All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

BC is pretty fat into the search and they are aiming at better coaches than Pitino. Gates, Howard Eisley and one of the Purdue assistants lead the way with the possibility of Bruce Pearl going back to his alma mater /

I would aim higher than Pitino if I were BC, too, but Gates, Eisley and a Purdue assistant is no guarantee to be better than Pitino.

BC is pretty fat into the search and they are aiming at better coaches than Pitino. Gates, Howard Eisley and one of the Purdue assistants lead the way with the possibility of Bruce Pearl going back to his alma mater /

Seems like Pearls in his perfect cesspool element at Auburn. Where cheating is not only accepted, it's encouraged

I would aim higher than Pitino if I were BC, too, but Gates, Eisley and a Purdue assistant is no guarantee to be better than Pitino.
I see all three of those as likely to much better than Pitino. Hiring Pitino is telling all your supporters that your trust someone with a horrific body of work. Eisley is very impressive, lots of contacts.

he can retire at 45.

I think he'd be entertaining as a TV analyst - not sure how insightful he would be, but he has a funny, quick wit

Oh, I didn’t mean he needed money. I just think he is all but guaranteed 5 years at BC, makes him a power 6 HC for 13 years. Solid when he’d be like 43

I was very confused when I saw this thread. The idea that Pitino could get another power 5 job at his point is laughable no matter how bad BC has been. I thought it would be best for Pitino and the Gophers if he tried to move on to like an A10 school or a really tough P5 job like BC a few years ago. He could have gotten a fresh start and he wouldn't have been far removed from his one winning conference season.

I actually think it would be best for Pitino if he had to grind at a low major now. The question is does he want to do it? A mid major job, which I think is unlikely, would probably put him in the 600-800K range which would be a huge pay cut for him, and a low major will be under 500K for sure. I really don't see a guy who wants to grind and prove himself, but others here see him differently than I do. He really needs to go somewhere and compete and earn a name for himself over time while he rehabilitates his image. Win a couple conference titles in the Sun Belt or America East over the next 5-6 years and then he may attract some interest at a higher level.

Some comparsions: Dan Monson: won more at Minnesota under sanctions, had an Elite Eight at Gonzaga under his belt and ended up at Long Beach State. John Groce: won more at Illinois in conference and had a run in the tournament at Ohio before that and is now back in the MAC at Akron (I assume that's not as good a job as Ohio?). Todd Lickliter: Pitino is approaching that level of ineptitude in conference play and Lickliter was an assistant most recently at Evansville before getting that Missouri Valley job last year when the head coach was forced to resign. Lickliter had some success at Butler before Iowa. Ed DeChellis left Penn State after his best year (and only tourney berth) to go to Navy. DeChellis had one winning record in 8 years at PSU and had a tourney berth and 3(at least shares) of conference titles at ETSU before PSU.

All of these guys had more on their resume before their failed tenure in the B1G. None has even sniffed another high major job. Pitino has youth on his side, but he's got a tough road ahead of him.

I was very confused when I saw this thread. The idea that Pitino could get another power 5 job at his point is laughable no matter how bad BC has been. I thought it would be best for Pitino and the Gophers if he tried to move on to like an A10 school or a really tough P5 job like BC a few years ago. He could have gotten a fresh start and he wouldn't have been far removed from his one winning conference season.

I actually think it would be best for Pitino if he had to grind at a low major now. The question is does he want to do it? A mid major job, which I think is unlikely, would probably put him in the 600-800K range which would be a huge pay cut for him, and a low major will be under 500K for sure. I really don't see a guy who wants to grind and prove himself, but others here see him differently than I do. He really needs to go somewhere and compete and earn a name for himself over time while he rehabilitates his image. Win a couple conference titles in the Sun Belt or America East over the next 5-6 years and then he may attract some interest at a higher level.

Some comparsions: Dan Monson: won more at Minnesota under sanctions, had an Elite Eight at Gonzaga under his belt and ended up at Long Beach State. John Groce: won more at Illinois in conference and had a run in the tournament at Ohio before that and is now back in the MAC at Akron (I assume that's not as good a job as Ohio?). Todd Lickliter: Pitino is approaching that level of ineptitude in conference play and Lickliter was an assistant most recently at Evansville before getting that Missouri Valley job last year when the head coach was forced to resign. Lickliter had some success at Butler before Iowa. Ed DeChellis left Penn State after his best year (and only tourney berth) to go to Navy. DeChellis had one winning record in 8 years at PSU and had a tourney berth and 3(at least shares) of conference titles at ETSU before PSU.

All of these guys had more on their resume before their failed tenure in the B1G. None has even sniffed another high major job. Pitino has youth on his side, but he's got a tough road ahead of him.
Good analysis. For the reasons you cite, he might just take the path of least resistance and seek an assistant position at a high-major, at least at first. One way or another, a sizable pay cut is likely.

I could see Richard getting a cushy assistant job from one of his dad's buddies. Slumming it in the sun belt, A10, MWC, or MAC doesn't seem like his style. I think he is better as a recruiter or talking head than he is as a HC.

I could see Richard getting a cushy assistant job from one of his dad's buddies. Slumming it in the sun belt, A10, MWC, or MAC doesn't seem like his style. I think he is better as a recruiter or talking head than he is as a HC.
I agree with this. I don't see him taking a non P5 job, however he could be a top assistant at a lot of places.

