus, I bet it would increase our chances with Manyang. I bet if we miss out on Trier he'll enter the picture. Would like to see him recruited either way though.

Few things Ryan James posted to GI:

1. First of all, Lofton did not get kicked off Illinois State. He wants to be a Gopher and they released him. That's why he missed the last 3 games.

Muller said Illinois State sophomore guard Zach Lofton, who is second on the team at 11.3 points per game, will not travel with the team because he’s serving a suspension. Lofton has missed both of the Redbirds’ CBI victories over Morehead State and Texas A&M.

Muller said Illinois State sophomore guard Zach Lofton, who is second on the team at 11.3 points per game, will not travel with the team because he’s serving a suspension. Lofton has missed both of the Redbirds’ CBI victories over Morehead State and Texas A&M.

My bad, I think I misunderstood what James was saying. All he was saying is that Zach wasn't kicked off the team, he just wants to play for the Gophers so they released him.

My bad, I think I misunderstood what James was saying. All he was saying is that Zach wasn't kicked off the team, he just wants to play for the Gophers so they released him.

I have to believe there was more to it than that... and it appears that way from other stories. But I don't really care, I trust Coach and or staff would make plenty of calls before offering, so if they do good.

I was at many of those pully games, before you get all excited about that video remember Joe Coleman was scoring in the 40's in some of those games. He has skill, could be worth a 2 year scolly.

When a guy sits out for a year (due to transfer) does that count against our 13 schollys? Me thinks the answer is yes?

He has skill, could be worth a 2 year scolly.

Lofton will be on scholarship for three years, which makes his immediate contribution really important when he's eligible as a junior.

Go Gophers!!

Lofton will be on scholarship for three years, which makes his immediate contribution really important when he's eligible as a junior.

Go Gophers!!

If Coach P thinks it is worth it, then I say GOPHER IT!!!

I am skeptical, but the coaching staff deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Go Gophers!!

You are jumping the gun...

A) He has not been offered or accepted a scholarship.

B) He loves the gophers so much he will walk on this season and only be on scolly one year!

C) Jigga said something about being optimistic about playing next season. Sorry to hear, but his close retaliative Jigga is very sick, he will get a waver.

I love the fact that he is a hometown kid and wants to play for the Gophers!

I'd be surprised if the Gophers were willing to take Lofton. Those shooting statistics at Illinois State are really, really concerning. I've seen Zach Lofton and "Andre Hollins replacement" mentioned in the same sentence in this thread. As a Sophomore in the Big Ten, Andre shot 41.6 % from the field (not great), 41.8% from 3 (pretty good), scored 14.6 a game, grabbed 3.7 boards and dished out 3.4 assists. As a Sophomore in the Missouri Valley, Zach shot 33.9% from the field (horrifically bad), 29.2% from 3 (not good), scored 11.3 a game, grabbed 3 boards and dished out 1. 5 assists. I don't see how anyone could reasonably expect Zach Lofton to come in and perform like Andre Hollins. I am not saying that it is not possible, just that it seems like quite a stretch. In Zach's favor, he did put up much more impressive stats during his one season at San Jacinto.

With all the transfers available through out college basketball and a number of fairly high profile high school kids who are now available after coaching changes, it seems strange to me to identify Lofton as a target. If the staff is willing to take a guy who has to sit out a red shirt year, there are a lot of guys out there that seem like better options than Lofton. That's without factoring in the suspension that we don't have any details about.

Obviously this is just my opinion and my job doesn't depend on how these scholarships are used. If Zach Lofton does become a Gopher, I hope he lives up to the positive side of the very polarizing opinions I've heard on him.

I'd be surprised if the Gophers were willing to take Lofton. Those shooting statistics at Illinois State are really, really concerning. I've seen Zach Lofton and "Andre Hollins replacement" mentioned in the same sentence in this thread. As a Sophomore in the Big Ten, Andre shot 41.6 % from the field (not great), 41.8% from 3 (pretty good), scored 14.6 a game, grabbed 3.7 boards and dished out 3.4 assists. As a Sophomore in the Missouri Valley, Zach shot 33.9% from the field (horrifically bad), 29.2% from 3 (not good), scored 11.3 a game, grabbed 3 boards and dished out 1. 5 assists. I don't see how anyone could reasonably expect Zach Lofton to come in and perform like Andre Hollins. I am not saying that it is not possible, just that it seems like quite a stretch. In Zach's favor, he did put up much more impressive stats during his one season at San Jacinto.

With all the transfers available through out college basketball and a number of fairly high profile high school kids who are now available after coaching changes, it seems strange to me to identify Lofton as a target. If the staff is willing to take a guy who has to sit out a red shirt year, there are a lot of guys out there that seem like better options than Lofton. That's without factoring in the suspension that we don't have any details about.

