Zach Lofton Update

It's a Pig Man!

Reaction score
Few things Ryan James posted to GI:

1. First of all, Lofton did not get kicked off Illinois State. He wants to be a Gopher and they released him. That's why he missed the last 3 games.

2. Apparently it is seeming more and more likely that the coaches are interested in Lofton and his scoring ability. If they offer its a done deal, the kid absolutely loves the U.

3. James thinks Lofton has gotten and bad rap and thinks he comes off as a very nice, we'll spoken kid.

4. James thinks that Lofton will be a Gopher.

5. Lofton will have to sit out a year.

Feel free to move this to the recruiting thread bit I thought it warranted it's own thread.

Figured something must be going on because I just got a twitter notification that a bunch of people I follow started following Lofton. He'd be a plan B for me. I want a 6'6 or 6'7 wing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

1. First of all, Lofton did not get kicked off Illinois State. He wants to be a Gopher and they released him. That's why he missed the last 3 games.

2. Apparently it is seeming more and more likely that the coaches are interested in Lofton and his scoring ability. If they offer its a done deal, the kid absolutely loves the U.

3. James thinks Lofton has gotten and bad rap and thinks he comes off as a very nice, we'll spoken kid.

Feel free to move this to the recruiting thread bit I thought it warranted it's own thread.

He does score but he shoots a lot and misses. 29% from three and 33% from the field.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66430/zach-lofton

I've been hearing a lot of the same, that Gophers and Zach are pretty much a done deal. But I didn't want to jinx the deal, so I was gonna wait until I saw/heard something very official and then make a thread.

But Ryan James seems like a reliable enough source to start a thread.

I'm excited for this move always thought Lofton had big time talent, he just took the longer and harder route to be able to put it on display and I think he is a bigger & better player and person because of that journey.
(Quakerdale Prep School, San Jacinto-Juco, illonois State Missouri Valley Conference)

The best thing about it is people overlook his ball-handling, passing, and defensive ability.

He does score but he shoots a lot and misses. 29% from three and 33% from the field.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66430/zach-lofton

This is true, but you have to consider he played on the most inexperienced team in the country. They got some quality wins and he really hit his stride the second half of the season. Shooting 40% from 3 over the last 10 games of the season, and also he was often depended on to try and shoot his team back into games which contributed to his shooting percentage.

I've been hearing a lot of the same, that Gophers and Zach are pretty much a done deal. But I didn't want to jinx the deal, so I was gonna wait until I saw/heard something very official and then make a thread.

But Ryan James seems like a reliable enough source to start a thread.

I'm excited for this move always thought Lofton had big time talent, he just took the longer and harder route to be able to put it on display and I think he is a bigger & better player and person because of that journey.
(Quakerdale Prep School, San Jacinto-Juco, illonois State Missouri Valley Conference)

The best thing about it is people overlook his ball-handling, passing, and defensive ability.

This is true, but you have to consider he played on the most inexperienced team in the country. They got some quality wins and he really hit his stride the second half of the season. Shooting 40% from 3 over the last 10 games of the season, and also he was often depended on to try and shoot his team back into games which contributed to his shooting percentage.

Yup, he was better the last half of the season. He had some "rough" nights early on, 3-11, 3-15, 3-16, 3-18. 0uch.

Was Lofton a freshman last year? Does that mean that he would have 3 years to play 3 after redshirting next year?

My favorite part of lofton is that his GH sponsor, Jigga, is level headed and matter of fact. I can handle that kind of fanboyism

Figured something must be going on because I just got a twitter notification that a bunch of people I follow started following Lofton. He'd be a plan B for me. I want a 6'6 or 6'7 wing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
How tall is Lofton?

Was Lofton a freshman last year? Does that mean that he would have 3 years to play 3 after redshirting next year?

he was a sophomore after playing JUCO so he would have 2 years left if indeed he can still redshirt.

Watching him in high school he could flat out score... but he was such a head case.. walk I mean walk back on defense.. he got many T's ... so if he really wants to be a gopher he knows what he is getting into..because if he doesn't get after it pitino will be all over his ass

I am ok with this signing if that's what happens.. Always want kids who really really want to be here.

I'll also add that if the kid wants to be here than I want him, a Minnesotan that wants to be a gopher means Pitino won't have to harp on him on the little things. Also i don't think defense will be an issue since he's motivated. Looked like in his film that he shot with his right, but he dribbles with his left primarily, thought that was interesting

He definitely looked impressive to me from those highlight tapes.

If he needs to sit out a year that'll be perfect because we'll need a SG to help fill in behind Andre Hollins when he graduates.

Solid move if it happens. We are going to need a scorer when Andre graduates. Now we just need to get a grad transfer wing and we will be set. I'd rather us go after Manyang for 2015 than give the last scholly to Konate.

Solid move if it happens. We are going to need a scorer when Andre graduates. Now we just need to get a grad transfer wing and we will be set. I'd rather us go after Manyang for 2015 than give the last scholly to Konate.

How interested are we in Manyang and if so, is it mutual, gotta think a Duluth native would so some interest

After seeing some highlights, I agree it looks like he could help us replace Dre. I still kind of envision McNeil filling that role, but Lofton would definitely be insurance and worst case scenario he'd be a spark plug off the bench. The attitude stuff concerns me a bit, but I will trust the staff in that regard. His game from the little I've seen, is like a hybrid of Dre and Westbrook, which would be awesome if his head is on straight.

If he needs to sit out a year that'll be perfect because we'll need a SG to help fill in behind Andre Hollins when he graduates.

I had the same thought after watching film very briefly. I have no idea which way recruiting is going to go this year, but we really need an experienced wing to at least split time with Morris. If we can strengthen the 3, I think the rest of the pieces will fit together nicely. Gaston and Lofton as a start for 2015/16 makes sense to me.

After seeing some highlights, I agree it looks like he could help us replace Dre. I still kind of envision McNeil filling that role, but Lofton would definitely be insurance and worst case scenario he'd be a spark plug off the bench. The attitude stuff concerns me a bit, but I will trust the staff in that regard. His game from the little I've seen, is like a hybrid of Dre and Westbrook, which would be awesome if his head is on straight.

Hey madman, have you ever met anyone who has his head on straight???

How interested are we in Manyang and if so, is it mutual, gotta think a Duluth native would so some interest

I wish I knew, but I hope Pitino has contacted him. He is going to be one of the top JUCO recruits for 2015 so he wont be an easy get. Their has been a report that Kansas is interested as well.

I know for a fact they started recruiting him fairly recently. Not sure exactly how interested Manyang is, but I know he wants to go somewhere that plays uptempo and being JUCO I'd imagine immediate playing time is a major factor too, so Minnesota would make sense for him.

I'd like to see another Duluth native, Johnny Woodard get a look for 2015.

Love the Lofton taking over for Hollins take. Would be be a true scorer starting or coming off the bench.

Top Bottom