I don't want to see him on his old man's bench (I'm an Iona alum)

I think the last straw from quite a few of us was the comment after the Illinois game that "we were struggling to find continuity". Not sure if that was the exact quote from Pitino, but it was along those lines. But this many years he has had as head coach, that is a long, long time to be searching for soemthing you should be able to put in place in your first year as coach.

Most of us that post here are pretty hard core Gopher fans. But............never have I been so apathetic about following a Gopher team as this one.

Everybody: "There's no way on God's green earth that Tim Tebow is a first round quarterback."

[Denver Broncos not paying attention because they're busy writing their pick on a card]
Josh McDaniels. What a terrible hire. 11 years later and he's still stuck with Bill B.

I don't know I think Pitino could land better than some think. He has a lot of connections already having worked with some of the best in college basketball. We'll have to wait and see...maybe he's coaching a Big Ten team we all like for another 5 years :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I don't know I think Pitino could land better than some think. He has a lot of connections already having worked with some of the best in college basketball. We'll have to wait and see...maybe he's coaching a Big Ten team we all like for another 5 years :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
East coast would make sense for him and get a fresh start. His time here needs to be done and all need a new start. I agree that he could land just fine.

SI chimes in:

BC Men's Basketball Coaching Big Board: Version 1.0

Very Unlikely

John Thompson III & Richard Pitino: Don't know why these names were ever floated, probably by their agents, but not happening.

Go Gophers!!

East coast would make sense for him and get a fresh start. His time here needs to be done and all need a new start. I agree that he could land just fine.

I think his style will and would fit more in the SEC or Big East. The way he wants to play works better in those conferences. In the B1G meat grinder, it just doesn't work. Iowa is one of the few unicorns and it'll get them 4th this year at best with what is probably the best talent they will ever have. It just doesn't work.

I think his style will and would fit more in the SEC or Big East. The way he wants to play works better in those conferences. In the B1G meat grinder, it just doesn't work. Iowa is one of the few unicorns and it'll get them 4th this year at best with what is probably the best talent they will ever have. It just doesn't work.
What do you think his style of play is? It's hard for me to determine it.

The style of play to have a couple of good players and a hodge podge roster cobbled together works better against worse opponents, yes

You mean not playing defense? Not rebounding? An offense that centers around dribbling the ball alot and chucking 3's?

Pitino needs to go to a league where they don't play defense. The Big Ten is too tough for him. Go out east or west where defense is limited. He might have much better success there. This league just plays too hard on D and every good team has a nice inside game.

What do you think his style of play is? It's hard for me to determine it.

I think his preferred style and what he's had to do in the B1G are different. Offensively, having a ball dominant lead guard isn't uncommon in other major conferences. I think he wants to run the floor and press. You can't do that in this league. I know many think he's completely incompetent from a basketball knowledge standpoint. That's wrong and he has been from a kenpom standpoint pretty good offensively. It's not my preferred style nor do I like it, but stats don't lie. I do believe he that is just not a great teacher/motivator on the defensive end. In other conferences, you don't have to be great at D to win games. In the B1G it's pretty much a requirement.

To summarize, he wants to play fast, he wants to get up and down. Offensively he wants to shoot threes and be ball screen oriented. Defensively, he wants to play man and be aggressive up the line (He switched away a couple years ago because he wasn't able to do it in the B1G).

You mean not playing defense? Not rebounding? An offense that centers around dribbling the ball alot and chucking 3's?

Pitino needs to go to a league where they don't play defense. The Big Ten is too tough for him. Go out east or west where defense is limited. He might have much better success there. This league just plays too hard on D and every good team has a nice inside game.

His offense is more detailed than that, but sure. Do you watch a lot of Big East or SEC basketball? I recommend doing it and then watching ours. You will see some similarities. B1G is an outlier in many regards basketball wise for the areas you mentioned. We always have 9-10 teams in the top 40 in Kenpom defensively. We also haven't want an NCAA championship in 20 years....

I think his preferred style and what he's had to do in the B1G are different. Offensively, having a ball dominant lead guard isn't uncommon in other major conferences. I think he wants to run the floor and press. You can't do that in this league. I know many think he's completely incompetent from a basketball knowledge standpoint. That's wrong and he has been from a kenpom standpoint pretty good offensively. It's not my preferred style nor do I like it, but stats don't lie. I do believe he that is just not a great teacher/motivator on the defensive end. In other conferences, you don't have to be great at D to win games. In the B1G it's pretty much a requirement.

To summarize, he wants to play fast, he wants to get up and down. Offensively he wants to shoot threes and be ball screen oriented. Defensively, he wants to play man and be aggressive up the line (He switched away a couple years ago because he wasn't able to do it in the B1G).
I think that you are correct in what he would like to do. Just like his old man, dominate guard play. What differs is that it seems there isn't much off ball movement and its on ball screen, stand around etc you watch the games so you know what I mean.
Do you remember at his first B1G media day he claimed he was going to change how the game is played in the B1G playing full court man to man? I remember Izzo laughing his face off when he said this.

I am not in the camp believing that he's incompetent because that is not true at all. He knows basketball. His failure in my opinion has everything to do with his ego and his arrogance. His priority 8 years ago should have been to hire a staff with the most experience coaching possible. Just look who he has chosen to surround himself with over the past 8 years (minus Ben and I think McHale was good) and look who is on our bench now.

One last thing, and my apologies for turning this into a bashing RP. Have you seen him put his arm around any of his players during a game and talk/coach them?

Top Bottom