Obviously this is just my opinion and my job doesn't depend on how these scholarships are used. If Zach Lofton does become a Gopher, I hope he lives up to the positive side of the very polarizing opinions I've heard on him.
Some posts earlier in this thread were saying his last like 10 games or so this year he was shooting at a lot higher percentage and playing a lot better. Not sure on the stats off the top of my head, but they were posted earlier

um....to make your point...

I'm just curious why you left out Andre's junior year stats?
and you do understand someone has to be willing to play here? and there are 300 other choices for "all of the available transfer" guys?
and that Lofton handles the ball better and passes better and plays better defense than Andre? and those skills might compensate for his inconsistency in shooting percentages? It is not like Lofton CAN'T shoot...he seems a little streaky ha but that's coaching, environment, confidence, system and kinda unpredictable but the fact they both can light it up is how they compare and what makes them both intriguing. If the staff wants him, he looks potentially dynamic to me.

I'd like to see another Duluth native, Johnny Woodard get a look for 2015.

Love the Lofton taking over for Hollins take. Would be be a true scorer starting or coming off the bench.

Where is Woodard? I remember him being talked about quite a bit.

After seeing some highlights, I agree it looks like he could help us replace Dre. I still kind of envision McNeil filling that role, but Lofton would definitely be insurance and worst case scenario he'd be a spark plug off the bench. The attitude stuff concerns me a bit, but I will trust the staff in that regard. His game from the little I've seen, is like a hybrid of Dre and Westbrook, which would be awesome if his head is on straight.

Westbrook is exactly who I thought of when I watched video on Lofton. Obviously Lofton is bigger, but it seems like a good comparison on the offensive side of the ball.

If Lofton comes here and he plays/competes anything like Westbrook did, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

His shooting % tells me he is another Malik Smith on the court, and his past tells me he is a headcase. Its one thing to offer this guy and have him play right away, but its another to offer this guy, use up one of the scholarships for 14-15 season for a guy who can't see the floor. If you want a trasfer get one that can play right away or one who is talented enough that your willing to wait a year for and would consider as good as you will get for the 2015 class. Essentially it would be telling us how confident pitino is regarding getting talent for the 2015 class, since essentially he'd be coming in with the 2015 class, and if lofton like talent is what we should expect in for the 2015 class, count me as very disappointed.

Competes yes, plays no. No ball hogs please.

To each our own. I did say "if" he becomes a Gopher. Have reservations about the way things ended at Illinois State. I have no idea whether he's a Big Ten-caliber player, will leave that up to Pitino.

I liked Westbrook, though he wasn't very popular throughout his Gopher career. Channeled properly, I think a dash of "nasty" can be good for a team. (just don't trash-talk Evan Turner if you know you have to play the Buckeyes again in Columbus)

To each our own. I liked Westbrook, though he wasn't very popular throughout his Gopher career. Channeled properly, I think a little "nasty" can be good for a team. (just don't trash-talk Evan Turner)

Agreed. I was a huge Westbrook fan. Liked Devoe for the same reasons. DeAndre as well.

To each our own. I did say "if" he becomes a Gopher. Have reservations about the way things ended at Illinois State. I have no idea whether he's a Big Ten-caliber player, will leave that up to Pitino.

I liked Westbrook, though he wasn't very popular throughout his Gopher career. Channeled properly, I think a dash of "nasty" can be good for a team. (just don't trash-talk Evan Turner if you know you have to play the Buckeyes again in Columbus)

+1. Westbrook was a stud.

His shooting % tells me he is another Malik Smith on the court, and his past tells me he is a headcase. Its one thing to offer this guy and have him play right away, but its another to offer this guy, use up one of the scholarships for 14-15 season for a guy who can't see the floor. If you want a trasfer get one that can play right away or one who is talented enough that your willing to wait a year for and would consider as good as you will get for the 2015 class. Essentially it would be telling us how confident pitino is regarding getting talent for the 2015 class, since essentially he'd be coming in with the 2015 class, and if lofton like talent is what we should expect in for the 2015 class, count me as very disappointed.

I don't think it says anything about how 2015 recruiting is going. We're still going to have at minimum 4 scholarships open for the 2015 class. That's plenty. Lofton is talented and helps even things out, and if this coaching staff wants him then I'm sold.

I wonder if the whole "suspension" thing didn't have something to do with him telling everyone he was transferring at the end of the school year? If I was a coach and was hearing this, why take him to the fricken CBI?? Let some players that will be there next year get more minutes. Just a thought.

Top Bottom