Peter Westerhaus: Game Taken Away Too Soon

Seems like a great young man, thanks for posting. From the story:

While his playing days are over, Westerhaus hopes to student coach with the Gophers. Kill approached him with the opportunity to possibly do so. Last week, he attended a spring ball practice, wanting to see teammates and coaches.

“He’s been incredible,” said Westerhaus of Kill. “Checking in, calling. It’s really been amazing. It’s like he has a sixth sense where he knows when I’m really having a tough time I’ll get a call from him and it really picks me up. He’s been so understanding and great to our whole family. He’s an incredible man. Great coach, but how he has treated me through this has been unbelievable.”

“What he’s gone through,” said Westerhaus of Kill, who suffers from epilepsy and is a cancer survivor, “he’s an inspiration. He and I can relate on a level most people can’t. Being able to talk about things has been nice. That relationship, that bond, that connection.”

Go Gophers!!

Barker's Mom's best friend does not agree with Westerhaus' take on Jerry Kill.

Feel really bad for Westerhaus. Very, very tough situation to have hit just as he was entering the peak of his athletic career.

Barker's Mom's best friend does not agree with Westerhaus' take on Jerry Kill.

Feel really bad for Westerhaus. Very, very tough situation to have hit just as he was entering the peak of his athletic career.

Please do not ruin an inspirational story with reference to anything like yours. Thank you.

Wow. Our family went through this years ago. It consumed a portion of every family get together, not unlike any other debilitating disease. I wish Peter only the best, he still has a long road ahead of him.

Great story. Westerhaus has had a tough battle right from the beginning. If I recall, didn't he get in an accident the summer before he was to start at the U? I think that was pretty serious too.

I was excited when Westerhaus chose Minnesota. He's had a tough break. I hope Peter stays healthy and lives a happy life. He'll always be a proud Gopher!

I still remember the tv news coverage of his signing day, and just how unbelievably he happy he seemed to be to be signing with the Gophs. I've paid close attention to his story since, and realized how serious his situation was/is this past fall on a clip from one of the brick by brick videos when the team was running out of the tunnel. There was a shot of Peter running by the camera in his jersey and he was so skinny I couldn't believe it. I'm only hoping for the best for Peter and his family.

WCCO: Westerhaus Gets Courage Award For Impact On Gophers Football Team

“Him coming around and in the situation that he’s in, and when our players see him, they have no excuses to feel bad,” Kill said. “So I think that part of it alone and his toughness, mental toughness, certainly I think has helped our football team.”

“Life is about fighting through adversity. Everyone has their struggles and being able to overcome that, it’s just like football,” Westerhaus said.

Westerhaus had surgery in March and has put some weight back on. He says it’s the best he’s felt in years.

He has two more surgeries scheduled, then he’s planning to return as a full-time student.

He’s also talked with Coach Kill about working as a student-coach.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/...ge-award-for-impact-on-gophers-football-team/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom