ACC/Big 10 Challenge matchups shouldnt' be far away: Trip to South Bend for Gophers?

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
ACC/Big 10 Challenge matchups shouldn't be far away: Trip to South Bend for Gophers?

We're three weeks away from when the ACC/Big Ten Challenge pairings were announced last year (May 8), so it might be time to think about who the Gophers will draw. In 2014 there will be 14 Big Ten schools and 15 in the ACC, so I'll assume the ACC will do what it's done in the past, exclude its worst team from the previous season (Virginia Tech). Based on matchups in recent challenges, I've guessed where each team will play (home or away), splitting teams into their most likely group.

ACC Home
1. Boston College
2. Clemson
3. Florida State
4. Louisville
5. Miami
6. North Carolina
7. Notre Dame

Big Ten Away
1. Iowa
2. Michigan State
3. Minnesota
4. Nebraska
5. Ohio State
6. Purdue
7. Rutgers

Big Ten Home
1. Illinois
2. Indiana
3. Maryland
4. Michigan
5. Northwestern
6. Penn State
7. Wisconsin

ACC Away
1. Duke
2. Georgia Tech
3. NC State
4. Pitt
5. Syracuse
6. Virginia
7. Wake Forest

Excluded?
Virginia Tech

A wild guess at the potential matchups, in order of intrigue? I attempted to avoid rematches, and ended up with only one.

1. Duke @ Wisconsin
2. Michigan State @ North Carolina (rematch)
3. Syracuse @ Michigan
4. Ohio State @ Louisville
5. Virginia @ Illinois
6. NC State @ Maryland
7. Pitt @ Indiana
8. Minnesota @ Notre Dame
9. Nebraska @ Clemson
10. Iowa @ Florida State
11. Purdue @ Miami
12. Wake Forest @ Northwestern
13. Georgia Tech @ Penn State
14. Rutgers @ Boston College

Assuming their stud (K.J. McDaniels) doesn't opt for the NBA, my preference would be the Gophers draw Clemson among the mid-pack ACC teams.

I forgot about Louisville being in the ACC. I'm hoping they make a trip to The Barn for 2015 Challenge!

I could see us getting Miami, too although I could see us getting Notre dame or Clemson or even Pitt, as long as we are on the road

South Bend is not all that far away from Madison, so I'd consider making the trip. Only time I've ever been to there was for my first marathon, I was extremely underwhelmed. Small crappy city that kind of reminded me of Spokane, Washington.

South Bend is not all that far away from Madison, so I'd consider making the trip. Only time I've ever been to there was for my first marathon, I was extremely underwhelmed. Small crappy city that kind of reminded me of Spokane, Washington.

I was underwhelmed as well. Saw a fantastic drug raid. Other than that the campus is beautiful!

More of a slightly larger Janesville than anything else. Beautiful campus, but terribly depressing town.

I agree with you, SS, that the OSU @ Louisville matchup makes a lot of sense. That is what I am hoping for.

I have a feeling they'll put us with Miami or VT, because they always do rematches. I would LIKE to see us play either NC State or Notre Dame!

Anyone but VT, FSU or Miami.

I predict UVa will be at Maryland.

I have a feeling they'll put us with Miami or VT, because they always do rematches. I would LIKE to see us play either NC State or Notre Dame!

NC State would be a fun matchup.

Per Andy Katz

ACC/Big Ten Challenge pairings will be announced next week.

He says Duke will be on the road, which means the Dukies likely will draw Big Ten favorite Wisconsin.

With Clemson stud K.J. McDaniels announcing he's going pro, Notre Dame appears to be the Gophers' most realistic road option. Assuming Jerian Grant is back for Notre Dame, the Irish would be a solid test for the Gophers.

No Florida State, please, I'm begging.

He says Duke will be on the road, which means the Dukies likely will draw Big Ten favorite Wisconsin.

With Clemson stud K.J. McDaniels announcing he's going pro, Notre Dame appears to be the Gophers' most realistic road option. Assuming Jerian Grant is back for Notre Dame, the Irish would be a solid test for the Gophers.

One of the few times you'll catch me cheering for Wisconsin.

I will be the most passionate Duke hater next year. I hope Tyrus gets knocked out real early in the tourney.

Is that a guess, or did you hear something? Pretty sure the Challenge has gone away from playing games at neutral sites?

Just a slam at Coach K's dislike of true road non-conference games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the few times you'll catch me cheering for Wisconsin. I will be the most passionate Duke hater next year. I hope Tyrus gets knocked out real early in the tourney.

I would LOVE for the Gophers to get Duke for that very reason.

I would love for them to stick it to Duke and make them go to Maryland after ACC reconfigured their schedules last year to make sure Duke did not go to College Park

I vote for Florida State for purely selfish reasons. I live in Tallahassee. Also looking forward to watching baseball Gophers against FSU next week.

I vote for Florida State for purely selfish reasons. I live in Tallahassee. Also looking forward to watching baseball Gophers against FSU next week.

If we never play FSU again I will be happy

I disagree, I think Duke will play at Michigan. Wisconsin at home, could draw UNC maybe.

Top Bottom