Zach Lofton Update

Haha yeah I understand that. I wasn't saying or implying that he can't go to college or can't afford to pay for a year at the U. Even if he can easily afford it he would still probably rather take the free option if he has it like almost any other player would.

Agreed. Just being a pissant because I want someone to commit to the damn team. Sick of the speculation.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>In Mn for the Night &#55357;&#56844;</p>— Zach Lofton (@ZachLofton) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLofton/statuses/457356445890011136">April 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Visit to University of Minnesota was ill. &#55357;&#56891;</p>— Zach Lofton (@ZachLofton) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLofton/statuses/457641379481403392">April 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>We just spoke to a source who says that <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLofton">@zachlofton</a> really enjoyed his time with <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> and loved the staff. Expecting resolution next wk.</p>— GopherHole.com (@GopherHole) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherHole/statuses/457683000378269696">April 20, 2014</a></blockquote>

Most families aren't but there are ways around it, grants, financial aid etc, Union, the school who beat us in hockey doesn't give athletic scholarships, but they make other arrangements for their athletes. I am sure Shell gets some sort of financial help if he wants it, of course this means Lofton would have to have the grades to get into the U, which I think was a problem for Carson Shanks

It wasn't grades with Carson. It was missing a deadline for mid year transfers. The exception to this would have been if he was on bball scholarship. Since he was going to pay his own way, he had to abide by the schools transfer deadlines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>We just spoke to a source who says that <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLofton">@zachlofton</a> really enjoyed his time with <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> and loved the staff. Expecting resolution next wk.</p>— GopherHole.com (@GopherHole) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherHole/statuses/457683000378269696">April 20, 2014</a></blockquote>

Expecting Resolution? That sounds strange.. that sounds like nothing is set yet

To me it sounds like waiting on some paperwork/formality.

Sounds to me that lofton wants be here and pitino is unsure if he is good enough and told him he'll make up his mind by next week so if he can't be a gopher he can have time to look elsewhere for team to take him, most likely a midmajor

Sent from my LIFE PLAY using Tapatalk

Not sure but Pitino can't talk to Justin Martin till he has graduated so that is not it, seems like it is either paper work (Lofton's transcripts) need to get sent to the U or Pitino is waiting to hear from another recruit to say yes or no to the Gophers next week, doubt Pitino can't make up his mind...

Sounds to me that lofton wants be here and pitino is unsure if he is good enough and told him he'll make up his mind by next week so if he can't be a gopher he can have time to look elsewhere for team to take him, most likely a midmajor

Not sure but Pitino can't talk to Justin Martin till he has graduated so that is not it, seems like it is either paper work (Lofton's transcripts) need to get sent to the U or Pitino is waiting to hear from another recruit to say yes or no to the Gophers next week, doubt Pitino can't make up his mind...

But wouldn't we probably hear that the gophers want him if he can get his academics in order, like with konate and piper, where we know the staff wanted them. Pitino may not know if he can martin or whoever for sure, but he has to decide if he is confident that he can get someone at equal or greater value and also not keep lofton hanging, which could cost him roster spots elsewhere, think this is more of pitino showing him respect and not stringing him along

Easter weekend is not a good weekend to try and process a scholarship offer.

The staff is fine with him sitting a year and getting acclimated to his new team, coaches, and environment.
They have high expectations of him with his 2 years of eligibilty. Fits perfectly with Pitino's system. Coach is trying to recruits towards his style of play.

the staff is excited about Lofton's Length, athleticism, ball handling, and ability to score. Pitino knows how to spot talent, I'll trust his opinion.

Seems the assumption is the big commitment is Martin.Anything more on Ahmed Hill?Or anyone else?

Believe Ahmed Hill decided to follow Buzz to Virginia Tech.

Guard Ahmed Hill from Aquinas High in Augusta, Ga., and center Satchel Pierce from Kiski School in Saltsburg, Pa., have committed to Tech for the 2014 recruiting class, according to an update Pierce posted Saturday morning to his Twitter account (@satch1032):

“I’m proud to say @MedHill_14 (Hill) and I will be playing for @TeamCoachBuzz (Williams) at Virginia Tech! Thanking God for blessing me with this opportunity.”

Both Hill and Pierce signed letters of intent last fall to Marquette. They were released from their letters of intent and reopened their recruitment after Williams left Marquette in March to coach at Tech.

6:08 p.m. EDT, April 19, 2014

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/co...hel-pierce-to-come-to-20140419,0,2823135.post

I mean is Lofton really worth putting a scholly on? Undersized streaky 2 guard that will be at his 3rd school in 3 years? I know it worked out with Deandre Mathieu but do we want to continue to go down these types of roads? I say pass on him and look for somebody else.

Thank you. I often wonder about the logic on here.

Who are they and how do you know they would sign with us? Just because someone is available doesn't mean we will get them. What if we passed on Lofton to take a JUCO next year, but didn't find one as good as him who actually wanted to play for us? If you have a player that you think will help the team, you don't say, "No thanks, I'll wait a year and see if there is someone just like you and offer them instead." That doesn't make sense.

What are you talking about? Who said Lofton would be replacing him? I said he would provide depth and be a scorer off the bench after we lost Andre. Andre wasn't a scorer off the bench who provided depth, was he? Again, you don't make sense. There would be plenty of spots available after we sign Lofton (if we even do) for a more talented player who could start over him. There are 13 scholarships.

I personally go in another direction rather than sign Lofton. We need to recruit players based from a position of strength rather than desperation and weakness. There are better players to be had IMO.

To everyone who is shooting down the idea of adding Lofton just keep in mind that you are likely criticizing a future Gopher. From the sounds of things if he is admitted to school it's a done deal. I'm not trying to say you can't have these opinions, just something to think about.

To everyone who is shooting down the idea of adding Lofton just keep in mind that you are likely criticizing a future Gopher

What is your point? Did people take it easy on other recruits they didn't think were worth an offer? Where they kind to Mav, Oto, King, etc. just because they were current gophers?

No need to just rip a kid for no reason, but if you have issues with a recruit getting an offer/scolly that is a large part of this site.

What is your point? Did people take it easy on other recruits they didn't think were worth an offer? Where they kind to Mav, Oto, King, etc. just because they were current gophers?

No need to just rip a kid for no reason, but if you have issues with a recruit getting an offer/scolly that is a large part of this site.

My point is simply that it looks like Lofton will likely be a Gopher and efforts might be better concentrated on supporting him and hoping that he does well. He is someone who late in the season proved he can pour in buckets at the collegiate level and he brings something that we don't have much of at the moment, someone who can create his own shot. Also, to your point, I would say that all three of the guys listed probably didn't deserve much of the criticism they received (although I do understand the frustration at times). Like I said, people are certainly free to have these opinions and express them, I just don't agree nor see the point. While I understand some of the issues he's had, I have a hard time rooting against a proven scorer who wanted to be here so bad that he would wear Gopher socks and accessories to his high school games when Tubby was visiting to see another player just to try and catch his attention. That's just me though, not everyone shares my view and that's just fine.

To everyone who is shooting down the idea of adding Lofton just keep in mind that you are likely criticizing a future Gopher. From the sounds of things if he is admitted to school it's a done deal. I'm not trying to say you can't have these opinions, just something to think about.

I'm not rooting against Zach...I wish good things for him. I just feel there are better prospects out there to be had. If he does end up a Gopher, I'll root my a$$ off for him!

I'm not rooting against Zach...I wish good things for him. I just feel there are better prospects out there to be had. If he does end up a Gopher, I'll root my a$$ off for him!

Out of curiosity, who are these better prospects? Other than Justin Martin, who seems room still have some work to do to even graduate and be able to transfer.

If Richard wants this kid then I'm all on board. If we do sign him then it will be interesting to see how we use the final scholarship.

Hoping for Konate and Justin Martin. Martin would make this team immediately better next year and would be done, which leaves us the scholarship to use next year when things will be wide open. Lofton has to sit anyway next year. So I hope for Martin. But if lofton gets it then we will cheer him on too.

Top Bottom